PDA

View Full Version : qld Adjustable coilovers legal?

mattatnoosa
25-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Hi guys,

Want to put adjustable coilovers in my s2k, little more low, stiffness, etc.
I can't find any solid talk off coilovers adjustable coilovers being legal or illegal. anyone know?

90LAN
25-01-2012, 03:54 PM
unless you get the coilovers engineered
they are illegal

mattatnoosa
25-01-2012, 04:07 PM
even though I already have coilovers?

vtecing
25-01-2012, 06:09 PM
I heard tien SS where the only street legal coilovers?

Oz_Striker
25-01-2012, 09:34 PM
even though I already have coilovers?

This makes no sense to me

Edit: 90LAN is correct

mattatnoosa
01-02-2012, 11:26 AM
This makes no sense to me

Edit: 90LAN is correct

Well the S2k has coilovers, so I'd be replacing coilovers with different coilovers, instead of the general, can I change my suspension type to coilovers

trism
01-02-2012, 11:30 AM
ok, so what you have to realise, is that when people refer to "coilovers" they are refering to height adjustable suspension, not the design of 'coil over shock' that our hondas have.

mattatnoosa
01-02-2012, 11:33 AM
ok, so what you have to realise, is that when people refer to "coilovers" they are refering to height adjustable suspension, not the design of 'coil over shock' that our hondas have.

Ok, so I'm looking at adjustable coilovers for my s2000, are the legal at all? can you do a straight swap? or do the need to be engineered? are they easy to get a mod plate for?

mattatnoosa
01-02-2012, 11:35 AM
When you say your car already has coilovers, are you referring to the stock OEM type (which are still coilovers but not adjustable).

exactly what I'm saying, http://www.jdmyard.com/catalog09/t1r/ is what I'm looking at, I want to know if they will defs be legal.

trism
01-02-2012, 11:43 AM
No they are not legal because they are not ADR aprroved.

They only adjustable coilover that is legal for use on australian roads is Tein Super Streets.

They have been approved because they have brake line brackets, and cannot be adjusted below the minimum height specified in the ADRs (lowest point on the car no lower than 100mm)

hondapop
01-02-2012, 11:46 AM
OK. here's the relevant Qld transport website for light vehicle mods. Fair bit of reading (PDF). You could also try ringing Q transport for the name/s of an authorised inspector in your area.
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Vehicle-modifications/Light-vehicle-modifications.aspx

mattatnoosa
01-02-2012, 12:42 PM
No they are not legal because they are not ADR aprroved.

They only adjustable coilover that is legal for use on australian roads is Tein Super Streets.

They have been approved because they have brake line brackets, and cannot be adjusted below the minimum height specified in the ADRs (lowest point on the car no lower than 100mm)

So I've really got only one option... I hear that replacing springs in coilovers isnt legal either.... I now know what suspension I'm buying is..

trism
01-02-2012, 01:08 PM
To save confusion, when you're referring to the stock style of suspension, ie non adjustable coilovers, just call them suspension, or 'shock and spring combo' because the term coilover is used almost exclusively to describe adjustable suspension.

So if you are talking about simply replacing the spring on your stock shocks for a lowered one, no this is not illegal.

mattatnoosa
01-02-2012, 01:33 PM
To save confusion, when you're referring to the stock style of suspension, ie non adjustable coilovers, just call them suspension, or 'shock and spring combo' because the term coilover is used almost exclusively to describe adjustable suspension.

So if you are talking about simply replacing the spring on your stock shocks for a lowered one, no this is not illegal.

Ok, Yea, I just want my ride 2" lower or so, and I want legal first then handling second.
So if new springs are legal I might go down that route

4shizz
01-02-2012, 02:12 PM
wow this thread..

get the coilovers, don't lower your car under 100mm. you will be fine unless you meet Sgt.prickface, then you may be required to have them looked at for an engineers cert.
even then.. pos ebay coilovers made in chinese toy factorys get certified easily enough...
your in brisbane mate, unless your blowing smoke, too low, too loud or ging to fast... everythings fine

mattatnoosa
01-02-2012, 02:27 PM
wow this thread..

get the coilovers, don't lower your car under 100mm. you will be fine unless you meet Sgt.prickface, then you may be required to have them looked at for an engineers cert.
even then.. pos ebay coilovers made in chinese toy factorys get certified easily enough...
your in brisbane mate, unless your blowing smoke, too low, too loud or ging to fast... everythings fine

More the point of insurance, dont want to get into a situation where some prick of an assesor decides they're illegal and I don't get cover.

hondapop
01-02-2012, 08:20 PM
More the point of insurance, dont want to get into a situation where some prick of an assesor decides they're illegal and I don't get cover.

