PDA

View Full Version : Springs vs Coilovers

IDV8
30-01-2012, 01:33 AM
I'm running a stock DC5 and want to drop it a couple of CM, probably an inch exactly. I figured I could just buy some Kings Springs and have them installed, would save a hell of a lot of $$ (this will go towards an exhaust or CAI setup). I use my car as a daily and absolutely no track use.

So what would be the difference besides price - and how exact can I be about vehicle height? Thanks!

BC Coilovers: $1150
King Springs: ~$300

charliebrown
30-01-2012, 02:11 AM
Go springs... i can't stand coilovers. Springs was uncomfortably bouncy, but coilovers frickin hurt. 2nd hand king springs $100 win

IDV8
30-01-2012, 02:27 AM
Thanks for the reply! Good to know, would much rather go the cheaper route so I have more $$ for engine mods. Can you be pretty specific about how low you want your car? As in if I take them in to be installed and specify the height I want can they arrange them to that height? Main goal is to be just above the wheel by an inch or so, haven't properly measured yet.

jdm18c
30-01-2012, 02:35 AM
Just depends on the springs you get man..
If its just for street and on budget I'd get springs coils is abit of a wank illness you wanna track it or adjust the settings every now and again

IDV8
30-01-2012, 02:53 AM
Kings Springs are the best you can get for daily use isn't it? Just going by some research I've done, seem to be a very popular option.

mocchi
30-01-2012, 06:42 AM
Kings Springs are the best you can get for daily use isn't it? Just going by some research I've done, seem to be a very popular option.

Makita Lows are the most popular ones and they can be used on all cars.

natsrs

2nd hand kings probably good for you.

DakDak
30-01-2012, 07:42 AM
IDV8 also be wary that if you pair aftermarket springs on stock shocks you kill them. How fast depends on how much the drop. Other than that I think shock+springs are good for your application. I've been through about 3 sets of coilovers on my dc5. TBH I regret all of them wish I just got a shock and spring combo. No need for coilovers unless you track ALOT. like every month or something. And in regards to the adjustability dont get sucked in. Once you get the desired height your going to keep it that way, not constantly change it.
PROS
Get that drop desired
No compromise on dd comfort
Cheap
Cheap to overhaul e.g revalve a shock

Cons
Wont be adequate if its a dedicated track car

Reverse it for coilovers ...

mocchi
30-01-2012, 07:52 AM
IDV8 also be wary that if you pair aftermarket springs on stock shocks you kill them. How fast depends on how much the drop. Other than that I think shock+springs are good for your application. I've been through about 3 sets of coilovers on my dc5. TBH I regret all of them wish I just got a shock and spring combo. No need for coilovers unless you track ALOT. like every month or something. And in regards to the adjustability dont get sucked in. Once you get the desired height your going to keep it that way, not constantly change it.
PROS
Get that drop desired
No compromise on dd comfort
Cheap
Cheap to overhaul e.g revalve a shock

Cons
Wont be adequate if its a dedicated track car

Reverse it for coilovers ...

burgers are burgers but cant compare maccas cheeseburger with grilld mighty melbourne.
just because its 'coilovers' doesnt mean its not good for DD
plus coilover is just what you call shocks inside springs.
stock shocks and springs are also 'coilovers'.

nigs got good review.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?157999-Ohlins-DFV-Suspension.

i think cons for aftermarket coilovers would primarily be cost.

u mad?
30-01-2012, 07:58 AM
you guys should have bought lancers.

coilovers all the way

brb adjust to any height you want
brb adjust from soft to hard damper, choose the right coilovers and you can have the ride only slightly firmer then stock on softest settings
brb you can just part them out when you sell the car
brb would rather have coilovers with no engine mods over ghetto ass king spring and 1kw gaining intake

if you drive your car even slighty enthusiasticly around twisties, go with coilovers.

imo anyway.

IV73CI
30-01-2012, 08:04 AM
LOL..

if your going to get King Springs.... they are not the best hard spring compound.

I suggest to get KMAC springs, then match this with a GAB/KYB shocks (next level up from OEM spec).

still cheaper than coilovers for sure.

senna
30-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Don't go Kmac springs, they are crappola i assure you - crap core material and very old basic design that usually leads to either coil binding or untrapped coils at extended length

My honest opinion about coilovers is that they are too hard for a daily driver with a strong chassis - DC5 will be quite firm on crappy Australian roads. Plus, unless you put very good tyres on your car you are wasting the potential handling improvements a coilover kit can give you.

Your budget and your driving priorities are the main deciding factors here.

If you still can't deicide, find someone with the same car and a set of coilovers (a kit that fits in your budget range) and go for a drive on roads that you drive daily, that will tell you whether or not you will like coilovers.

Kings are a good option for someone that simply wants to lower their car for looks and a small increase in handling stability.

If you decide later on that you want better handling again, sacrifice your ride comfort and go with a decent set of coilovers, or invest in a set of Koni's that will give you excellent handling and still retain quite a bit of ride comfort

IDV8
30-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Kings are a good option for someone that simply wants to lower their car for looks and a small increase in handling stability.

Exactly what I'm after, don't ever plan to take this out on the track at all to be honest.

IV73CI
30-01-2012, 01:44 PM
LOL ..

i must be old skool then ..

been using KMACs on all my old NA cars and never had any problems ... heheh

oh wells ...peoples opinions are all different i guess :)

aaronng
30-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Ppl find springs are bouncy because they use them with the stock shocks. When you use lowered springs, it brings the shock travel much lower and out of the normal operation range. Hence there is very little damping and you get a bouncy feeling which is not good. You also end up damaging the seals, so you will find oil on your suspension in a few months and ZERO damping.

To use lowered springs properly, you need to get shocks which operate in the correct height range. Then you will have a car that feels as good as stock.

Coilovers tend to have much higher spring rates (since most of them claim to be for racing). The dampers are also tuned to match the higher spring rates, so you find them stiff and overdamped. Hence they are uncomfortable when you go over irregularities on the road.

Best choice would be lowered springs + shocks but they will cost the same or more than those cheap coilovers like BC (Bor Chap I assume).

marquee
30-01-2012, 01:52 PM
I got bc racing for my euro and there were fine for dd.

Reason i didn't get shocks was the massive price they are in Australia and didn't want to get overseas due to wanting a warranty.

Its personal preference but you can't just get springs you need shocks that can handle the drop. For example ky go 30mm higher or lower then stock.

charliebrown
30-01-2012, 02:09 PM
He only wants to drop an inch on a budget, i say springs on stock shocks will do. Cheap and shocks won't die straight away. I had a 2 inch drop on stock shocks, they held up for nearly a year before i sold car. Still good condition and this was an old car not an 03 DC5

trism
30-01-2012, 02:59 PM
who cares about handling. chopped stockies on stock dampers ftw. srs

notsrs

An inch isnt very much in the grand scheme of things. i dunno if any companies make them for the DC5, but if i was just gonna drop an inch, and didnt wanna sacrifice ride comfort and didnt want to buy coilovers, id just buy ground control extended top hats.

IDV8
30-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Found some King Springs (LOWS = 30MM LOWER) looking at about $270 .. sure as hell beats $1200-$1500 for lowering my daily ride, no?

dougie_504
30-01-2012, 04:44 PM
$270 installed?

But as was said earlier, that's $270 + faster shock wear.

But it's up to you. You could shop around and see if you can find some relatively soft coilovers, whereas some companies like Fulcrum can take your standard shocks and convert them to height-adjustable coilovers for you (probably expensive though, but worth checking).

I have coilovers on my DD and my weekend car (Bilstein for EG6). Yeah it's bumpy as hell, and at first it might make you feel a little sick if you just ate, you hate driving longer distances, you have to avoid as many potholes as possible (which you should do anyway), drive slowly over speed bumps (which you should do anyway) and every single back seat passenger f'ing hates you, but after a while you get used to it and you love it more every time you take a corner with just a little more spirit than you would have with your pussy soft springs :D

Stiff coilovers + low is f'ing sick IMO. It's a lifestyle braaa :D

mocchi
30-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Found some King Springs (LOWS = 30MM LOWER) looking at about $270 .. sure as hell beats $1200-$1500 for lowering my daily ride, no?

