PDA

View Full Version : B18C EG4 Question

JPR28610
17-01-2012, 12:22 AM
Hey guys,

Ive tried searching and no luck. Probaly didnt look hard enough lol. I got a b18c in my EG4 and just wondering if anyone has had any experiences registering the engine to the EG4 chassis in NSW.

Ive been getting mixed answers. People sayins it ok but some people saying the EG4 has a max displacement of 1.5 so there i do need an eng cert.

Atm my chassis is regesterd to a d16 but was originally a carby from factory if that means anything.

Thanks guys, just want a heads up on what to do.

jdmEG5
17-01-2012, 01:43 AM
im in the same position, afaik its ok just to get it registered as long as ur car is registered as a 1.6L.. If you jump from 1.5L to 1.8L then u will need eng.cert.

Correct me if im wrong, i would also like to know..

JPR28610
17-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Well I'm off to the mechanics for a blue slip soon. I'll Post up the results

bennjamin
17-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Guiz

The increase can be within 15% ( and same emissions standards to the chassis)

So , a d15b7 can have a 1.71l engine in it. The b18c2 is 1.797cc so ( on paper , legit) it has to be engineered with upgraded brakes minimum to "adjust records". Get eg6/ek4/dc2 front brakes (262mm) and keep the rear discs. Will pass Nps.

trism
17-01-2012, 11:41 AM
You can go up to 15% bigger than the maximum engine available in that model before you need an engineers cert.

So an EG came with a 1.3, 1.5 and 1.6. So we base it off the biggest engine available, not the particular one that was in your car.

And a 15% increase on 1.6 is a tad over 1.8.

So you don't need an engineers cert for a b18 in an eg or an ek

sebtoombs
17-01-2012, 11:55 AM
In Tas, it also goes on rated power. So putting a B16A2 in my EG, its ok on the capacity increase, but rated power I'm increasing by nearly 60%, and need a mod plate. If you look on the Transport website for your state there should be plenty of info.

jdmEG5
17-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Hey ben,

Just random question, so in order to pass engineering cert in an EG, you only need to upgrade brakes and safety components?

What exactly is Engineering cert?

Sorry.. V read my sig V

bennjamin
17-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Hey ben,

Just random question, so in order to pass engineering cert in an EG, you only need to upgrade brakes and safety components?

What exactly is Engineering cert?

Sorry.. V read my sig V

Engineering cert?

This is now known as "VSCCS" - refer to this page for more info http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/authorisedinspectors/vsccs/vsccs_vehicle_owners.html

A rough run down is - is You need the same sized brakes that came with the engine or parrallel chassis/engines (IF greater than +15%).
For example , a b16a2 engine in a EG4 does not require brakes upgraded , as the standard brakes are made for the power/capacity (towing and what not) but if you want a b18c2 / c7 (greater than 15% increase BUT considered a replacement engine") you will need the same sized brakes front and rear that come on a chassis with that engine. For example dc2 vtir brakes or DC4 brakes. Hope that doesnt confuse you.

bennjamin
17-01-2012, 12:34 PM
here is a list (PDF format) that can find a VSCCS near you. This is the best way to ask any questions !

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/bulletin_1_v4_11_01_2012.pdf

jdmEG5
17-01-2012, 06:45 PM
thanks for making that clear ben! And ill check out the link when i get on the comp

JPR28610
17-01-2012, 07:07 PM
thanks guys, yeah i apparently have to get it engineered for it to be legal.

You can go up to 15% bigger than the maximum engine available in that model before you need an engineers cert.

So an EG came with a 1.3, 1.5 and 1.6. So we base it off the biggest engine available, not the particular one that was in your car.

And a 15% increase on 1.6 is a tad over 1.8.

So you don't need an engineers cert for a b18 in an eg or an ek

the blueslipper told me they dont include all eg chassis under one. eg4 max capacity is 1.5 and eg5 max capacity is 1.6 etc.

jdmEG5
17-01-2012, 10:21 PM
so u didnt get it registered? Now u have to go get it engineered? Spewwwwwwwwwwwwin

shepparton
17-01-2012, 11:56 PM
thanks guys, yeah i apparently have to get it engineered for it to be legal.

the blueslipper told me they dont include all eg chassis under one. eg4 max capacity is 1.5 and eg5 max capacity is 1.6 etc.

why? the motor fully modified or something??

JPR28610
18-01-2012, 12:07 PM
so u didnt get it registered? Now u have to go get it engineered? Spewwwwwwwwwwwwin

yeah spewing hard. probaly leave it as is unless i sell the car.....

JPR28610
18-01-2012, 12:11 PM
why? the motor fully modified or something??

no, because in nsw if you increase the max eng capacity for the chassis you have by more than 15% then you need engineer cert. I thought if i had any eg than the max capacity would be 1.6 which makes a 1.8 alright without a eng cert. But i was wrong lol I have a EG4 chassis which is max 1.5 so i can i have anything under 1.7.

jdmEG5
18-01-2012, 05:24 PM
i think its best to get it engineered man, do the brakes and what ever is required..

