PDA

View Full Version : EK4 Air Con

Sisyphus
17-01-2012, 07:36 PM
I want to get the air con going again in my EK4 but due to the value of the car am not willing to shell out the 800 sheckles wanted to replace the system. I am sure there is a leak in the condenser (had regassed and gas escaped over 3months) and subequently the refrigerant is leaking out and the air is not being cooled. Are there any pitfalls in buying a second hand condenser from a wreckers? If I get a 3 month warranty I imagine any leaks will be obvious in that time frame.
Second is there a step by step guide for swapping out the old condenser with a new one? I would like to do the job myself but have limited experience. Any help would be awesome. I will try to document the process with photos , text and video to give back should anyone else want to do the job.

thanks

dorikin
17-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Easy to replace. Bolt out the old one and bolt in the new one.

Replace the receiver/drier while you're at it.

exquisit
17-01-2012, 08:24 PM
and replace o rings

grifty
17-01-2012, 09:11 PM
get a leak test done first, they should add a special die that can be seen under a UV light wearing special glasses. That way they know where the leaking is coming from.

mocchi
18-01-2012, 04:17 PM
get a leak test done first, they should add a special die that can be seen under a UV light wearing special glasses. That way they know where the leaking is coming from.

das rye, leak might not be from condensor or its fittings.