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/customavatars/avatar34929_1.gif

do it

IDV8
30-01-2012, 05:06 PM
I can't go too low :( $270 not installed, would have to find somewhere to do it unfortunately.

charliebrown
30-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Don't pay 270... look for 2nd hand. No higher than 150

marquee
30-01-2012, 05:30 PM
You spent a min of 15k on your car why cheap out now. Get springs if you want but atleast buy some kyb shocks

IDV8
30-01-2012, 05:35 PM
14.7 :cool:

Super-DA9
30-01-2012, 05:39 PM
I had kings on my car when I bought it nearly 2 years ago. I came to hate them so much I bought coilovers within 2 weeks of ownership.

If you like the way a boat feels when turning then kings and stock shocks are for you!

:P

I agree with shock and spring combo, whiteline springs are also very nice. :)

getm_up
30-01-2012, 05:46 PM

coilovers all the way

brb adjust from soft to hard damper, choose the right coilovers and you can have the ride only slightly firmer then stock on softest settings
brb would rather have coilovers with no engine mods over ghetto ass king spring and 1kw gaining intake

if you drive your car even slighty enthusiasticly around twisties, go with coilovers.

imo anyway.

Fully adjustable coilovers you cant go wrong.
Springs are got cheap ass's

getm_up
30-01-2012, 05:54 PM
oh and if they are "too ruff or stiff"
obviously havent didnt know how to adjust the stiffness properly on the coilovers

Evok
30-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Personally, get coils with lower spring rates.
Going in a straight line is boring.

blabla
30-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Gab coilovers ppl best for daily.

IDV8
30-01-2012, 07:16 PM
But $1200 :( So all in all, whats the difference between springs vs coilovers? There are a heap of drivers that just replace the springs to lower their car so thats what makes me think it can't be TOO bad?

u mad?
30-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Gab coilovers ppl best for daily.
yeah, i've driven a dc2 with GAB's on there softest settings. very comfortable, not harsh at all.

But $1200 :( So all in all, whats the difference between springs vs coilovers? There are a heap of drivers that just replace the springs to lower their car so thats what makes me think it can't be TOO bad?

have read the replies to this thread????

if you care about performance in the slightest, get coilovers! you can always sell them later on when you want to sell the car, you'll recoup a decent bit of it back.

Do it once, do it right!

Super-DA9
30-01-2012, 07:46 PM
There are a heap of drivers that just replace the springs to lower their car so thats what makes me think it can't be TOO bad?

maybe they do it because it's cheaper right then and there, or they dont like corners, or their friends told them to? haha

or they are only lowering less then an inch?

as stated before, lowering springs are ok if you get a good set and at least eventually get shocks to match.

integraR
30-01-2012, 09:10 PM
i'd go for coilovers if you concerned about the performance and thinking about dropping to different heights
i'd go springs if your on a budget and not to concerned about performance

if your going to invest into some coilovers

you should also consider investing into inverted tie rods if you want to decent handling when you go loww
cos dc5's have poor handling when you lower it

personally i'd go for coilovers b/c there's adjuctable settings such as height and stiffness

dougie_504
30-01-2012, 09:30 PM
maybe they do it because it's cheaper right then and there, or they dont like corners, or their friends told them to? haha

or they are only lowering less then an inch?

as stated before, lowering springs are ok if you get a good set and at least eventually get shocks to match.

Yeah my brother went with King Springs on his DC. They didn't last long. Ended up getting Cusco Comp S coilovers lol

Super-DA9
30-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Ended up getting Cusco Comp S coilovers lol

ooft.

:thumbsup:

dougie_504
30-01-2012, 09:41 PM
ooft.

:thumbsup:

Yeah. Used but mint for $700, jdm style. All my coils are used and holding up well for now. Comp S is 8kg/6kg I believe so comfortable enough for DD IMO.

Super-DA9
30-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Nice! pretty sure thats the same kg ratings as N+ yeah? I have N+ and they have a good range of adjustability for daily use and mountain runs :)

cihanvtec
30-01-2012, 10:37 PM
i had a 2.5 inch drop on stock shocks. car got written off, but the shocks held up perfectly fine. had them on there for over 2 years

lilthug
30-01-2012, 10:46 PM
u want looks go cheap with springs

if u want it for performance go coilovers

simple

IDV8
30-01-2012, 10:48 PM
So if I just put in some King Springs its going to be an annoying ride? Any recommendations for coilovers that'll give me control on how much I lower it? As mentioned previously want it just above the tyres.

EDIT: and technically performance isn't #1 on my list, can't get passed 70km/hr to and from work plus I don't use it on a track.

lilthug
30-01-2012, 10:53 PM
any adjustable coilovers in ur budget will be good

charliebrown
30-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Coilovers is a bitch man. Keep having to adjust it a few mm, wheels on, car down, measure, car up, wheels off, adjust, repeat. Imagine doing that 50 times a day. Drives you mental, especially if your ground isn't even

IDV8
30-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Why do you need to adjust it ..? My only issue is clearing speed bumps, have to cross about 3 or 4 each time I go out or come home :(

charliebrown
30-01-2012, 11:13 PM
to get all 4 sides the exact height you want it. you need to set a height, test drive it over all kinds of roads, bumps etc. if it scrubs, raise it. if it doesn't, go lower. its an endless process -_-

IDV8
30-01-2012, 11:53 PM
I never knew lowering my car an inch would be so complicated.. lmao

u mad?
30-01-2012, 11:56 PM
I never knew lowering my car an inch would be so complicated.. lmao

dont listen to cb.

charliebrown
31-01-2012, 12:02 AM
Why an inch man, not even noticable. But you do know the DC5 has some ****ed up suspension shit and you need inverted tie rods if you wanna drop a decent amount without shortening the lifespan of your steering rack. Also i think you can't align your car properly or something as well.

IDV8
31-01-2012, 12:24 AM
An inch would be noticeable on mine .. any lower and I'll be scraping speed humps atleast 10 times a day which I'm not going to let happen ....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BC-Racing-Coilovers-suit-HONDA-INTEGRA-DC5-00-04-/150743021968?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2318fbf990
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BC-Racing-Coilovers-suit-HONDA-INTEGRA-DC5-00-04-/180804952116?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a18d0a034

Have seen other DC5 owners with these, any thoughts? Don't really want to spend more $$, its hard enough comparing them to $300 springs.

GSi_PSi
31-01-2012, 12:37 AM
dude straight out coilovers just feel so much better lol.
jumping in my old dc2 with kings ultra lows felt like shit after riding on coilovers, the car just feels so unresponsive lol even in a straightline
just feels like a boat, hard to explain, coilovers will make the car feel so much more responsive

u mad?
31-01-2012, 12:38 AM
An inch would be noticeable on mine .. any lower and I'll be scraping speed humps atleast 10 times a day which I'm not going to let happen ....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BC-Racing-Coilovers-suit-HONDA-INTEGRA-DC5-00-04-/150743021968?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2318fbf990
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BC-Racing-Coilovers-suit-HONDA-INTEGRA-DC5-00-04-/180804952116?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a18d0a034

Have seen other DC5 owners with these, any thoughts? Don't really want to spend more $$, its hard enough comparing them to $300 springs.
they would be 1000 times better then kingspring

as mentioned also check out gab. comfy as on softest setting, well priced.

u mad?
31-01-2012, 12:41 AM
dude straight out coilovers just feel so much better lol.
jumping in my old dc2 with kings ultra lows felt like shit after riding on coilovers, the car just feels so unresponsive lol even in a straightline
just feels like a boat, hard to explain, coilovers will make the car feel so much more responsive

this.

any 'performance oriented' car i go in that doesn't have coilovers i think 'man this feels like shit'

soggy saggy unresponsive boat

do not want.jpeg

IDV8
31-01-2012, 12:48 AM
Cheer guys - any preferred shops you'd recommend in Syd? Also how specific can it be when I have them installed? I still have to do a bit more measuring but if I said I want it exactly an inch above the wheel is that possible?

GSi_PSi
31-01-2012, 12:49 AM
[/URL]http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/D2-Racing-RS-Street-Coilovers-ACURA-RSX-HONDA-INTEGRA-DC5-01-suspensions-/330676327850?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cfdd855aa (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JDM-DC5-ACURA-RSX-TEIN-COILOVERS-K20A-/280656624979?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4158703d53)

[URL]http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/02-06-RSX-DC5-Coilovers-Blitz-Type-ZZR-Honda-Acura-Civic-01-05-1-7-EL-Suspension-/110798034514?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19cc13d652

cheaper options

u mad?
31-01-2012, 12:51 AM
Cheer guys - any preferred shops you'd recommend in Syd? Also how specific can it be when I have them installed? I still have to do a bit more measuring but if I said I want it exactly an inch above the wheel is that possible?

well if you want gab's, go byp. they stock theml, put em in, and set em up how you want.

but im sure theres a fukload of places in sydney that would do what you're after.

