PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best bang for buck engine mod i should do next? Eg B18c

Egxris
23-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Hi Guys.

Just picked up my new car on friday (Civic running a B18c) was wondering what would be the best (next) power mod that would reap the most benefits would be..

Car currently has

B18c (vtir)
4/1 extractors
exhaust
Ram Intake pipe with pod

Also car has a Apex'i Neo SAFC.

Im thinking upgraded spark leads for 1kw more power lol

cheers

Neil

IV73CI
23-01-2012, 10:22 AM
ok so you just got your new pride and joy .,,

i would consider the below service before buying mods for ANY extra kw gains.

For peace of mind THAT you know it has been done - i would do the below first thing before buying anything else;

1) Change Oil / filter / spark plugs / fuel filters
2) Inspect / top up / change - Coolant, Brake & Clutch fluids, PS fluid.
3) Inspect/change belts - PS/ALT belts.
4) Inspect / change brake pads.
5) Check Timing/ignition.

6) Get the Apexi SAFC tuned (Optional)
7) Get a FPR and set psi to 40-45psi (Optional)

the first 5 things i always do when buying a car. i never trust when the seller says "Ive just done the Minor/Major service", for all we know it could have just been a top up of all fluids etc.

doing the above will definitely be the best bang for buck as it will make your car drive smooth and responsive and have a peace of mind that YOU know the service has been done.

Egxris
23-01-2012, 10:29 AM
cheers mate. all thats been checked/will be checked in the next week. just to let you know im not some noob with his first car. Just after some ideas on mods for the B18c engine. such as Skunk2 intake plenum and a 68mm throttle body worthy while? im after real life experiences etc.

Cars suspension and brakes are all sorted.

Apexi Neo looks to be just wired up only for gauges atm (displaying Rev/throttle/battery charge).

Coolant is nice and green.Engine conversion was done not long ago so coolant is fresh (as is the oils)
Oil will be changed this week.

stndrd
23-01-2012, 11:44 AM
If you are going to put a FPR and bump up the pressure, be sure to put a new Walbro intank pump with it. Last thing you need is the stock D series pump (as for all you know, the pump has not been upgraded) to shit itself not long after you put on the FPR.

Personally, I would hunt down a 4.7 or 4.9 final drive. Altering your final drive will make your car quicker than any power mod would, otherwise just stick a supercharger or turbo kit on it if you are dead set on chasing killer wasps and away you go =]

Egxris
23-01-2012, 11:52 AM
cheers mate. Doubt i'll **** with the fuel pressure. Fuel pump has already been upgraded you can hear it buzzing away. The final ratio's are pretty high as is as its nice and torquy. Im going to keep this car NA leave the turbo to my 180sx.

IV73CI
23-01-2012, 12:00 PM
i didnt say your a noob - but thanks for letting me know that your not. :) all good :thumbs:

if your getting skunk2 TB and IM running on OEM ECU (Apexi NEO is not tuned).

Then i would suggest to get a programmable ECU - ditch the apexi neo.

This will definitely utilize all your current mods and skunk2 goodies to its full potential use.

You will definitely see power increase and gain no doubt!

HONDATA or similiar FTW!

stndrd
23-01-2012, 12:06 PM
ECU wise, I would recommend a Haltech Platinum series.

Also look into the Skunk2/MSD or D.I.Y GM Gen III (recommended to me by Haltech when I was going to build my B18) Coil over plug conversion for better & more accurate ignition timing

dougie_504
23-01-2012, 12:28 PM
S80 gbox with 4.7fd and oem lsd. Lightweight flywheel and hd clutch IMO

Egxris
23-01-2012, 12:29 PM
thanks mate already got that.

void-
23-01-2012, 12:31 PM
if u have a b18c2... def change that shitty IM, upgrade to skunk2 IM with 68mm TB, get a CAI, ecu pref s200-s300 and your good to go..

later on down the track i would change the gearbox for a type r, better gear ratios and LSD perhaps if your lucky :)

Egxris
23-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Might just for the mean time take it to a honda tuner and have the Apex'i Neo checked to make sure Vtec and fuel is all good(change spark leads first). Should gain a few kw from that, strip the interior when i take it to the track (replace seats with bride euroII's ive got).

Hanging to take this to the hills/haunted hills..

JPR28610
23-01-2012, 03:09 PM
read your other thread. upgrade your intake manifold and throttle body for bang for buck. then if you want get a cia and 421 headers. depends what your aiming for

then when your clutch is worn out, or gearbox fails on you upgrade to heavy duty clutch and lightened flywheel with lsd s80 gb

btw nice car

stndrd
23-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Seeing as you own a 180sx, I'm sure you would be familiar with Trent from Chequered Tuning (formally known as Status Tuning). He is an ex-Honda trained technician & as you know, works wonders with tunes. He tuned my C2 with a VAFC II and only charged $250 (then $100 for a touch up tune about 2 months later when I replaced the fuel pump).

Also if you live in the S.E suburbs and need a hand with anything, from sourcing parts to repairs, feel free to drop me a PM

Egxris
24-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Yeh mate known trent for years. He was geeing me up to turbo charge it lol

dougie_504
24-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Yeh mate known trent for years. He was geeing me up to turbo charge it lol

Probably your best 'bang-for-buck' mod, that's why...

stndrd
24-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Well there is a turbo kit in the for sale section if your half open to it.....

nigs
27-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Why would need a adjustable FPR? Afaik, most if not all cars are equipped with a raising rate fpr.
Maybe if you had different injectors....
But on a rather stock car? WTF?

MIKO_OL
27-01-2012, 11:25 AM
You say bang for buck , but whats your budget ? Anything can be done ! depends if you want performance , sound , looks , handling etc.