PDA

View Full Version : removing eg tow bar..

cihanvtec
24-01-2012, 10:35 AM
hey guys, recently purchased an eg sedan.. it has a tow bar on it which is really ugly!! anyone know how hard this thing is to remove? i had a quick look under it but looked to be a hassle.. does the rear bar need to come off?

thanks

hondapop
24-01-2012, 11:16 AM
hey guys, recently purchased an eg sedan.. it has a tow bar on it which is really ugly!! anyone know how hard this thing is to remove? i had a quick look under it but looked to be a hassle.. does the rear bar need to come off?

thanks

There won't be any welding to the body, will all be bolted. Because there are so many brands of towbar made it's impossible to say where it's bolted but quite likely you'll need to remove the rear bar to get access.

trism
24-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Youll also need to get inside the boot, so strip out the boot floor and spare tyre, as there will possibly be bolts/nuts up inside it.

cihanvtec
24-01-2012, 05:30 PM
hmm thanks guys, ill have a closer look at it and do a write up. just wanted to get a rough idea of what im getting myself into.

hmetro24
25-01-2012, 12:12 AM
Tow bar is connected to the chassis of the car. you should see 2 bolts from each side, 2 above the muffler and 2 in the other side.

cihanvtec
25-01-2012, 12:54 AM
Tow bar is connected to the chassis of the car. you should see 2 bolts from each side, 2 above the muffler and 2 in the other side.

thanks man, do u know if the rear bar has to come off??

IV73CI
25-01-2012, 07:55 AM

depends on the design of the towbar frame. Some may require the removal of the rear bar and other dont.

You may also need some anti-freeze bolt remover as these bolts are pretty torqued and using a spanner/socket set will be an bitch ass to remove especially with the lack of leverage under the car.

spray the anti-freeze stuff, let it soak for 1minute then with a mullet/hammer gently tap the spanner anti clockwise to remove the bolts.

Otherwise if you have a portable snap-on torque driver or an air compressor it will be easier to remove the fcker.

i didnt have any of the above tools at the time, i ended up grinding some brackets off on my fozzy. which actually provided me extra reinforcement support on the rear bar (someone hit me from behind months later and they front end was shattered and thanks to the "extra reinforcement" my chassis wasnt affected at all .. lol ..(but my rear bumper was goneskies) ..

hmetro24
25-01-2012, 11:20 AM
I reckon it's better to take the bumper out so will be easier to reach bolts under the car.

dougie_504
25-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Got pictures mate? Hard to tell if bumper has to come off. IMO just be careful with ya wrench. Sometimes I wrap a little cloth around mine so I don't whack my paint haha :)