IDV8
31-01-2012, 12:54 AM
Thanks again guys, will do some research now - & cheers for the overseas link, def. cheaper :D

IDV8
31-01-2012, 02:34 AM
If I buy a pair of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BC-Racing-Coilovers-suit-HONDA-INTEGRA-DC5-00-04-/150743021968?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2318fbf990&clk_rvr_id=311498481717 would somewhere like Kmart Auto be able to put them on and arrange them how I want? Got one very close so it'd be handy to have them installed there.

mocchi
31-01-2012, 06:27 AM
If I buy a pair of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BC-Racing-Coilovers-suit-HONDA-INTEGRA-DC5-00-04-/150743021968?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2318fbf990&clk_rvr_id=311498481717 would somewhere like Kmart Auto be able to put them on and arrange them how I want? Got one very close so it'd be handy to have them installed there.

pm bennjamin for installation man, i betcha he knows more than Kmart anyway
cheaper, more friendly service nomsayin

aaronng
31-01-2012, 06:59 AM
Yeah, don't risk KMart. They might stuff your car up if it is a parts installation. Pm Bennjamin

marquee
31-01-2012, 07:27 AM
I can almost garuntee kmart will rip you off.

I did my coilovers the otherday in about 2 hours and i have never even touched suspension.

Super-DA9
31-01-2012, 07:42 AM
Coilovers is a bitch man. Keep having to adjust it a few mm, wheels on, car down, measure, car up, wheels off, adjust, repeat. Imagine doing that 50 times a day. Drives you mental

LOL I've only adjusted mine maybe 2-3 times in nearly 2 years. came in very handy when I got my ITR front that sat lower, as I was able to raise the car just a bit without buying new suspension. onnly took about 20 mins too.

u mad?
31-01-2012, 07:52 AM
LOL I've only adjusted mine maybe 2-3 times in nearly 2 years. came in very handy when I got my ITR front that sat lower, as I was able to raise the car just a bit without buying new suspension. onnly took about 20 mins too.

exactly, he's making it out to be a massive complex job.

eg5civic
31-01-2012, 09:53 AM
If you buy decent quality coilovers they won't be rough and bone jarring.

I rode in an eg with ksport coils and it was stiff but not very comfortable with soaking up bumps. I bought my JIC coils new with 12kg front 6kg rear spring rates, daily drove it, from gold coast to Brisbane 2-3 times a week at one point, even though they have stiff spring rates, I turned my dampness right down and they were mint, stuff but not a bone jarring ride.

IMO buy a set of tein super streets, very comfortable coilovers, rode in mates 33 with them. They are firm, nowhere near as stiff as my jics, but for the ease of height adjustability and a nice ride that will take corners, Id definitely reccommend them.

u mad?
31-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Yeah^

goot post dan

same with me

dd 600kms a week with toda da's, if i put them on soft they are pretty nice comfort wise

thats with 8k and 12k sr

senna
31-01-2012, 10:15 AM
I think the problem here is budget and the end user's priorities

IDV8 doesn't want to spend alot of money and he doesn't have a high priority on handling performance - alot of people don't.

Just because he has a Honda and he is on this forum doesn't mean that his car needs to be a Touge Monster...

IDV8 - try and get to a meet where there is a range of cars with different suspension, ask someone if you can go for a ride with them and see what you personally can put up with, then make your decision.

You may love the performance of coilovers and find them reasonably comfortable, alternatively you may find them much too firm for your liking - on the other hand you may go for a ride in a car with just lowered springs and find that you don't like the feeling of that.

Forums are great for info, but with suspension everyone has a different opinion on what is good/bad and everyone has a different interpretation of what is hard/soft

eg5civic
31-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Well I drove back from Sydney and accidentally had my dampners set to hard. My ex had sore kidneys for a week.
I drove to Melbourne and back on the same coilovers set to soft. Didn't have a sore part in my body or hers.

End of the day, up to him and his budget but I know personally I wouldn't own any car, even a daily without coilovers. Less boatish. But that's just me.

senna
31-01-2012, 12:34 PM
This is what i mean, you wouldn't live without them, however i own two cars that i've taken coilovers out of and fitted Koni's and Kings to - both cars are now faster through the twisty stuff!

This is why he needs to do some real life research :thumbsup:

IDV8
31-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Guess another issue is I'm very happy with how responsive my car is now and how it handles etc, I'd like to keep it the same as much as possible but still have it lowered that tiny bit.

senna
31-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Kings are 15% firmer than factory coils as a general rule, so i would be surprised if it felt worse with only a 1" drop

mocchi
31-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Kings are 15% firmer than factory coils as a general rule, so i would be surprised if it felt worse with only a 1" drop

did king springs provide fact sheets?

1900-hustler
31-01-2012, 02:55 PM
dude if you still keen on king springs hit up wholesale suspension

they doing a special on atm - $230 a pop

http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?39393-KING-SPRINGS-SPECIAL!&p=1119581#post1119581

EKVTIR-T
31-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Another factor regarding King Springs IDV8 is that they sag over time so your original 1" will end up lower

They must use inferior steel or hardening process

The jury is still out on cold/hot wound etc.

Personally I think Eibach are the top of the game so whatever they do seems best

1900-hustler
31-01-2012, 03:05 PM
good point mun

eibach are cold wound but are more expensive

the drop on the progressive springs are not too much either - might even be less than 1"

the sportline ones drop between 40-50mm but i am guessing that is too low

EKVTIR-T
31-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Ideally I'd have my springs made by japanese swordmaking blacksmiths lol

1000s of layers and perfect heat treating :D

hondapop
31-01-2012, 03:19 PM
senna......You must feel like you're fighting a loosing battle, or at least De-ja-vue

u mad?
31-01-2012, 03:21 PM
senna has a very good point. op listen to him and go for a ride in different setups if you can.

senna
31-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Pretty much pop...

Here is a basic run down of how they are made:

http://svc097.wic026v.server-web.com/manufacturing.htm

I don't work for kings by the way, but there is a lot of misconception around about many suspension products...

EKVTIR-T
31-01-2012, 03:26 PM
All that manufacturing talk is wonderful but real experience means more.

Everyone knows somebody who had/has Kings and they sag over time..

senna
31-01-2012, 03:38 PM
All that manufacturing talk means that they actually have the most advanced coil spring manufacturing process in the world - yes, better than Eibach and H&R etc etc

Every coil sags over time, doesn't matter who makes it - coilover springs sag too, just lucky you can wind it up to compensate.

If the kings sag more than 10mm over the space of 5 years, so what? They have a lifetime warranty so you can have them replaced if you are that concerned about it.

And you are right, real experience does mean alot.

mocchi
31-01-2012, 04:22 PM
All springs are manufactured under a quality system certified as complying with ISO-9001:2008.

from what i understand that means jackshit.
it can mean they way they manage their staff is iso certified, then kings springs as a company is iso certified.
that certification does not mean that the way they make springs are under iso guidelines.

theres so many different aspects in a company that can be iso certified.

IDV8
31-01-2012, 04:52 PM
lol @ those that negged for that post.. I'm getting told a million different things on each page, had to break the tension :cool:

Drifter995
31-01-2012, 05:13 PM
On a scale of cheapness to best idea:
Chopped springs -> Spring Replacements -> Coils

There is basically no difference between chopped springs and aftermarket ones aside from the fact one is slightly harder (I'd assume) If not, It'd make sense to just chop the springs if you're on that much of a budget build.

In no way am I saying chopping your springs is a good idea, Just saying, without shocks to suit the springs, it's pretty much the same as chopping them.

If I could, I'd get coils for my civic, but I most likely can't (due to the thing being 30+ years old, and not very popular for this kinda work) I can't get springs for it, unless I want to pay stupid money, and I could chop my springs, but it's illegal and stupid, so why do it? Unless I got some spare coils for cheap, and did it for fun (not that I would)
Having said that, I'm assuming... So yeah, correct if you want, I don't care.

IDV8
31-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Correct what? You made a good point ..

