PDA

View Full Version : B16a2 engine with obd2a ek9 ecu

Hermit
25-01-2012, 05:14 PM
pros and cons?

does ek9 ecu have inbuilt launch control?

90LAN
25-01-2012, 07:00 PM
no

you will be wasting your time and money using this ecu on your b16

XB-16-AX
25-01-2012, 07:42 PM
no

you will be wasting your time and money using this ecu on your b16

im going to have to disagree with you champ.

CTR EK9 PCT ECU has a better tune/maps compaired to the P2T (B16a2 motor/ecu)

Benefits of ek9 ecu;
-better maps, ignition compared to the P2T ecu
-redlines to 8500rpm
-no immobilizer (which means it will work with any b16a2 converted AUDM cars fitted with the oem immobilizer)
-proven torque, power gains across all rev range esp when vtec kicks in yo! (will also depend on bolts ons esp with a FPR)

Negatives
-no built in launch controll
-may require conversion harness depending on which loom you are using.
-abit bigger in size compared to the P2T ecu. (but will fit in the ecu compartment)

Reason why i know this, is because in my previous car i had the B16a2 using the EK9 CTR PCT ecu and i definately seen the improvements. ive even smoked other b16a2 with the P2T ecu in an EG (lighter than EK's) never had any problems at all...(sold my car)

its like using a DC2R ECU into a DC2 VTiR - seen it done b4 without any issues.

this is from my personal experience.

90LAN
25-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Ok i forgot a b16a has the same internals as b16b, same intake manifold, tb, etc
but if you got the extra power and performance why not use it then

XB-16-AX
25-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Ok i forgot a b16a has the same internals as b16b, same intake manifold, tb, etc
but if you got the extra power and performance why not use it then

lol...

internals are different by Compression ratio's, piston sizes, H/L cam lobes, valvetrains etc - but only a small fracture of a difference.

If honda didnt want their ECU's + motor combos to be compatible or interchangeable then they would have designed their ecu's, engine / interior loom plugs, motors to be unique and not compatible at all.

Yes - other manufacturers make conversion harnesses to make a conversion easier to save time/money. But the end of the day honda parts are almost all interchangeable, compatible with each other - B series on its own class and K series on its own classes etc

i dont doubt your own opinion on this topic,

but this is something i have test trialed myself and has worked for many years without any issues until i sold my old beast as i lost my license back then.

and yes - i didnt have the power / performance on that setup which i used and surprisingly gave B20's, B18's JDM B16A a fright.

The internals of my old B16a2 was all stock - A/F ratio was 13-14 and i even had a FPR and advanced my timing +1.5deg.

Back to OP;

was a fun experiment and experience. :):thumbsup:

it works without any issues. just dont be a kunt on the road trying to redline past your limits.

in the future too u can get ITR/CTR camshafts fitted on your B16a2 and then you will be utilizing the full potential of the ek9 CTR ECU. - its basically a cheaper mod /power gains option compared to a full programmable hondata (or similar) ecu.

VT3C
27-01-2012, 01:03 PM
...i definately seen the improvements.

did you seen them ?? HAHA

sorry I'd have to flag this response as misleading and while XB-16-AX may have felt some changes under his right foot, there may not nesc have been any more than the placebo effect.

Just because a B16B has the same displacement as a B16A doesnt nesc mean the EK9 ECU will make any power gains - it may allow a higher rev-cut but that is pointless revving to 8500+ on stock B16A cams. The difference in fuel maps and ignition maps etc again are basically useles son a B16A as they are designed for the higher compression, higher flowwing head, manifolds and higher redline etc.

Show me a dyno comparo of this set-up using both ECU's before we can make this call.

Personally I wouldnt run this ECU.. just because it CAN be done doesnt mean it's a good thing.
dont get me wrong, I'm all for a bit of experiementation - we ran a JDM EK4 B16A on an EJ8 and it worked. .and it seemed to make good power.. but this Y8 had a Crower cam etc.. and ended up throwing a rod through the block LOL...

I appreciate you posted this from your own experience though - nto just what you've read.

