PDA

View Full Version : Stock ek McPherson strut

b16a2cr
22-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Does anyone know how to chop springs??
I need help!

senna
22-01-2012, 05:05 PM
You need help if you are considering chopping your springs!

seriously, just buy some kings or whatever, don't be cheap!

blabla
22-01-2012, 05:47 PM
All springs moorebank 400 fitted and made to what ever height you want it.

Tai
23-01-2012, 12:44 AM
EK civic is double wishbone not macpherson

And chopping springs is illegal is unsafe

DLO01
23-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Don't skimp man. Its a bad way to mess with your suspension safety wise and as said illegal.

stndrd
23-01-2012, 02:21 PM
I can get a full set of BRAND NEW King Springs Super or Ultra Lows for under $400 (not including fitting) if you want them instead of chopping up your springs

trism
23-01-2012, 03:57 PM
what a dumb thread.

if you have to ask, you shouldnt do it.

mugen_ctr
23-01-2012, 07:11 PM
You drive a civic, not a commodore, dont cheap out!

stndrd
23-01-2012, 08:03 PM
No need for all the hate

grifty
23-01-2012, 08:28 PM
No need for all the hate

We are not hating, chopping your springs isnt a very good idea considering it can fall out if you go over a bump lol.

stndrd
23-01-2012, 09:49 PM
As a mechanic, I know this, but 2 or 3 posts stating not to should be enough

trism
23-01-2012, 10:10 PM
This is ozhonda but.

Lololoool.

To the OP. I do not recommend this, and neither myself, or ozhonda can be held liable for anything negative that may occur if you follow through with this.

First up you need to remove the struts and take the springs out. Don't ask how, use your head and do a search on google.

Then once you've got the springs out, put them I'm a vice where they won't move. Then using an angle grinder, cut off how ever many coils you want. Don't go half, start off with say, a third of the total length of the spring. So if there's 12 coils on it, cut off 3 or 4.

Then spray the end you cut with paint so it doesn't rust.

Put it all back together and enjoy your VN Commodore spec suspension.

Oxer
24-01-2012, 01:04 PM
I can get a full set of BRAND NEW King Springs Super or Ultra Lows for under $400 (not including fitting) if you want them instead of chopping up your springs

Apart from the spring rate, and maybe the top of the spring depending on how you cut it, whats the difference between a cut spring and a king spring?

We are not hating, chopping your springs isnt a very good idea considering it can fall out if you go over a bump lol.

an EK has four struts.... It is impossible for the spring to fall out. It may become dislodged, Maybe, but the chance of that is slim.

stndrd
24-01-2012, 01:21 PM
The OP is wanting to get that stanceworks or hellaflush (I assume) look by slamming his car. At least by going to king springs he is doing it in a safer manner than chopping springs

Oxer
24-01-2012, 03:20 PM
The OP is wanting to get that stanceworks or hellaflush (I assume) look by slamming his car. At least by going to king springs he is doing it in a safer manner than chopping springs

For starters, Stanceworks isnt a look.

Cutting a couple of coils off isnt slamming your car either. I love people who cry about cut springs and how unsafe it is. "you're going to kill yourself and other road users" is my favourite line. Ive driven a car with NO springs, I actually dailied it for 2 months... Didnt kill anyone, nor myself. Had some fun, destroyed the car mechanically, and not a single **** was given.

senna
24-01-2012, 03:38 PM
http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/thumb/7/73/JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg/618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

stndrd
24-01-2012, 03:41 PM
I will no longer comment as logic has been lost

blabla
24-01-2012, 03:41 PM
LOL... Seriously this is a pointless thread.... It's not that hard to look for a set of second hand lowered springs... Worst case scenario get the springs compressed...or even eBay sleeve setup under 200 delivered from Options Australia.... Cutting is the worst/ no sussy is the worst thing you can do to any car doesn't matter who the car maker is! I have been through 3 setups coilovers all the way.

BlitZ
24-01-2012, 06:12 PM
this thread is funny...

its funny cause I know Jumbo springs from "All Springs" are not captive springs.. anhahah u hit a bump and they will fall out as well eheehe..

I reckon if u hit a bump hard enough for the spring to drop sideways, your car will proabably be air born ..

Dont forget u can cut your spinrgs so they still sit captive (you cut the dead coils)

mugen_ctr
24-01-2012, 11:50 PM
For starters, Stanceworks isnt a look.

Cutting a couple of coils off isnt slamming your car either. I love people who cry about cut springs and how unsafe it is. "you're going to kill yourself and other road users" is my favourite line. Ive driven a car with NO springs, I actually dailied it for 2 months... Didnt kill anyone, nor myself. Had some fun, destroyed the car mechanically, and not a single **** was given.

All i can say is LOL.... anything to get more low ay

Removing springs, wtffff LOL...... that is a big no no, it compromises handling...

Handling should never be compromised, ever!

Looks are one thing, handling is another, if ur smart u would whats best for ur car......

Theres a reason why ppl dont cut springs..... and if u know whats good for ur cars handling, u wouldnt do it...

trism
25-01-2012, 06:08 AM
Lol at lecturing oxer about suspension and handling.

Oxer
25-01-2012, 08:34 AM
this thread is funny...

its funny cause I know Jumbo springs from "All Springs" are not captive springs.. anhahah u hit a bump and they will fall out as well eheehe..

I reckon if u hit a bump hard enough for the spring to drop sideways, your car will proabably be air born ..

Dont forget u can cut your spinrgs so they still sit captive (you cut the dead coils)

http://alltheragefaces.com/img/faces/png/misc-jackie-chan.png

How can a spring "fall out" when there is a shock running through the middle of it? wtf is wrong with people?

All i can say is LOL.... anything to get more low ay

Removing springs, wtffff LOL...... that is a big no no, it compromises handling...

Handling should never be compromised, ever!

Looks are one thing, handling is another, if ur smart u would whats best for ur car......

Theres a reason why ppl dont cut springs..... and if u know whats good for ur cars handling, u wouldnt do it...

http://www.adisc.org/forum/attachments/babyfur-littlefur/5624d1314490967-growing-trend-furry-community-orly.jpg

Take your e-mechanic knowledge elsewhere, 80% of the time you have no idea what you are talking about, the other 20% is research on the internet.

Lol at lecturing oxer about suspension and handling.

this is ozhonda hahahahahahaha. You remember the car Im talking about right? God that was fun.

trism
25-01-2012, 09:07 AM
That ed hatch was boss lol. Didn't you put bolts through the spring seats to stop the shocks bottoming out?

Oxer
25-01-2012, 09:15 AM
nope, shocks were blown when I bought the car haha. Most fun Ive ever had with $200 that car was.

senna
25-01-2012, 09:34 AM
You should probably put a disclaimer somewhere that you don't endorse removing the springs form a car and driving on it

You know, just to save some moron doing it in their daily or some shit

Oxer
25-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Anyone who is stupid enough to do it deserves what they get.