1900-hustler
31-01-2012, 05:22 PM
When I was a kid, when I was a little boy, I always wanted to be a dinosaur, I wanted to be a Tyrannosaurus Rex more than anything in the world, I made my arms short and I roamed the back yard, I chased the neighborhood cats, I growled and I roared, everybody knew me and was afraid of me, and one day my dad said "Bobby you are 17, it's time to throw childish things aside" and I said "OK Pop", but he didn't really say that he said that "Stop being a ****ing dinosaur and get a job".

http://www.cloudsofdirt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/screenshot-med-32.jpg

IDV8
31-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Oh man, good job hustler lmao :D

Ok back on topic for a sec, what are the cons of going with the BC coilovers? I love the way my car handles now and hope that it stays that way but I also want to lower it a little bit - someone else on here had a DC5 on BC coilovers too, not sure about performance but it did look a lot better.

IDV8
31-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Got an infraction from bennjamin for being funny, thanks man :cool: but remember, life is always better with a sense of humor ;)

u mad?
01-02-2012, 06:25 AM
I think the problem here is budget and the end user's priorities

IDV8 doesn't want to spend alot of money and he doesn't have a high priority on handling performance - alot of people don't.

Just because he has a Honda and he is on this forum doesn't mean that his car needs to be a Touge Monster...

IDV8 - try and get to a meet where there is a range of cars with different suspension, ask someone if you can go for a ride with them and see what you personally can put up with, then make your decision.

You may love the performance of coilovers and find them reasonably comfortable, alternatively you may find them much too firm for your liking - on the other hand you may go for a ride in a car with just lowered springs and find that you don't like the feeling of that.

Forums are great for info, but with suspension everyone has a different opinion on what is good/bad and everyone has a different interpretation of what is hard/soft

op listen to this man.

senna
01-02-2012, 07:48 AM
On a scale of cheapness to best idea:
Chopped springs -> Spring Replacements -> Coils

There is basically no difference between chopped springs and aftermarket ones aside from the fact one is slightly harder (I'd assume) If not, It'd make sense to just chop the springs if you're on that much of a budget build.

In no way am I saying chopping your springs is a good idea, Just saying, without shocks to suit the springs, it's pretty much the same as chopping them.

If I could, I'd get coils for my civic, but I most likely can't (due to the thing being 30+ years old, and not very popular for this kinda work) I can't get springs for it, unless I want to pay stupid money, and I could chop my springs, but it's illegal and stupid, so why do it? Unless I got some spare coils for cheap, and did it for fun (not that I would)
Having said that, I'm assuming... So yeah, correct if you want, I don't care.

There are King Springs listed for your car, lol... KHFL-31 & KHRL-32

Drifter995
01-02-2012, 01:23 PM
There are King Springs listed for your car, lol... KHFL-31 & KHRL-32

orly?
eh.. car would crap itself if I put them under it without new shocks.. the front shocks are about to die anyway, rears would probably cope since they are like half a year old.
But still, Would prefer coils.

Stevil
01-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Why not Eibach pro kit springs ? JDMyard supplys em, not sure if they have em in stock but I payed $300 for a set last year and from memory Kings springs were similar in price. As to the quality of Kings springs ? plenty of mates started out with them but changed em out when they found the limitations of em.

If we had roads like Japan than everybody would be running coilovers, fact is our shitting potholed, speedbumped goat tracks will wear out coilovers twice as quick as a decent shock spring combo. If ya got plenty of moula to throw away then go for it.

newpaddy3
09-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Springs vs coilovers.

Well you'll need dampers for your spings, otherwise you'll be bouncing around the road.

I'd go with coilovers.

CRXDEL501
10-04-2012, 12:13 AM
I'd go with coilovers.

amen brother lol

mugen_ctr
10-04-2012, 12:40 AM
MANY fail to see the point of springs+damper setups on DD, everyone says get coilovers but why? track performance on the public roads? 9/10 times in a year u wont even track it, so why bother with coilover, yes im sounding hypocritical now, cause i run coilovers, but too much miss information goin around, too much hearsay going around with no real evidence to prove that entry level coilovers like bc (not buddyclubs) are better than say Mugen spring+damper setup or even Koni+GC setup which plenty of guys use it in the states on DD and AutoX/track.

Remember this setup is best for DD due to the nature of non linear spring rate which coilovers dont have! Linear spring rates are what cause spine shattering ride... think about it... if its a linear rate, theres not much give vs progressive spring rate, feel me?

The good spring+damper setups like Mugen, NISMO, and ralliart are the bomb! with proper researched damper valve suited to the springs they will last ages and perform just as well vs cheap coilovers which tend to deteriorate on shotty roads like in vic and can be built poorly and most, if not all entry level coilovers built in taiwan lol.... (im not sure about tein SS though)

For the price of BC coilovers, id take Mugen spring+shocks any day if i had dc5R if were talking about price for price.... though its non adjustable, its mugen LOL cmon jdm fan boys agree with me :D

Mikecivic78
10-04-2012, 08:36 AM
On another forum's thread, a guy posted this. I think it sums up the argument of springs/shocks vs coilovers well:

"This is a bit of a funny thread, since you can't definitively say that either are better than the other. Some spring/strut combos will far outperform coilovers, some coilovers will far outperform strut/springs on the track but give horrible ride quality, and some (read: expensive) coilovers will just plain be better than everything else.

If you're thinking about coilovers, you should sit down and think very hard about what you want them for. If ride quality factors in at all, and budget even factors into it, then coilovers are probably not for you. Even some of the moderately priced coilovers like Tein are still considered really firm by some, although I've heard Teins sold in Australia have been revalved for Australia's horrible roads and so are a nicer ride.
Some of the brands I've heard can be quite comfortable include Ohlins, Apexi, K2, Bilstein PSS9. I think the cheapest of these start at about $2,000, and range up to exceeding $4,000 for the Bilsteins and K2.

Having said that, you can get something like BCs and set them really soft, but it just won't be a refined ride"

CRXDEL501
10-04-2012, 08:38 AM
I don't know how people talk about ride quality (not being great for street with coilovers) I love it.
I don't see the point in a shock and spring combo I'm just a Coilover type of guy

aRze
10-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Why not Eibach pro kit springs ? JDMyard supplys em, not sure if they have em in stock but I payed $300 for a set last year and from memory Kings springs were similar in price. As to the quality of Kings springs ? plenty of mates started out with them but changed em out when they found the limitations of em.

If we had roads like Japan than everybody would be running coilovers, fact is our shitting potholed, speedbumped goat tracks will wear out coilovers twice as quick as a decent shock spring combo. If ya got plenty of moula to throw away then go for it.

Feel the same way as Stevil here.
IDV8, you mentioned that you'd like a ride that feels similar to stock.
A lot of guys on the Type R Owners UK forum run Eibach springs DC5's and EP3's alike.
From what I've read on their forums, although subjective, the members who run Eibachs say the ride is similar to stock, just a tad stiffer, and handles nicely too :)
Although I must add that they run camber bolts and arms with the springs to fine-tune their geometry.

Im also currently running -30mm Eibachs in my EP3 and by my own preferences, it rides really well (just avoid massive potholes, as you should anyway =P) plus it handles as well when I feel like doing some spirited driving.
I do need to point out however that the mid-pipe of my catback (Fujitsubo RM01a) does scrape slightly over sharply inclined surfaces such as tall speedbumps, entering shopping malls via upward ramps. I have no problems with the front lip scraping.
Just letting you know incase you are planning on/already running an aftermarket exhaust system that hangs low in your wheelbase.

Just my 2 cents...
But as senna mentioned, best way is to take a ride in a few different setups, but seeing as you want to retain a closer-to-stock feel, Eibach Pro Kit is highly recommended :)

Here's a pic of a JDM DC5 on Pro Kit. Not sure how different it will be for AUDM DC5r's as stock wheel and tyre combo is different. Someone can shed some light on this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/dotty555/DC5%202010/P1010593.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/dotty555/DC5%202010/P1010592.jpg

trism
10-04-2012, 09:14 AM
I think the appeal of coilovers to most people isn't the ride, or the handling, its simply the ability to easily adjust ride height.