The only thing to pass the eng cert is only brakes isnt it? Im on the same boat as u man so i really find this tread useful..

joeyybruh
18-01-2012, 07:57 PM
In the long run , in my opinion .. id rather pay that little extra for the engineering cert and upgrade anything necessary for the swap . If you engrave that onto where the existing stamp , itll decrease the value of the engine .. could be deemed as dodgy , if you go that far into a swap , might as well do everything right . why go so far to cut the only worried legal aspect of the swap ? ..

To the OP , why not sell your existing EG4 and get an EG5 ? .. i have an EG5 and i finished completing my swap , its been a month since BYP completed the swap . 1.6 to 1.8 --> getting receipt of purchase , when it was completed , who completed the conversion and any relevant information . as far as i know , as everyone stated , i only need a blue slip .

also the EG5 already has rear disks so no need to touch the back brakes . only thing im upgrading is the front brakes . dc2r calipers , finding the supporting knuckles and hubs , 282 slotted rotors redrilled to 4x100 so i can keep my existing rims , brake master cylinder and booster .

fronts will be upgraded and passing shoudnt be too much of a hassle .
if not , engineer it bro . not worth it if you get into an accident and void everything , or get pulled over and get defected for not having your engine registered to the chassis .
driving an engine not registered to the chasis is just as bad as driving without rego . driving without rego is 1000 dollar fine .

A colleague of mine drove to work , didnt know it ran out of rego , got pulled over by the radars and scanning equipment coppers use , copped a 1000 dollar fine .. on the way back home . copped another 1000 dollar fine by a different cop . told the cops he already got booked but threw his paper away after being hot tempered .
2000 dollars for something he was gonna register the next day . true story .

JPR28610
18-01-2012, 11:14 PM
yeah, but if im going to buy a eg5 and go waste so much time swapping both engines in both cars i might aswell just engineer it lol. i guess i might aswell finish the project completely (supercharge/turbo, b20 block etc) before i engineer it. Atm it should engineer without any probs, since all the brakes are upgraded and so on but why waste my money if im going to mod it further. Also from what ive read on this forum, if you do 282 fronts you should upgrade the back?

and for the value of my car, if i dont sell it i dont care about the value. and if i do sell it then it will definately be registered to the chassis.

so for now ill just leave it as is. i mean i drive the car once a week/fortnight and whats the chances of me getting pulled over, and copper checking the engine code (KNOCK ON WOOD LOL). but yeah in saying that i DONT advise anyone to drive a car with the numbers not matching.

AHHH THE HEADACHES AND MONEY IN THIS CAR LOL

bennjamin
19-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Mate , please don't drive with a unregistered engine.

1. No insurance cover for it
2. Illegal
3. Illegal ?

JPR28610
19-01-2012, 10:46 AM
k i probaly register it soon..

GSi_PSi
19-01-2012, 03:36 PM
JPR28610=

http://okayface.com/okay-face.jpg

JPR28610
19-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Lol..

ma081010
02-02-2012, 04:21 PM
hey buddy i have a b18c2 eg4 in adelaide and had a D15y twin carby in it before. i went for the inspection and i passed. what they said + was i think is, the maximum increase of capacity here is 200c.c., but its depends on the car, not model. well i'll make it clearer, say.. u have an eg3, and eg3 is registered as d13y, however, for eg models there are 1.6 litre VTI engines, so the maximum u can go with is 1.8 litre. plus they will make sure your engine hasnt been modified e.g. camshafts cam gears to increase perfomance power, brakes to be upgraded with the brakes of where the engine came from (brakes for VTIR or type r if ur getting b18c) and finally need to do an emission test to make sure it matches the requirement.

jdmEG5
03-02-2012, 11:24 PM
hey buddy i have a b18c2 eg4 in adelaide and had a D15y twin carby in it before. i went for the inspection and i passed. what they said + was i think is, the maximum increase of capacity here is 200c.c., but its depends on the car, not model. well i'll make it clearer, say.. u have an eg3, and eg3 is registered as d13y, however, for eg models there are 1.6 litre VTI engines, so the maximum u can go with is 1.8 litre. plus they will make sure your engine hasnt been modified e.g. camshafts cam gears to increase perfomance power, brakes to be upgraded with the brakes of where the engine came from (brakes for VTIR or type r if ur getting b18c) and finally need to do an emission test to make sure it matches the requirement.

thats in adelaide..
In nsw we have different rules and regulations compared to other states. I.e, in vic, most engine conversions needs to be mod plated, regardless u stick with the same engine capacity as the original manufactured one whereas in syd/nsw, we only need to get blue slipped, change of record/engine number, thats all..

Keeping to this topic, op and others who are in the same position needs to get their car engineered to get the motor registered with the chassy.. I've asked around and also asked people them selves who engineers highly moded vehicles. (not just cams,exhaust or shit like that, they engineer LS1 V8 commodore engines in a hilux ute) so im sure they know what theyre talking about.

And like some said,
if u have an eg5 which came in a 1.6L(max), u dont need engineering cert in nsw, its no more than 15% increase in capacity than orginal.

Hope i made some sense there..

K24EK
15-02-2012, 11:29 AM
looking to sell your eg at all?