PDA

View Full Version : b18c engine tick? help!

sang
10-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Hey guys I just recently bought an integra vtir 94 model, 180 on the clock. Engine is ticking, knocking, tapping.. whatever you wanna call it. its loud and constant. when cold start up it revs up to almost 3k revs, is that normal? really need the car up and running!

Was told that i may need a top end rebuild:
new rocket cover gasket
lifters adjusted
tappets inspected
cams inspected
injectors inspected

i can put a video up if someone wants to hear it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyl5p-LjdKM&context=C3cf9fbeADOEgsToPDskJA5cKd5G5z7UhNngOWLL-3
was wondering how much a top end rebuilt would cost? if anyone has done one
or should i consider putting a new engine in? bottom end has had work done prior to purchase so its in good shape.

my budget atm is 1500, 2000 dollars.

JPR28610
11-01-2012, 08:44 AM
if thats your budget, then you should be alright. IMO dont get a new engine, as you most probaly would not know the condition of the engine.

stndrd
11-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Are you located in Melbourne? If so PM me and we can organise a time for me to have a look at it.

Otherwise without hearing the sound it is hard to say what it will need. If the bottom end has already been re-built, just carry out head repairs

sang
11-01-2012, 10:01 AM
pmd, cheers jpr

sang
11-01-2012, 03:49 PM
if anyone wanted to hear it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyl5p...5z7UhNngOWLL-3

vtecing
11-01-2012, 08:33 PM
It may just need the rappers adjusted. Easy to do yourself if you have the spacing tool and required measurements . Tappet cover gasket is just recommended every time you open it up. Sometime it can go back on with no worries and just keep an eye open for weeping.

I'd say you'd be looking at around $100 for labour

Setanta
12-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Ummmm - did you really start it and instantly rev it to 3K+ rpm? Let the oil move around the motor before you do that shit please. That seems awfully loud to be fixed by just adjustments - it sounds like you have robbie the robot bouncing around in there. 100+ for labour - remember they charge by the hour and that little list is a good 2-3 hours work. Rebuilt top end (assuming everything is ok) is 2K easily to be done properly. Even if they cant fix it, they will charge you labour on the opening and inspection. Bite the bullet - it needs to be fixed (unles youtube is making that noise out to be worse than it sounds).

unl3a5h
12-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Ummmm - did you really start it and instantly rev it to 3K+ rpm? Let the oil move around the motor before you do that shit please.

he said it revs to 3k by itself so that is idle when cold. no that is definitlley not normal do the revs calm down and get lower?

leeK9
12-01-2012, 11:49 PM
that is bottom end rattle

you have had big end/rod bearing failure or its sounds to me like a dropped valve

im not 100% sure but all of the death rattled B series ive heard have sounded the same and sound very similar to yours

due to over revving the engine and poor quality oil or oil starvation

what did you have the engine revving to?

first things first get a compression test done to find out if the engine has dropped a valve or not but imo i think this is whats wrong

sang
13-01-2012, 12:18 AM
thank unl3a5h for clearing that up, im not sure of the revs get lower, havent wanted to start it up too many times cause of the sound. im pretty sure it does though.
leek9 thanks for the feedback. i only just got the car. the guy i got it off got it checked by a mechanic... was told it was top end and the car already had bottom end work done to it. really hoping its top end though, yeah it is a bit loud and worrying though. ive only driven it once since ive got it and that was to get it home, did not go pass 3k revs.

leeK9
13-01-2012, 12:34 AM
DO NOT start the engine again until you get a compression test done

unl3a5h
13-01-2012, 04:38 PM
DO NOT start the engine again until you get a compression test done

+1 could cause alot more damage to the engine get it towed to a good honda mechanic

jdmEG5
13-01-2012, 10:33 PM
you bought one hella thrashed honda. lol

sang
14-01-2012, 02:19 PM
jdmeg5: tell me about it. project car just became a headache