PDA

View Full Version : American Headlight/Tailight compatibility with AUDM models?

TranceZiggy
27-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Hey guys,

I'm looking at replacing the stock headlights on my '97 CXi EK and wanted to know if the various lights you can get from ebay etc. are compatible with Aussie models? The sites give fair warning to international customer to research whether or not the American lights will fit our models.

These are the lights I'm looking at:

Black Halo Projector Headlights (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sonar-96-98-Honda-Civic-Halo-Black-Projector-Headlights-/260817334123?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb9ecaf6b)

Black Altezza Tail Lights (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/96-00-HONDA-CIVIC-3DR-ALTEZZA-TAIL-LIGHTS-BLACK-97-98-/390383820980?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae4b060b4)

I'm sick of seeing chrome everywhere, hence the traditional black/grey.

So, does anyone know off hand, or from experience, whether they'd be compatible with my Australian model?

Cheers ;)

Niko
27-01-2012, 07:20 PM
^ why dont you just remove the lens off the headlights,mask the bits you don't want painted, and paint the parts you want black?

Aleksa
27-01-2012, 07:41 PM
I bought tail lights from the U.S through ebay for an eg and they fit just fine, don't know bout the ek's though. But i heard headlights are a different story, something to do with the left side being the drivers side or something....

TranceZiggy
31-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Yeah, turns out the head/tail lights should fit, it's just that the American lights will be angled slightly to the right (towards the curb in the US) which make them shine at incoming traffic over here in Aus, potentially blinding them, which would make them illegal. If I can work out how to angle them back towards the left, they should be alright. :)

usaco
31-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Perhaps confirm with the seller whether the headlights have the adjustment knobs. Most, if not all Aus car headlights can be adjusted left-right & up-down.

98vtir
31-01-2012, 12:43 PM
I used to have the LHD style headlights, they bolted straight in, as did my 'American' tail lights. I never got questioned or anything and I used normal bulbs so never got highbeamed by oncoming traffic which would tell me it was in their eyes; I imagine with some HIDs you would.

Anyways this is what you'd need to do to make it legit.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?86329-DIY-Flipping-Projector-Cutoff-LHD-RHD

I got the RHD lights now (with the CCFL halos, looks very nice), it just sucks that they cost nearly double what the LHD ones cost n that's with shipping as well.

Aleksa
02-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Those tail lights I was talking about are crap. The day after I posted the message the tail lights filled up with water due to the rain. Looks like an equarium. So if buying from the U.S make sure the lights r of decent quality. I only had mine on for 6 months n now they are flooded...

TranceZiggy
15-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Cheers for the heads up Aleksa, will check the brand reputation before purchasing, or i'll get one of the 'cheaper' brands & use some water resistant sealant around the casing to prevent flooding.

Also enquired about the headlights being adjustable. The slightly more 'expensive' lights are fully adjustable by simple screws, whereas the cheaper ones are not. The difference was only about $30-40, but that little bit extra helps ensure no encounters with a disgruntled copper looking to meet his quota & decides my lights are angled too far to the right.

dougie_504
16-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Where are they leaking? Make a new gasket?

Couldn't they leak due to damage of the gasket during the swap over?