PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Second Hand S2000, Need Tires for Roadworthy - Suggestions?

beaugus
16-01-2012, 02:38 AM
Hey everyone, as the title implies I've very recently bought a second hand S2000 at a really reasonable price and I'm enjoying my first few days of ownership :)

Just had a quick questions for all the S2K experts out there that could possibly chime in, I've got the standard 16-inch wheels to work with at this stage and not really looking to upgrading rims until late year or around then, but I am in need of 2 new tires to pass road worthy this coming Thursday and could really use with some suggestions.

I've been a Bridgestone user for a long while, I'm not sure how the new Adrenaline's are by experience I hear both good and bad about them, what I'm after is basically a good performance tire until I decide to upgrade rims, suspensions and brakes etc.

In the end I think I'd just replace all 4 anyway, what does everyone suggest?

Thanks in advance.

sae
16-01-2012, 05:58 AM
Welcome aboard. I'd say your best bet is to order your tyres off tirerack. Turns out to he cheaper to import than to buy domestically

beaugus
16-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the tip Sae those prices are pretty hard to ignore, I could essentially be rolling away with a whole set of 4 for virtually the same price as two or three in some cases :cool:

The only issue is has anyone ordered from here before? I'm at checkout but they're system only deals with US and Canadian zip codes.

After seeing these prices though you'd be mad to buy local sad to say.

A set of Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1's might be the way to go for the budget

p33r
16-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Z1s are awesome. You have to deal with a representative through email, who will give you a total quote. Then you do an international money transfer after they give you bank details. Most banks charge a slight fee like $20-30.

irvinchua
16-01-2012, 10:27 PM
I personally recommend the Advan Neova AD08 as I am driving on a set of these.

You would find this helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC83IbX__Gg

beaugus
16-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Thanks for all your input guys :) I'm glad I've discovered Tire Rack because there are some serious savings there!

sae
18-01-2012, 06:09 AM
One thing i don't like about tirerack:

1) Cannot pay via paypal or credit card for that matter

The usual process is to contact one of their staff via email. Ask for a quote for shipping the tyres and their bank account details. You'll need to make an international transfer [ask for all the specific details, company name, address BIC etc - contact your bank and ask for what they require]. They'll also give you a reference number which you'll need to quote on the international transfer. Once that's completed, they usually ship out the products fairly quickly. You should receive it within 10 days.

I purchased Hankook RS3's - cheaper than prices quoted in Australia for RS2's.

Sae

catacaustic
20-01-2012, 10:51 PM
If you want cheap, long-wearing and not quite so good around teh bends, then I'd suggest Bob Janes Zenon X7 I think they are. Thats what I've got on mine. They came with it when I bought it. So far over 25,000k's and they are still less then half worn. The grip in the rain isn't that great, and cornering you can tell that the tires are the "weak point", but they are about $150 a corner, so a lot cheaper then most other tyres out there.

Ten Four
20-01-2012, 11:03 PM
I've got Potenza Re001 Adrenalins and I absolutely hate them. Soft spongy sidewalls, makes steering so numb. Plus side is they grip extremely well but they just remove all steering feel which is worse imho.

azzar
22-01-2012, 02:24 AM
When i bought my S i had the same problem and didnt know what to get! i ended up getting a pair of RE002 it was a tad more expensive compare to others. i heard alot of reviews about RE001 but they dont make them any more. So the RE002 was the better upgraded version. To be honest i love these wheels and they grip really well in corners and in the wet. But i do think they might wear out quicker compare to others. but definitely worth it in my words. and it actually allows me to drive harder around corner with out the car kicking out. hope it helps!

stndrd
22-01-2012, 11:35 AM
If you are talking tyres in the Street Sport class (Goodyear Eagle F1, Potenza Adrenalin RE002 etc) Have a look at Toyo Proxie T1R. Great tyre and very competitively priced. Good allround, all weather tyre

euromandeluxe
22-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Star specs are amazing, the grip is great dry and when they're fresh wet grip is good too.

..however my set of rears are creeping up to about 13000km and are due for replacement soon. Perhaps too "aggressive" a driving style?

ncmx5
24-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Star specs are amazing, the grip is great dry and when they're fresh wet grip is good too.

..however my set of rears are creeping up to about 13000km and are due for replacement soon. Perhaps too "aggressive" a driving style?

Nah, that's normal.. mine only lasted 15k kms...