PDA

View Full Version : What will I notice with a CAI?

IDV8
29-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Thinking about doing some work on my car, would I notice any changes if I added a Injen Cold Air Intake system? Thanks :D

EKVTIR-T
29-01-2012, 10:53 PM
They're like a breath of fresh air that'll get your engine pumping and roaring.

You'll discover unlocked horsepower, torque and even fuel economy while getting that sportcar sound..

IDV8
29-01-2012, 11:05 PM
They're like a breath of fresh air that'll get your engine pumping and roaring.

You'll discover unlocked horsepower, torque and even fuel economy while getting that sportcar sound..

So definitely worth investing in? How does it make fuel more economic? Thanks for the reply!

EKVTIR-T
29-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Youre getting colder/denser air making a better combustion so the engine doesnt work as hard pulling the same load

charliebrown
29-01-2012, 11:37 PM
Worse fuel economy*

you're gonna vtec 10x as much for da induction roar

SuperJDM.
29-01-2012, 11:41 PM
WITH a Cai, you will notice that the car will have a deeper tone while accelerating. This is because the CAI is sucking in much more air.

You will also notice that the car is more responsive.

Vvvtec
29-01-2012, 11:48 PM
do it.

IDV8
30-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the replies! This will be the first mod I've done to my DC5 :D Will the Injen Cold Air Intake system be my best option? I checked it out on a few Acura RSX sites (same as the Integra DC5) and it seems to have a great reputation.

Vvvtec
30-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the replies! This will be the first mod I've done to my DC5 :D Will the Injen Cold Air Intake system be my best option? I checked it out on a few Acura RSX sites (same as the Integra DC5) and it seems to have a great reputation.

yeah, injen is quality

there's one for sale in the for sale section right now

IDV8
30-01-2012, 12:35 AM
I'll just have to check it out ;) Thanks again guys!

act_gooner
30-01-2012, 12:54 AM
WITH a Cai, you will notice that the car will have a deeper tone while accelerating. This is because the CAI is sucking in much more air.

You will also notice that the car is more responsive.

This was exactly what I noticed. Supposedly they boost fuel economy, but I haven't noticed much of a change if any at all. Especially since you are always tempted to let it rev high to hear that naice induction sound yo

infurNOS
30-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Thinking about doing some work on my car, would I notice any changes if I added a Injen Cold Air Intake system? Thanks :D

increased risk of hydrolocking your motor over normal intake. Get a comptech icebox and save yourself some $$. $500 for an intake is a joke. Put it towards a mod you will actually get noticeable performance increase....ie: H/E

info:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?123313-Comptech-Icebox

trism
30-01-2012, 12:42 PM
**** i hate ****s that sprout this hydro locking bullshit.

In all of my cars i have had a pipe that ran directly from the throttle body/intake plenum mouth all the way down to the bottom of the engine bay, pointing straight down or forwards, and literally right at the level of the splash guards under the motor.

Ive driven through puddles that would have come up nearly to the bottom of the doors, and i never once had this problem.

In order to hydro-lock and engine, it needs to ingest nothing but water, for a good 10 seconds or so, and the only way this is going to happen is if you are parked in deep water free revving the engine.

It takes some simple common sense that if you think you're gonna be at risk of sucking up water, you get off the pedal, and just coast through the deeper water.

As for ingesting any water at all, please go and research water injection, and tell me that 100 years of experience doesn't mean as much as the knowledge of honda fan boys.

infurNOS
30-01-2012, 12:46 PM

In all of my cars i have had a pipe that ran directly from the throttle body/intake plenum mouth all the way down to the bottom of the engine bay, pointing straight down or forwards, and literally right at the level of the splash guards under the motor.

Ive driven through puddles that would have come up nearly to the bottom of the doors, and i never once had this problem.

In order to hydro-lock and engine, it needs to ingest nothing but water, for a good 10 seconds or so, and the only way this is going to happen is if you are parked in deep water free revving the engine.

It takes some simple common sense that if you think you're gonna be at risk of sucking up water, you get off the pedal, and just coast through the deeper water.

As for ingesting any water at all, please go and research water injection, and tell me that 100 years of experience doesn't mean as much as the knowledge of honda fan boys.

dude, relax!

