PDA

View Full Version : custom exhaust systems any good

a.tran
24-01-2012, 11:48 PM
was thinking of getting a custom built performance exhaust system bulit for my dc5 and was wondering if they are any good, and if u guys know any good places in sydney

Evok
25-01-2012, 12:01 AM
My DC2 runs custom headers with 2.5inch piping, i rather branded and tested stainless steel headers.
I would recommend getting big brand exhausts if you have money cause they have been dyno'd and proven to gain power with results. Custom you never know, maybe you will, maybe you might not. it really depends on your budget! your choice in the end :)

vtec23Q
25-01-2012, 10:34 PM
ive recently got my custom exhaust done on my DC5R and its better than the buddy club pro spec 3 that i had previously. 2.5 inch stainless steel aircraft grade piping with a stainless steel Cat and type one racing headers. much better than branded and cheaper you just gotta know what your doing.

curtis265
26-01-2012, 05:01 AM
I personally think that a branded catback is just a fancy muffler on a pipe... and a pipe is a just a pipe given it's the same material IMO.

The only issue with custom is the build quality, but any reputable shop will be able to put a good system together for

a.tran
26-01-2012, 03:27 PM
ive recently got my custom exhaust done on my DC5R and its better than the buddy club pro spec 3 that i had previously. 2.5 inch stainless steel aircraft grade piping with a stainless steel Cat and type one racing headers. much better than branded and cheaper you just gotta know what your doing.

where did you go?

mikool247
26-01-2012, 04:02 PM
I got a custom exhaust on my dc2 it isnt too bad, not too loud and not too soft either. Although i must admit it doesnt sound as good as some of the branded exhausts out there,but it does its job and for a reasonable price. You can try liverpool exhaust, doesnt hurt to give them a call and ask for a quote and how their exhausts are. My friend got his done there and he said they were very friendly and reasonable on pricing.

http://www.liverpoolexhaust.com.au/livoexh/home.htm

dougie_504
26-01-2012, 08:30 PM
^ Liverpool has a good rep. Just get something 2.5-3 ID, mild steel is a little quieter whereas stainless sounds higher pitched but will last a while longer. Get mandrels bends IMO, means you won't have ID inconsistencies at the angles like you do with a press-bent setup.

u mad?
26-01-2012, 08:38 PM
go with a brand name header with high flow metal cat.

go custom 3" with decent quality resonantor and muffler done at a reputable shop.

blabla
26-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Western muffler Fairfield.

vtec23Q
26-01-2012, 11:18 PM
where did you go?
liverpool exhaust.

marquee
26-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Yer headers get branded the lengths on the runners are different for evvery car aswell as optimal design.

Cat back just get custom its a pipe with a resenator and a muffler just ensure they use good steel

ellie123
27-01-2012, 01:52 PM
this is wat im confused about as well. i have a dc5 im putting toda headers but dont no wat the custom exhaust will sound like. anyone no where i can buy muffllers from. there are some branded ones out there that sound crazy. only if they came 63mm all are 60mm.

Benson
30-01-2012, 10:40 PM
The beauty of branded exhaust is that its an easy direct bolt-on system. Depending on which size diameter exhaust you choose, 60mm, 63mm or 70mm it will greatly affect the performance result. Here is a dyno grpah from one of our customer changing over from a Mugen 60mm Twinloop system to one of our own BYP Titanium series 70mm exhaust sytem

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/fatboyz39/Paultitdyno.jpg

I would only recommend custom if you cant get an off the shelf catback system. The DC5's has plenty of aftermarket catback system!

dougie_504
31-01-2012, 02:00 AM
^ K20? That's a ridiculous gain lol. 1kw per 1mm of ID. I'm sure the exhaust itself has a lot to do with it.

mocchi
02-02-2012, 08:10 AM
The beauty of branded exhaust is that its an easy direct bolt-on system. Depending on which size diameter exhaust you choose, 60mm, 63mm or 70mm it will greatly affect the performance result. Here is a dyno grpah from one of our customer changing over from a Mugen 60mm Twinloop system to one of our own BYP Titanium series 70mm exhaust sytem

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/fatboyz39/Paultitdyno.jpg

I would only recommend custom if you cant get an off the shelf catback system. The DC5's has plenty of aftermarket catback system!

so the only change was exhaust system, nothing else?

HauLe_
03-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Personally im not a fan of liverpool exhaust. Had a few problems with their custom exhaust on my car leaks everywhere but its fixed now. i want to get rid of it after i get a new exhaust. But it is very quiet at warm start can barely hear it, its sounds decent but i love the deep tone of other exhaust.

I've heard good things about Western mufflers, also westside mufflers but they are a bit pricey.

All in all its what your budget is. Go around and get a few quotes from well known muffler shops. Then make your decision

stocky
03-02-2012, 09:04 PM
My custom 3" exhaust from Westside. Its a flawless job, he installed multiple flanges, new stainless steel bolts, new rubber hangers and made it exactly to my needs. Ive been to other places and they've been rubbish.

http://users.tpg.com.au/vuong112/integra/IMG_0470%20(Small).JPG

Kay_lee
09-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Performance exhaust centre Northmead. Good place to get a custom exhaust at, and acouple users here on ozhonda from sydney knows/been there.

TGW92
13-02-2012, 06:24 PM
go with a brand name header with high flow metal cat.

go custom 3" with decent quality resonantor and muffler done at a reputable shop.

Agree with this, headers go brand name but catback you might as well go custom if funds are not plentiful :p

I chose branded headers, cat and catback for my dc2r but only because I wanted to make sure it'd still be relatively quiet, and also because I wanted to diy... And also because then I can say Fujitsubo not custom :p

Though a mate at an exhaust shop said that he would struggle to custom make headers as cheap as branded ones, and that branded would perform better still...

So yeah branded headers but do whatever you choose for the rest :)