PDA

View Full Version : I need a new alarm. What do you guys recommend?

yeahSCOTTT
26-01-2012, 01:17 AM
Other than having a guard dog in my back seat or something else the spam crew will welcome me abourd with. What do you guys recommend for an aftermarket alarm in my em1?

Obviously there's the vipers but I've also seen a fancy looking one called an st-960 with a proximity remote and some other useless gimmics that would be fun to have

Also can anyone recommend a good installer based in Melbourne? I'm willing to travel if he's the cats pajamas of alarm installs

rubixcube
26-01-2012, 03:53 AM
I have one of these
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_20216_Viper-Responder-350-P-N-3305V.html
which I bought from that website (they deliver internationally)
It was fairly easy to install myself (though I am electronically inclined). The hardest part was removing my existing alarm because it was heatshrinked and taped into my dash loom. I also had an issue with the power door locks, because my cxi didn't come with power unlock from the factory, the alarm couldn't provide enough juice to run the motors (all it is designed to do is send a pulse down the existing lock/unlock wires, which isn't powerful enough to make the motors work if they aren't from the factory). This was remedied by a diagram on the12volt.com, just had to go to jaycar and get 2 relays and wire them in a certain way between the alarm and door motors.
Go to the12volt.com and find the wiring schematics for your car, it tells you exactly which colour wire does what, and then you just match what the handbook tells you to do with the alarm harness, and bob's your uncle. From memory you only need wire strippers, screwdrivers and a multimeter. I guess I should add you should probably only do this if you are confident in what you are doing. Don't take my advice if you feel you don't want to mess with your car.

Professional installation can be quite expensive (at least in my experience). I emailed a couple of places in Brisbane when I was looking to get an alarm, and they wanted ~$600 (including parts) for even the most basic Viper alarm install. There really isn't much you can mess up unless you start cutting wires willy nilly.
Good luck!

dougie_504
26-01-2012, 08:46 AM
I know a guy who I think is great at installations. Does a lot of the multi-point detection alarms with remote start and GPS tracking, holiday mode etc. He does it professionally as a subcontractor for brand new cars, but also privately for cash on the side.

Lives eastern suburbs of Melbourne if you wanna know more. Prices aren't cheap but I assure you he won't do a cheap job like a few of those shops you'll see.

JPR28610
26-01-2012, 09:55 AM
go mongoose m80

never had a problem with it

white_ep3_civic
26-01-2012, 04:13 PM
I would say mongoose m80 as well. Always had them in my cars. Best alarm for the price.

Boznian
26-01-2012, 09:34 PM
mongoose m80 $480 installed at some place near my house, good alarm

yeahSCOTTT
27-01-2012, 06:01 PM
this mongoose m80 sounds like its the go. shame the remotes so ugly :( i guess function over form, unless were talking about wheel fitment hehe

charliebrown
27-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Call complete options on westall road. I'm planning to get an alarm done there. Prices isn't cheap but i've heard nothing but good reviews about him.

yeahSCOTTT
27-01-2012, 06:19 PM
what systems do they install? or is it byo alarm system for the install

charliebrown
27-01-2012, 06:28 PM
They supply and fit mongoose alarms.

I think the basic keyless entry + alarm + immobiliser is 320 installed

Boznian
27-01-2012, 08:23 PM
If it doesnt come with central locking also they charge extra for those motors?

djt
28-01-2012, 06:35 AM
If your from Sydney, http://carboncarsystems.com.au/ << Daniel is the shit, wouldn't go anywhere else, called like 3 places before a friend recommended me, his prices are cheap as!! Well that was 2 years ago when he was mobile, dunno about now. Got my M80 from him

ma081010
02-02-2012, 04:14 PM
try steelmate