Mikecivic78
10-04-2012, 09:18 AM
I think the appeal of coilovers to most people isn't the ride, or the handling, its simply the ability to easily adjust ride height.
seriously gospel truth

CRXDEL501
10-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Damper... Feels good and tastes good if ya know what I mean lol

senna
10-04-2012, 10:56 AM
I don't know how people talk about ride quality (not being great for street with coilovers) I love it.
I don't see the point in a shock and spring combo I'm just a Coilover type of guy

If you were in Sydney i could change your mind immediately!

A lot of people say that the ride "isn't bad" with their coilovers - but why settle for not bad when you can have excellent? And still keep the performance factor? High quality dampers and springs can give you both of these things - no one is willing to try it because they'd prefer to listen to a bunch of amateurs with nothing to compare their ebay special coilovers to...

curtis265
10-04-2012, 11:14 AM
^agry'd

try before you bash/become a coilover purist

pat-tran do you do ground control kits?

Mikecivic78
10-04-2012, 11:29 AM
If you were in Sydney i could change your mind immediately!

A lot of people say that the ride "isn't bad" with their coilovers - but why settle for not bad when you can have excellent? And still keep the performance factor? High quality dampers and springs can give you both of these things - no one is willing to try it because they'd prefer to listen to a bunch of amateurs with nothing to compare their ebay special coilovers to...
Told

Nice one Pat.

I got an alcoholic ex-mate. When he doesn't have any cash, he scrapes together a couple of dollars in change and buys vanilla essence. He says it tastes 'not bad' with coffee lol.

senna
10-04-2012, 11:31 AM
No GC distributor in Australia mate...

curtis265
10-04-2012, 11:34 AM
bugger, thought so. anything similar?

senna
10-04-2012, 11:56 AM
We can make it, however because it would be one of at first the cost will be much more than the GC kit from the states...

CRXDEL501
10-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Since we talking abou coilovers ...

Changed mine from Bwr to buddyclub today
Got my buddyclub set on stiffest setting
Not even stiff enough and I got race hasport engine mounts

Nice and comfy and bouncy

Man up coil over haters who like a spring and shock combo.

Coilovers for daily mmmmm

migoreng
10-04-2012, 04:37 PM
My kings lows (with stock shocks) have been fine for 100,000km. odometer is now at 270,000km

With a full car my prelude lowers to zero finger fender gaps and the ride height is still 9 or 10cm off the ground. With no passengers, the ride height is practical.
There's nothing wrong with them. They're value for money.

GSi_PSi
10-04-2012, 05:01 PM
kings springs and cut springs

i cant tell the difference honestly..

not saying kings are bad. but they fell like oem but sitting lil bit lower

migoreng
10-04-2012, 05:16 PM
They definately have a stiffer spring rate compared to stock. Plus when the car is loaded, the progressive springs start working.

You can't expect them to be full stiff... They allow some suspension travel for ride comfort.

even with a full car on an interstate trip, I don't have any worries about bottoming out

Mikecivic78
10-04-2012, 06:00 PM
They definately have a stiffer spring rate compared to stock. Plus when the car is loaded, the progressive springs start working.

You can't expect them to be full stiff... They allow some suspension travel for ride comfort.

even with a full car on an interstate trip, I don't have any worries about bottoming out

http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/

trism
10-04-2012, 08:05 PM
so much wynn^^

Super-DA9
10-04-2012, 08:14 PM
no one is willing to try it because they'd prefer to listen to a bunch of amateurs with nothing to compare their ebay special coilovers to...

I've been in and driven a car with an expensive shock spring combo and it was really good. although I bought my coilovers with adjustable height+damper+spring in mind more then anything. and we don't ALL have "ebay specials" dude haha... unless buddyclub/cusco/silvers etc are ebay special..

They definately have a stiffer spring rate compared to stock.

really? my kings felt worse then stock and I've had oem/kings/coilovers. they look maybe a little thinner then the stock springs metal but i'm not 100% sure so don't quote me on that.

i think with spring/shock combo you need to be using the right height shock and pick your spring rate and dampening based on the kind of ride/performance you have in mind otherwise it'll feel wrong. only problem is once you buy it you (normally) can't adjust it so if you go wrong you need to sell/buy again.

Super-DA9
10-04-2012, 08:31 PM
When I bought King Springs brand new from day 1 I said "it feels weaker than my OEM springs"

Not only that after awhile it sags, screwed my shocks, and the handling became worse.

Waste of precious money just for junk so stay away from it

edit:
sorry if this offends anyone but I just hate king springs lol

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DC2-PWR again."

DC2-PWR
10-04-2012, 08:35 PM
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DC2-PWR again."

Add Reputation to: Super-DA9

What do you think of Super-DA9's post?
"I approve"

Your comment: Mad kent!!

Super-DA9
10-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Add Reputation to: Super-DA9

What do you think of Super-DA9's post?
"I approve"

Your comment: Mad kent!!

:cool:

senna
10-04-2012, 09:02 PM
I've been in and driven a car with an expensive shock spring combo and it was really good. although I bought my coilovers with adjustable height+damper+spring in mind more then anything. and we don't ALL have "ebay specials" dude haha... unless buddyclub/cusco/silvers etc are ebay special..

really? my kings felt worse then stock and I've had oem/kings/coilovers. they look maybe a little thinner then the stock springs metal but i'm not 100% sure so don't quote me on that.

i think with spring/shock combo you need to be using the right height shock and pick your spring rate and dampening based on the kind of ride/performance you have in mind otherwise it'll feel wrong. only problem is once you buy it you (normally) can't adjust it so if you go wrong you need to sell/buy again.

Sure, this may be a generalisation, but there is so much misinformation on forums when it comes to suspension and far too many people will recommend coilovers for anyone and everyone. This isn't right.

Sure I sell king springs, but I'm not going to say they are the best for everyone. I can assure you that the spring rates are higher than stock springs though.

A lot of people blame the spring when its really the shock...

grifty
10-04-2012, 09:31 PM
I was running kings superlows on bilstein shocks before, the fronts were ok but the rear was too soft IMO. It was a comfy ride, with some stiffer springs at the rear the ride would of been perfect.

DC2-PWR
10-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Sure, this may be a generalisation, but there is so much misinformation on forums when it comes to suspension and far too many people will recommend coilovers for anyone and everyone. This isn't right.

Sure I sell king springs, but I'm not going to say they are the best for everyone. I can assure you that the spring rates are higher than stock springs though.

Didn't read any of your previous posts but I'd accept what you would've wrote anyway. Can't judge you wrong since its your job doing suspensions.

I'd probably guess my shocks were shot too. So in that case I can't actually review king springs from my behalf, so I'll delete my previous post.

Thanks!

simmy
10-04-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm running a stock DC5 and want to drop it a couple of CM, probably an inch exactly. I figured I could just buy some Kings Springs and have them installed, would save a hell of a lot of $$ (this will go towards an exhaust or CAI setup). I use my car as a daily and absolutely no track use.

So what would be the difference besides price - and how exact can I be about vehicle height? Thanks!

BC Coilovers: $1150
King Springs: ~$300
pm senna

mugen_ctr
10-04-2012, 11:04 PM
I was running kings superlows on bilstein shocks before, the fronts were ok but the rear was too soft IMO. It was a comfy ride, with some stiffer springs at the rear the ride would of been perfect.

Kings we buy are not what u would call performance springs, infact they far cry from it... Ive had kings in mine thinking they were performance, how wrong was i!

If u want performance, go teins/eibachs/koni or better yet if u got the dough custom springs straight up!

been in cars with teins, and must say they are much better performing spring than any kings, regardless of lows/Super lows/Super super lows. Much firmer, rides better and just the quality!

curtis265
11-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Who said shocks/spring combos can't be adjustable?

koni yellow adjustable shocks + ground controlkit = full adjustability

what exactly do you mean by that? if the spring sits too low a nd overworks the shock isn't that essentially the spring causing the issue? Or the shocks for not keeping up with a non desirable spring?

senna
11-04-2012, 11:01 AM
what exactly do you mean by that? if the spring sits too low a nd overworks the shock isn't that essentially the spring causing the issue? Or the shocks for not keeping up with a non desirable spring?

Putting things simply, the spring holds the weight of the car and the shock or damper controls the way that weight moves around.

When you take a shock that has been working in a particular range for say 80,000k's it creates a wear pattern on the rod and the seal. So when you move that range higher or lower the contact point is different and the wear pattern starts all over again. This time though the seal will fail and let gas/oil out of the shock body.