If you haven't insured it already, you will be asked if it's been modified (if you have, then you've already been asked, said no, and any mods will be a reason to deny your cover)

mattatnoosa
01-02-2012, 08:22 PM
If you haven't insured it already, you will be asked if it's been modified (if you have, then you've already been asked, said no, and any mods will be a reason to deny your cover)

Which is why you call up and add mods to your policy..

hondapop
01-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Which is why you call up and add mods to your policy..

Eggsaccly. (so long as you know)

marquee
01-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Isn't the tien super streets supplied by fulcrum the only legal ones not the overseas ones?

trism
02-02-2012, 10:19 AM
yessir

mattatnoosa
02-02-2012, 10:24 AM
yessir

I can't see SS for s2000 on their website..

senna
02-02-2012, 12:14 PM
You want this kit COMFORT SPORT - GSH64-K1SS3

CRXDEL501
02-02-2012, 10:23 PM
eh what isnt illegal
if insurance is told you have coilovers, then no big deal.

cops arent going to know..

vtecing
02-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Paint them black

lil_foy
03-02-2012, 06:34 AM
As far as I know, if the modification didnt directly cause the accident the insurer can't void your policy because of it.
Just get some decent coilovers, I can put money on 99.9% of cops never looking at them. This way you can atleast choose your height to exactly how you want it.

eg5civic
03-02-2012, 06:53 AM
^^ this man knows

I've been defected 3 times, never had a cop ask/say anything about my suspension type.

Hell even when I cleared my defect and had the same cop that defected me clear it, he asked who raised it and I said me and he didn't even question what I used. They are more Interested in it being too low more so than, what's making it too low.

mattatnoosa
20-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Hey guys,

QLD transport finally got back to me, so I figured I'd post up their response for anyone that might get defected etc.. THEY ARE LEGAL!

Thank you for your email enquiry to the Department of Transport and Main Roads (the department) regarding vehicle suspension.

The fitting of after market coil over suspension is permitted so long as the original vehicle mounting is utilised and no alteration to the vehicle structure is undertaken.

Suspension Lowering

The department permits you to lower your vehicle's ride height by adjusting the suspension. The rebound travel measured between the rubber rebound stop and the corresponding metal stop (or the extension of the shock absorber for vehicles without a rebound stop) may be reduced by no more than one third (1/3) of the original manufacturer's specification.

This is classified as a "minor modification", and does not require formal written approval, and can be modified by approval granted by the booklet (all about modifications to motor vehicles) this booklet may be found on the internet at:: www.tmr.qld.gov.au, and search for "All about modifications to motor vehicles" refer to page-5, alternatively you may attend any Customer Service Centre and pick up the booklet.

I trust this answers your enquiry. Should you have further enquiries please contact Vehicle Standards & Modification Advice on:- 31145844, Monday to Friday, 8.30 am to 4.30 pm (Wednesday, 9.30 am to 4.30 pm).

CRXDEL501
20-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Hey guys,

QLD transport finally got back to me, so I figured I'd post up their response for anyone that might get defected etc.. THEY ARE LEGAL!

Thank you for your email enquiry to the Department of Transport and Main Roads (the department) regarding vehicle suspension.

The fitting of after market coil over suspension is permitted so long as the original vehicle mounting is utilised and no alteration to the vehicle structure is undertaken.

Suspension Lowering

The department permits you to lower your vehicle's ride height by adjusting the suspension. The rebound travel measured between the rubber rebound stop and the corresponding metal stop (or the extension of the shock absorber for vehicles without a rebound stop) may be reduced by no more than one third (1/3) of the original manufacturer's specification.

This is classified as a "minor modification", and does not require formal written approval, and can be modified by approval granted by the booklet (all about modifications to motor vehicles) this booklet may be found on the internet at:: www.tmr.qld.gov.au, and search for "All about modifications to motor vehicles" refer to page-5, alternatively you may attend any Customer Service Centre and pick up the booklet.

I trust this answers your enquiry. Should you have further enquiries please contact Vehicle Standards & Modification Advice on:- 31145844, Monday to Friday, 8.30 am to 4.30 pm (Wednesday, 9.30 am to 4.30 pm).

Lol that's great...