All i said is that it is an increased risk.......

wow

IV73CI
30-01-2012, 12:50 PM

****in love your responses man +1 .. lol

but its tru ... no need to be a rocket scientist to figure that deep water puddles is like taking your car for a swim .. you hold your breath whilst swimming...so for a car dont step on the pedal ...just swim it through :)

im fitting my own CAI when i get home from work...difference is that my filter will sit inside the cavity of the splash guards just below the hole for the "so called OEM return resonator" in my EM...

mocchi
30-01-2012, 12:50 PM
with cai, first you need to undestand that engine work via the combustion of air and fuel.
so if you put cai in your car, there will be cold air intake system.

IDV8
30-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Don't plan on using the DC5 as a boat anytime soon :)

dougie_504
30-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Awesome first mod IMO. Cheap and easy + satisfying.

Hard to hydrolock as trism said. Also consider how much heavier water is than air. Air will obviously be sucked in many times easier than any liquid.

If you're worried about that huge puddle in front of you then go around it or get out, pop the hood, and disconnect your CAI at the TB while you drive through.

IDV8
30-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Not sure what you mean about the puddle bit?

u mad?
30-01-2012, 05:06 PM
with cai, first you need to undestand that engine work via the combustion of air and fuel.
so if you put cai in your car, there will be cold air intake system.

this is very true, take note op- this guy knows what he's on about.

what dc5 do you have op? if its a base model go with the cheapest nastiest intake you can find

pod on a stick style

IDV8
30-01-2012, 05:34 PM
How come? Its the 03 Base DC5

rhys.l
30-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Don't agree with alot of what's been said here. My Injen made my fuel economy worse, and the car less responsive at lower revs. Still a worthy mod for top-end power and sexy sounds

JohnO
30-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Bigger penis ask vvvtec

rapatalk

u mad?
30-01-2012, 05:48 PM
How come? Its the 03 Base DC5

k20a3=not worth trying to extract power out of

but im just assuming you want that hectic intake sound= cheap pod on a stick. no need to waste 400 bucks on an ingen for 1kw increase.

even better, leave it stock.

EKVTIR-T
30-01-2012, 05:52 PM
can resell it later for minimal loss coz brand name and fanboy demand

http://i.picasion.com/pic49/c6d5790ba0badb9357ab38b79235ea4f.gif

TODA AU
30-01-2012, 05:55 PM
but its tru ... no need to be a rocket scientist to figure that deep water puddles is like taking your car for a swim .. you hold your breath whilst swimming...so for a car dont step on the pedal ...just swim it through

Actually at idle you're more likely to hydrolock than if you drop it back to 1st & floor it through a deep puddle.
The engine can injest shitloads of water at high rpm the reverse is true of low rpm & where most hydrolocks occur.

Buy the Injen, dyno proven power. arguably the best bang for buck intake for DC5 on the market.
They sound good too.

(NB: I prefer the GruppeM but its kinda expensive)

mocchi
30-01-2012, 09:46 PM
pm JohnO for asian king spring deals.
he has many connections

JohnO
30-01-2012, 10:18 PM
i'll throw in some shocks for ya, gets your passengers moist

mocchi
30-01-2012, 10:19 PM
pm JohnO for asian king spring deals.
he has many connections

whoops, i thought this was the kings springs thread. the other one he made

JohnO
30-01-2012, 10:21 PM
come on bro get it right the first time

IDV8
30-01-2012, 10:38 PM
lmao :p

TGW92
31-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Worse fuel economy*

you're gonna vtec 10x as much for da induction roar

Hahahahaha THIS!!! My fuel economy went out the window LOL but the noise OMFG

VTEC with a cai is a whole other level compared to vtec without..... You won't regret it :D

ellie123
01-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Aem v2 cant go wrong!

MIKO_OL
01-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Hahahahaha THIS!!! My fuel economy went out the window LOL but the noise OMFG

VTEC with a cai is a whole other level compared to vtec without..... You won't regret it :D

This. VTEC EPIC CROSSOVER ! BWAAARRPPP

Aem v2 cant go wrong!

Seen alot of people with AEM's intakes. What's the difference?

1900-hustler
02-02-2012, 10:59 AM
slight loss in acceleration down low
louder induction sound upon hard acceleration
possible whistling sound
louder/aggressive crossover sound

newpaddy3
09-04-2012, 11:41 PM
You might get a nice little whistle from the air being sucked in, otherwise you'll notice shit all.