A similar thing happens inside the shock where the piston moves up and down inside the tube.

curtis265
11-04-2012, 11:13 AM
makes sense

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to senna again.

thanks!

Super-DA9
11-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Who said shocks/spring combos can't be adjustable?

koni yellow adjustable shocks + ground controlkit = full adjustability

sure but if that gives you all the same adjustability doesn't that just make it a coilover in two parts anyway..?

senna
11-04-2012, 11:26 AM
It does, but that example is a much higher quality shock and spring compared to what you will get on BC or D2 etc coilover.

curtis265
11-04-2012, 11:28 AM
sure but if that gives you all the same adjustability doesn't that just make it a coilover in two parts anyway..?

you can pick your desired parts rather than have to purchase an entire unit

trism
11-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Its all a matter of money.

You can get coilovers, get then custom valved be damper/rebound adjustable, and get custom spring rates.

But you will pay 5k for it.

The fact is though, that most people with a Honda just want to get low, and have height adjustment. And the easiest cheapest way for them to do this is a set of el cheapo coilovers for under 1k

mocchi
11-04-2012, 12:23 PM
great info here guise

http://i.picasion.com/pic51/0c478a5b87102d3700fa683784d58838.gif

CRXDEL501
11-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Its all a matter of money.

You can get coilovers, get then custom valved be damper/rebound adjustable, and get custom spring rates.

But you will pay 5k for it.

The fact is though, that most people with a Honda just want to get low, and have height adjustment. And the easiest cheapest way for them to do this is a set of el cheapo coilovers for under 1k

That's right
May as well get some Bwr from the states

ChaosMaster
11-04-2012, 03:03 PM
How's Pedder's compare to say kings? Looking at springs and shocks changed/lowered. Having said that, I only want to half the gap between my guards and tyres, no remove them completely (the usual 30mm seems as bit much).

kyzz
11-04-2012, 03:17 PM
coilovers have springs

springs have springs(dafuq)

dont you mean coilovers vs shock spring combo

4age8u
11-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Anyone running bc? They sell around 1k new very tempting from what I've read... There alot better than your other cheap coils

Super-DA9
11-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Anyone running bc? They sell around 1k new very tempting from what I've read... There alot better than your other cheap coils

my friend has BC Racing BR's on his S14 and they seem to handle very nicely

CRXDEL501
12-04-2012, 04:55 PM

For an extra $300 you can go buddyclub
Bc over priced to me for what they are to be honest

fh93
13-04-2012, 01:41 AM
I've got king springs in my dc5r, and i hate them tbh, get coilovers!!

IDV8
13-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Why do you hate them?

grifty
13-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Why do you hate them?

why else would you hate them? he probably has them on stock shocks which have blown causing the car to bounce around everywhere.

CRXDEL501
14-04-2012, 08:09 AM
To sum it all up....
If you want something cheap and don't care so much about the feel get cr*ppy king springs
If you got the money get coilovers, but do it right one time and you won't regret it
At the end of the day it's up to you, everyone has different thoughts on everything and everyone likes different things

End of thread lol

trism
14-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Actually, your post doesn't sum up anything IMO.

CRXDEL501
14-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Actually, your post doesn't sum up anything IMO.

Yeah it does
Springs are sh*t
Coilovers are the sh*t

trism
14-04-2012, 09:01 AM
But so many people will disagree with you there.

I'd much rather run with a premium spring/damper combo, like say, custom rate Eibach springs on damper adjustable KYB/Koni/Tokico shocks, and have a comfortable ride while being firmer and lower than stock, than for the same price buy a set of cheap as fuxk coilovers that are stiff as shit and bruise your kidneys every time you drive.

I've been there, done that, and I won't do it again.

Like I said earlier, the only reason I continue to recommend coilovers to people is because they are height adjustable, and that's what they are asking for.

DakDak
14-04-2012, 09:04 AM
next car I get im going after a good shock and spring combo. If I lived in japan id go super stiff coilovers or somewhere with good roads and not the disgraceful sh!t sydney has. My coilovers make dd annoying.

CRXDEL501
14-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Yeah and when you go with the brands you have said then yeah
But when someone wants to use king springs? Why even bother

But I do agree with you there though

I had kyb shocks, and trying to get them out of my car to put coilovers was the biggest pain in the A... They were so long lol

marquee
14-04-2012, 09:30 AM
I had coilovers for one reason to increase/decrease height within 30 minutes. Only reason i didn't give to shits about daily drive or anything. Even though mine was relatively comfy due to the longer wheel base euros have.

To put it simply you can buy good quality shock spring combo for about 900 that is well branded koni eibach. But for basic coilovers you will be paying well over for bc or buddyclub not saying anything about quality.

Simple in my opinion if you just want sporting ride with good quality parts. Buy shock spring combo. If you want to see how love you can go and raise it up don't care about ride quality buy coilovers. Some cars ill choose shock spring combo some cars ill choose coilovers.

Please autocorrect don't duck this paragraph

kyzz
14-04-2012, 09:32 AM
koni yellows are adjustable

justsayin

CRXDEL501
14-04-2012, 09:36 AM
i got buddyclub.

nomsayin

curtis265
14-04-2012, 10:56 AM
shock spring + ground contorl is the solution

http://www.autocarparts.com/images/groundcontrol/ground-control-coilover.jpg

Mikecivic78
14-04-2012, 11:40 AM
shock spring + ground contorl is the solution

http://www.autocarparts.com/images/groundcontrol/ground-control-coilover.jpg

I always wanted these for my em1, but budget was too low

I got koni yellow dampers and Eibach pro kit. It was an very decent compromise of performance/comfort. Adjustable dampers helped a lot for balance and fine-tuning

Looking back, I wish I got the GCs as well. I was on a budget though. Got the Eibachs new for 290. The guy I bought em off but never got round to installing them. So still new in box. Koni yellows were 700 express shipping from states

That was a year ago with dollar at 98 US

1k all up. I recommend it

amant02
15-04-2012, 12:55 AM
TIEN COILOVERS (super streets), you can adjust the height and how stiff the car is. Had them in all my honda's best 1k i ever spent! Really recommend them. You can choose from gokart like handling to nice comfy ride any time u want :D On top of that u can dump her on her ass!

Plus it helps when u get defected, 20 minutes of adjusting and a quick trip to the local mechanic! also had 2 accidents (really bad ones, did a couple of 360's in the air) the coils never leaked bent or anything came out perfect!

Indie
15-04-2012, 04:11 AM
TIEN COILOVERS (super streets), you can adjust the height and how stiff the car is. Had them in all my honda's best 1k i ever spent! Really recommend them. You can choose from gokart like handling to nice comfy ride any time u want :D On top of that u can dump her on her ass!

Plus it helps when u get defected, 20 minutes of adjusting and a quick trip to the local mechanic! also had 2 accidents (really bad ones, did a couple of 360's in the air) the coils never leaked bent or anything came out perfect!Maybe you should worry less about giving your cars 'go kart-like handling', and focus more on not driving like an idiot, before you kill yourself, or worse, someone else? Just a thought.

lilthug
15-04-2012, 04:19 AM
360's in the air?????

kyzz
15-04-2012, 08:35 AM
drifting in a front wheel drive

inb4 tyd

CRXDEL501
15-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Maybe you should worry less about giving your cars 'go kart-like handling', and focus more on not driving like an idiot, before you kill yourself, or worse, someone else? Just a thought.

Lol get over yourself
Mr police officer

CRXDEL501
15-04-2012, 10:31 AM

Plus it helps when u get defected, 20 minutes of adjusting and a quick trip to the local mechanic! also had 2 accidents (really bad ones, did a couple of 360's in the air) the coils never leaked bent or anything came out perfect!

Teins:thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

1900-hustler
15-04-2012, 10:45 AM
wonder if OP has made a decision yet on either option.

for everyone it'll come down to money

those with the cash obviously have more options with what suspension set up they go for

what i dont understand with this thread is that you are comparing 'entry level' springs and coils where the actual difference in price is around $800..

if you had the cash just get the coils and be done with it..
if you dont want to spend as much on the car and put it somewhere else get the springs..

OP already said he will be daily driving the car and no track use whatsoever - so get springs and spend the rest of the difference on the exhaust or CAI

In regards to the question about height, Senna might have to confirm but lows will go around an inch plus once settled will go slightly lower again which sounds like what you are after

loweirng the car will add wear to your shocks so over time just put some cash away for that
once they let go you will have plenty of cash to replace them

amant02
15-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Maybe you should worry less about giving your cars 'go kart-like handling', and focus more on not driving like an idiot, before you kill yourself, or worse, someone else? Just a thought.