XB-16-AX
02-02-2012, 08:38 AM
did you seen them ?? HAHA

sorry I'd have to flag this response as misleading and while XB-16-AX may have felt some changes under his right foot, there may not nesc have been any more than the placebo effect.

Just because a B16B has the same displacement as a B16A doesnt nesc mean the EK9 ECU will make any power gains - it may allow a higher rev-cut but that is pointless revving to 8500+ on stock B16A cams. The difference in fuel maps and ignition maps etc again are basically useles son a B16A as they are designed for the higher compression, higher flowwing head, manifolds and higher redline etc.

Show me a dyno comparo of this set-up using both ECU's before we can make this call.

Personally I wouldnt run this ECU.. just because it CAN be done doesnt mean it's a good thing.
dont get me wrong, I'm all for a bit of experiementation - we ran a JDM EK4 B16A on an EJ8 and it worked. .and it seemed to make good power.. but this Y8 had a Crower cam etc.. and ended up throwing a rod through the block LOL...

I appreciate you posted this from your own experience though - nto just what you've read.

LOL. this aint misleading ..its a personal experience..

I've got final dyno figures showing the use of the EK9 ECU with I/H/E made 98kw with my stock motor over 200thou clicks, minor service was due with a 34deg humidity.

though in the first few runs she pulled 105.7kw but later showed a constant 98kw - stable.

if someone can upload a b16a2 P2T dyno figures with similar setup then well see if it does show proven numbers.

its not so much of a difference but yet again - will depend on the condition of the motor, outside temp, driver etc etc

VT3C
02-02-2012, 11:24 AM
so you dont have a dyno chart with both ecu's on YOUR motor ? then forget it moving along.. nothing to see here.. dont take it personally but that doesnt mean anything.

XB-16-AX
02-02-2012, 02:58 PM
so you dont have a dyno chart with both ecu's on YOUR motor ? then forget it moving along.. nothing to see here.. dont take it personally but that doesnt mean anything.

Enjoy buddy,

this is the final dyno outcome with was a stable power figures. A/F ratio was only 1-2 richer than normal reading.

Other than that she went well.

Sorry i dont have a P2T dyno chart ..but if you do or someone has, feel free to upload as i would be interested to see the difference on a piece of paper.

but from a on-road experience of the two, i definitely felt my nuts jiggle :p

VT3C
03-02-2012, 10:13 AM
so you dont have a dyno chart with both ecu's

another car, another dyno, another day.. makes it irrelevant. that's all..

XB-16-AX
03-02-2012, 10:41 AM
another car, another dyno, another day.. makes it irrelevant. that's all..

wats so irrelevant about my post?

i provided 1 dyno chart using the EK9 PCT ecu and i dont have a chart for the P2T (EM1 ecu) as this was sold prior to using the EK9 ecu.

as i said ... if any1 using the EM1 ecu with similar mods and HAS a dyno chart .. upload it ...just to see the differences on a piece of paper.

Overall, dyno is dyno ...whats important is the time u achieve going down the 1/4 which will then see the full potential of both ECU's, Drivers, Bolt-on mods differences.

end of story - another day

since the OP owner is no longer replying i guess the MODs can now close this.
:P

VT3C
03-02-2012, 10:05 PM
that's all..

dc292177917
06-02-2012, 03:49 PM

i provided 1 dyno chart using the EK9 PCT ecu and i dont have a chart for the P2T (EM1 ecu) as this was sold prior to using the EK9 ecu.

as i said ... if any1 using the EM1 ecu with similar mods and HAS a dyno chart .. upload it ...just to see the differences on a piece of paper.

Overall, dyno is dyno ...whats important is the time u achieve going down the 1/4 which will then see the full potential of both ECU's, Drivers, Bolt-on mods differences.

it can only be compared when the ECU is the ONLY different
same fuel, same engine, same dyno, same tyres etc...
anyway, B16B is very different to B16A

dc292177917
06-02-2012, 03:57 PM

it can only be compared when the ECU is the ONLY different
same fuel, same engine, same dyno, same tyres etc...
anyway, B16B is very different to B16A