ShadowX
19-04-2012, 03:02 PM
do it once, do it right. GruppeM

4age8u
21-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Oem airbox ftw

SU-WOOP
22-04-2012, 04:49 AM
cai is not just cai if u dont understand short ram long ram velocity or the venturi effect buy a pre tuned intake that was specificaly made for your aplication
or stay oem before you go backwards

cihanvtec
22-04-2012, 11:06 AM
u wont notice anything except a deeper sound. your better off with the stock airbox. honda spend thousands on research and tests to build the car a certain way, they do it like that for a reason..

skeptic_
22-04-2012, 01:45 PM
u wont notice anything except a deeper sound. your better off with the stock airbox. honda spend thousands on research and tests to build the car a certain way, they do it like that for a reason..
But injen is dyno proven results? Soo..

newpaddy3
22-04-2012, 01:50 PM
But injen is dyno proven results? Soo..

With supporting modifications...

You could be sold anything with your attitude.

Honestly this thread has received too many comments.

Everyone, please, stop commenting.

Vvvtec
24-04-2012, 01:56 AM
With supporting modifications...

You could be sold anything with your attitude.

Honestly this thread has received too many comments.

Everyone, please, stop commenting.

Injen CAI will give gains over stock airbox, without 'supporting' mods.

void-
24-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Injen CAI will give gains over stock airbox, without 'supporting' mods.

mind = exfoliated !!!!

butterfingers
24-04-2012, 12:51 PM

yes.

but you left out a critical point

honda could have spent more to make it even better, are you saying the dc5 has no room for improvement? after pumping out the nsx, you think 147kW is the best they can do?

like any business, honda know supply and demand. overall market for integras do not have a high demand for anything that powerful so why spend extra money making it better than it needs to be? maximize profit right.

however for those who want a teg but want more power, theres aftermarket support.

its just how the market works

Indie
24-04-2012, 03:47 PM
yes.

but you left out a critical point

honda could have spent more to make it even better, are you saying the dc5 has no room for improvement? after pumping out the nsx, you think 147kW is the best they can do?

like any business, honda know supply and demand. overall market for integras do not have a high demand for anything that powerful so why spend extra money making it better than it needs to be? maximize profit right.

however for those who want a teg but want more power, theres aftermarket support.

its just how the market worksWell, to be fair, there isn't that much room for improvement on the DC2/5. The average gains you see on a DC aren't all that impressive, at least in terms of power. And as far as suspension goes, the DC2 is already very good.

The DC2R is a good car to leave stock, in my eyes, as there isn't much extra performance to be gained from extensive modifications.

Bludger
10-05-2012, 06:32 PM

I agry

senna
10-05-2012, 06:46 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to trism again.

connorling
11-05-2012, 07:18 PM
How many times do people have to ask question about cold air intake? I thought we have a sticky post about cai vs short air intake ......!!!!!!!

bennjamin
11-05-2012, 08:22 PM

Fcuk I hate kents that are just plain ANGRY. Calm the **** down mate. Because you havent had the personal experience doesnt mean it holds true to all opinion.

There is truth to hydro-lock - it happens. Rare. But it happens.
A b16b Conversion i did in a orange 3rd gen crx - had an injen. He Drove thru puddle at average speed , hydrolocked and destroyed the engine.
The engine was rebuilt sold the car then the next owner did the very same thing.... rofl.

BTW if you put an intake on any car and dont change anything else - AND cover your ears - the car will perform exactly the same.

bennjamin
11-05-2012, 08:23 PM
How many times do people have to ask question about cold air intake? I thought we have a sticky post about cai vs short air intake ......!!!!!!!

This is the noob section - its made infinite repeat of the same questions. Over and over again. This is the internets

marquee
11-05-2012, 09:28 PM
I agree with both ben and trism.

It can happen but if you drive carefully it won't happening. I had one for 2 years in my euro drove through terential rain and everything no problems at all.

Just how the throttle body works. if the accelerator is used the butterfly valve opens and starts sucking. if you dont accelerate there is no suction. However if you go through a puddle then go oh shit thats over and done with then floor it you will be sucking the exess water still on the and if it is a paper filter your screwed and if your oil filter is not saturated in oil it will not repel as it should.

All you need to do is be careful. as ben said cover you ears and drive you will notice nearly nothing. But shit it sounds awesome.