What i do with my cars and my life is up to me bud. And this was @ 3am on a quiet road fkn pot holes.

lithhug, i hill and toed's around a coner cause the car go side ways while hitting a pot hole. made the car flip 3 times in the air landing perfectly in between telegraph pole and a school zone sign, cracked the wishbone and front passenger side rotor cracked in 1/2. No dmg to the coils thou.

Original thread starter: Only people that dont recommend tiens are the tight ass's who havn't had them yet. Personally i rather spend more on handling then speed or sound. Up to you what u wanna do your car. Suspension work>Power if its a daily.

i like to test how fast i can go around a corner :D

4age8u
15-04-2012, 11:16 AM

1k for tein Ss? Where? When? How? $1700 is the cheapest I've seem
New in aus that is

DakDak
15-04-2012, 11:39 AM
What i do with my cars and my life is up to me bud. And this was @ 3am on a quiet road fkn pot holes.

lithhug, i hill and toed's around a coner cause the car go side ways while hitting a pot hole. made the car flip 3 times in the air landing perfectly in between telegraph pole and a school zone sign, cracked the wishbone and front passenger side rotor cracked in 1/2. No dmg to the coils thou.

Original thread starter: Only people that dont recommend tiens are the tight ass's who havn't had them yet. Personally i rather spend more on handling then speed or sound. Up to you what u wanna do your car. Suspension work>Power if its a daily.

Everyone should buy Tein. They allow you to defy the laws of physics!

I have spent like 3K on various coilovers all up. I like Tein the best

CRXDEL501
15-04-2012, 12:13 PM
wonder if OP has made a decision yet on either option.

lol yeah right .
Op is doing too many things at once chances are its all a dream

trism
15-04-2012, 01:01 PM

Spend money on handling when clearly you dont know how to drive.

You are the kind of person that gives the rest of us modified car owners a bad name.

90LAN
15-04-2012, 01:12 PM
coilovers are for stance

shock and spring combo for bouncy stance

SuperJDM.
15-04-2012, 01:24 PM
coilovers are for stance

shock and spring combo for bouncy stance

chopped springs for ballin on a budget stance

Indie
15-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Lol get over yourself
Mr police officerThe only thing I'm worried about 'getting over' is the grief of losing a loved one to somebody who drives like an idiot on public roads.

If you were going fast enough that you couldn't avoid a pothole despite your car's 'go-kart handling', and fast enough that a pothole was enough to get your car airborne, then it's not up to you, it's up to everybody who pays for and uses our roads.

I don't care how quiet the roads are, they are no ****ing place to be 'testing' how fast you can go around a corner. Clearly, if you're putting the back wheels out on your FWD hatchback, you're driving like an idiot. Track days are cheap, for Christ's sake.

P.S. It's 'heel and toed', not 'hill and toed's'. As in, the heel of your foot? You know, the foot that should be stuck up your arse.

CRXDEL501
15-04-2012, 02:51 PM
The only thing I'm worried about 'getting over' is the grief of losing a loved one to somebody who drives like an idiot on public roads.

If you were going fast enough that you couldn't avoid a pothole despite your car's 'go-kart handling', and fast enough that a pothole was enough to get your car airborne, then it's not up to you, it's up to everybody who pays for and uses our roads.

I don't care how quiet the roads are, they are no ****ing place to be 'testing' how fast you can go around a corner. Clearly, if you're putting the back wheels out on your FWD hatchback, you're driving like an idiot. Track days are cheap, for Christ's sake.

P.S. It's 'heel and toed', not 'hill and toed's'. As in, the heel of your foot? You know, the foot that should be stuck up your arse.

I'm sure he drives sensibly was just mucking around

curtis265
15-04-2012, 03:08 PM

you shouldn't be openly admitting to this on a public forum either bud

trism
15-04-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm sure he drives sensibly was just mucking around

http://gifs.gifbin.com/032012/1332783608_sarkozy_laugh.gif

Super-DA9
15-04-2012, 03:28 PM
The only thing I'm worried about 'getting over' is the grief of losing a loved one to somebody who drives like an idiot on public roads.

HAHA relax dude, don't needa be telling others what they should be doing with their cars. no matter what you say people will do what they want. true story.jpeg

CRXDEL501
15-04-2012, 03:37 PM
http://gifs.gifbin.com/032012/1332783608_sarkozy_laugh.gif

Can't see your gif

Shame.

ChaosMaster
15-04-2012, 06:18 PM
HAHA relax dude, don't needa be telling others what they should be doing with their cars. no matter what you say people will do what they want. true story.jpeg

Whiles true, that I don't give a damn about what an idiot chose to do and how much he values his life, imagine what would have happened if there was a pedestrian who just happened to be in the stop he landed, or if he hit the power pole, the street would have had to put up with a day without electricity, or perhaps there was a parked car there or that if instead of flipping, his car jumped, understeered, and went straight into the corner house. He might reckon his life is worth shit, but doesn't mean he should risk those of others.

Super-DA9
15-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Whiles true, that I don't give a damn about what an idiot chose to do and how much he values his life, imagine what would have happened if there was a pedestrian who just happened to be in the stop he landed, or if he hit the power pole, the street would have had to put up with a day without electricity, or perhaps there was a parked car there or that if instead of flipping, his car jumped, understeered, and went straight into the corner house. He might reckon his life is worth shit, but doesn't mean he should risk those of others.

although you say that probably 90% of people on here drive spiritedly sometimes anyway. and even the people that don't will have taken some hard corners at some point in their life. so its not like he's the only person.

not sayin' i support anything in particular, but thats the way it is i suppose. telling them they are idiots won't make a difference if thats how they want to drive.

CRXDEL501
15-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Dont even worry about it ay
Newcomer starting conflict
Welcome to ozhonda

GU357
15-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Go springs... i can't stand coilovers. Springs was uncomfortably bouncy, but coilovers frickin hurt. 2nd hand king springs $100 win

did u try adjusting the dampers, the only difference between coils and springs is that the coils have the ability to control bouncy ness. if its not bouncy enough its just hard.

trism
15-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Incorrect. Not all coilovers are damper adjustable.

Indie
15-04-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm sure he drives sensibly was just mucking aroundhttp://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opposite

aaronng
15-04-2012, 09:28 PM
lithhug, i hill and toed's around a coner cause the car go side ways while hitting a pot hole.

WTF? Heel toe does not cause your car to go sideways in a corner. Overspeed and then hitting the brakes mid corner does that. You need to go do advanced driver training.

curtis265
15-04-2012, 09:30 PM
i think.. it was a fail heel toe, didn't rev enough, got a massive forward weight transfer and spun :S

CRXDEL501
15-04-2012, 09:31 PM
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opposite

Go to bed

newpaddy3
15-04-2012, 09:44 PM
WTF? Heel toe does not cause your car to go sideways in a corner. Overspeed and then hitting the brakes mid corner does that. You need to go do advanced driver training.

Depending on type of vehicle and set up, but this is a general rule for Hondas.

aaronng
15-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Depending on type of vehicle and set up, but this is a general rule for Hondas.
Also applies to RWD, weight transfer to the front when in a high speed corner just causes the rear tyres to lose grip.

GSi_PSi
15-04-2012, 10:05 PM
amant02 is either a troll, judging from his other posts

or just a retard

Indie
15-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Go to bedChamp, most other people here seem to agree that the guy can't drive. Why are you so defensive about it? Did you wreck your CRX on a pothole, too?

newpaddy3
16-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Also applies to RWD, weight transfer to the front when in a high speed corner just causes the rear tyres to lose grip.

Yeah I know, that's why I said depending on the type of vehicle.

I've done 2 defensive driving courses, and a drifting course for them mad skills brah.

curtis265
16-04-2012, 12:10 AM
I thought braking mid corner in any car caused awkward combinations of oversteer and understeer depending on brake bias?

newpaddy3
16-04-2012, 12:15 AM
I thought braking mid corner in any car caused awkward combinations of oversteer and understeer depending on brake bias?

Tires can only apply a certain amount of grip, and depending on the weight bias of the car (front vs rear) and the weight transfer under braking around a corner, will determine if you will under steer or over steer.

