PDA

View Full Version : lookingb for an early jap built jazz.. couple of q's..

VT3C
23-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Thinking of buying an old jazz for a run- about, has to be auto for the mrs..
when was the 1st gen jap-built models released ?
Am looking for the vti-s if possible so if you know anything to look out for please let me know.
Thanks in advance

chow_tofu
24-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Hi there,

02 -05 Jazzes were made in Japan (just look for non-LED taillight models)

Things to lookout for is shuddering CVT gearbox, rear bearing problem, noisy A/C compressor and rear boot water leak.

Just test drive any auto Jazz, from startup to about 60km/h. If you feel any vibration from the engine or noise from the rear wheels, then you know youve got a problem. Check under the spare tire for any rust, it could be leaking water.

Our Jazz hasnt had the A/C problem so I wouldnt know.

Hope this helps:D

08ESE
29-01-2012, 07:08 PM
check the rear of the roof channels where they run into the hatch for cracks which cause leaks, these leaks will cause rust holes to form near where the hatch struts meet the body. surface rust there will be occuring from the INSIDE. also check in the spare wheel well for signs of dampness. white ones seem more prone to rust for some reason.

noisy air cond is another prob, but new compressors are cheap from the states on ebay. noisy rear wheel bearings were common, and manuals were known for noisy carrier bearings in the gearbox.

my 02 model has also had a leaky rear main seal on the engine since new. But in 150+ thousand kays it hasnt got any worse.

VT3C
01-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the tips, sounds like not a whole lot wrong with them.. i used to work at honda and when we traded jazzy-jeffs the japan built models seemed tighter but i wasnt looking at them to buy back then.

They had the buttonfake gearshift on the cvt didnt they? Thai built has flimsy paddles. Or were the semi- auto buttons only on the vtis not just the vti?

How strong is the ac on those models? I think the ac on the thai-built models i was selling new wasnt that good but one of the main reasons to buy is the ac, we,ve allreay had 2 days of 42 and one of 43 just in january..

Damn i want white :(

GU357
02-02-2012, 07:57 PM
the AC is pretty dam good tbh.

and abt the rear bearings they will most likely be replaced under warranty if u buy one and take it to a dealership.

also the VTi and VTiS had the button shift for 7 speed mode.
the Thai ones also had the 7 speed mode but used paddles instead.