In a DC2, in most circumstances will over steer.

In a BA Falcon, in most circumstances you will under steer.

I know because I've done it with both of these cars.

You also need to take into account the quality of your tires.

amant02
16-04-2012, 01:41 AM
Yes it was fail heel and toe. And i dont do this on a daily basis. And yes im a troll bahaha i only come on ozhonda wen about change cars lol, or in the market for a new part. Yes i spun on the ground a few times due to my 'learning'. Since im getting serious about trying to attempt corners at high speed ill be investing money to track soon when i have a 'real' car to track in. 1st two corners were done perfectly that night. I was alone and it was wet in a newly developed industrial area with minimal buildings where roads a 4 lanes wide each side :D. Fyi public forum oh who cares its online and this happened just over a year ago and im just trolling till i find a car for my gf and bye bye ozhonda till next time i need something :D might not even come back after this car full license soon lad! *blow off valve sound*

Tread starter go coils man, honestly if you go springs your just wasting good 300 bucks that could go towards a set of coils, personal exp. I was once on a budget doing up cars too. Do it right the 1st time around the secret to saving money and backyard space lol

And oh to the hater, its my life at the end of the day, what do you care if i die (imma die sooner or later)? Will you be at me funeral? ya bud i don't think so.

EKVTIR-T
16-04-2012, 01:47 AM
Hopefully you learn from your mistake and dont endanger yourself or others if you can help it.

Most here like to play the angel angle as if they never did anything dumb in their youth/life but reality is a different matter :)

Indie
16-04-2012, 02:04 AM
And oh to the hater, its my life at the end of the day, what do you care if i die (imma die sooner or later)? Will you be at me funeral? ya bud i don't think so.I assume you mean me? Well, while it's fair to say that your death wouldn't affect me on any emotional level, your attitude does. People like you dying on the roads gives the rest of us a bad name. I don't want to be considered a moron simply because I drive a Honda, but people like you contribute to the perception that P platers and Honda drivers are a bunch of reckless ****s who simply can't drive for shit.

amant02
16-04-2012, 02:20 AM
Hey wats the point of buying a honda if u aren't gonna hit vtec at all, its the high revving thats giving you a 'bad name'. Might as well go buy a camry which gives u the safety and more torque and power lol. Dont come on here and act like you hvnt vtec'd in your car at all, and i have attended Traffic Offenders Program, before you worry about a P plater hoon killing people on the road, think about the drink/drug (normally full licensed) drivers out there mate. You have no idea, do you. Dont just go off what the media tells you, do your own research. Wait ill link you to a stats page if i can find one.

Hmm cant find one + cbf at this time, while i attended TOIP i was advised the major factor of fatal crashes are drink/drug drivers usually fully licensed) majority of p plater fatal crashes being inexperienced was the major factor not speed or hooning. also all the speakers are from the community services ie High way patrol, Fire, ambo, scientist laywers car manufactures and the list goes on.

newpaddy3
16-04-2012, 02:40 AM
He's not saying other people don't do shit. He's saying he doesn't want a bad name associated.

1. Learn to read.

2. **** off

Indie
16-04-2012, 02:49 AM
Hey wats the point of buying a honda if u aren't gonna hit vtec at all, its the high revving thats giving you a 'bad name'. Might as well go buy a camry which gives u the safety and more torque and power lol. Dont come on here and act like you hvnt vtec'd in your car at all, and i have attended Traffic Offenders Program, before you about a P plater hoon killing people on the road, think about the drink/drug (normally full licensed) drivers out there mate. You have no idea, do you. Dont just go off what the media tells you, do your own research. Wait ill link you to a stats page if i can find one.

Hmm cant find one + cbf at this time, while i attended TOIP i was advised the major factor of fatal crashes are drink/drug drivers usually fully licensed) majority of p plater fatal crashes being inexperienced was the major factor not speed or hooning. also all the speakers are from the community services ie High way patrol, Fire, ambo, scientist laywers car manufactures and the list goes on.What? So all the drunk drivers out there somehow make it more acceptable for you to pose a threat on the road because you were sober? That makes about as much sense as anything else you've said.

And you're really equating hitting a certain rev threshold, and engaging VTEC, with clumsily ****ing up a heel-toe braking manoeuvre and getting your car airborne? Another stupid statement. You've blamed everything from potholes to wet roads, rather than accepting that you can't drive for shit. And you talk as if you're some kind of race driver 'pushing the limits', and that trashing your car makes you a bad-ass. You actually have the audacity to recommend handling modifications to somebody, when you can't even keep your car on the road, and your 'limit-pushing' on the track.

So go on. You said you're trolling, so we're done here. I hope your girlfriend takes better care of her car than you do, and I hope she doesn't get wiped out by the clumsy heel and toe of some wannabe boy racer.

Super-DA9
16-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Go make a "Safe Driving" thread in the lounge guys, this has nothing to do with "Springs vs Coilovers".

GSi_PSi
16-04-2012, 09:10 AM
http://www.freewebs.com/calitorial/Don__t_feed_the_Troll.jpg

Mikecivic78
16-04-2012, 09:34 AM
amant02

If u are not a troll, it sounds like you had your accident because you failed to drive to the road conditions. One thing I have learnt is that driving fast on winding roads you don't know can lead to accidents. Push it on familiar roads, much like a race track, you get to know all the bumps and imperfections.

If you knew the road, you would have driven around the pothole instead of losing it. The excuse of heel/toe is rubbish.

You and your car are both very lucky to be alive today. Lesson learned hopefully

CRXDEL501
16-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Indie... Sorry dude, this guy deserves no one sticking up for him
Sounds like he is dead set serious

Negged him for the posts

Drifter995
16-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Hey wats the point of buying a honda if u aren't gonna hit vtec at all, its the high revving thats giving you a 'bad name'. Might as well go buy a camry which gives u the safety and more torque and power lol. Dont come on here and act like you hvnt vtec'd in your car at all, and i have attended Traffic Offenders Program, before you worry about a P plater hoon killing people on the road, think about the drink/drug (normally full licensed) drivers out there mate. You have no idea, do you. Dont just go off what the media tells you, do your own research. Wait ill link you to a stats page if i can find one.

*coughs* I've owned two hondas, neither had/ have vtec... I've never attended a traffic offenders program... I've had my license suspended, because I crashed my eg (first rain, slippery corner) and got a fine for running a yellow light when I was trying not to do that, and ended up doing that to not look like I was trying not to do it... I'm exempt from your entire argument. :3
Also, research doesn't give you a bad name as much as media does... What's the bet thousands of people, if not millions around the country think every person in a modified car is a hoon, who is unruly, aggressive, can't talk for shit, and doesn't give a shit for the law or people's safety. after watching a current affair, when they went on about defects 'n' shit, and interviewed a bunch of pissed off wogs (no offense to anybody here) Media has more of a control on what gives people a bad name or not. So if you and every other boy racer out there goes and does skiddies on the streets, crashing into shit and scaring the general public, no doubt everyone in a honda will get a bad rep.

tl;dr, I'm exempt from your argument cause I don't have/ haven't ever had any vtec honda's, nor have I ever been in a traffic offenders program. You're also an idiot, who can't troll for shit, and sucks at driving.
Gratz.

butterfingers
16-04-2012, 04:45 PM

coilovers all the way

imo anyway.

its true guys

CRXDEL501
16-04-2012, 04:50 PM
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n30/BrianFromOz/closed.jpg

Become bull sheet I gotta say

SU-WOOP
20-04-2012, 03:17 AM
bite the bullet, buy expensive,cry once, buy cheap,cry all the time
springs are a quick fix and u stuck with that height
coilovers on the other hand can be adjusted to compensate for fat chicks bigger wheels different offset and clearance
my nan haz coilovers in her daily just drop the spring rate to oem and put the damper on soft ud rather fit it and forget then fit it and regret

curtis265
20-04-2012, 10:25 AM
bite the bullet, buy expensive,cry once, buy cheap,cry all the time
springs are a quick fix and u stuck with that height
coilovers on the other hand can be adjusted to compensate for fat chicks bigger wheels different offset and clearance
my nan haz coilovers in her daily just drop the spring rate to oem and put the damper on soft ud rather fit it and forget then fit it and regret

maate

read the thread

hitoriko
20-04-2012, 12:24 PM
http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/m/mtPNG0Dtzeany6hrVHOoaBw/140.jpg
im getting these for my CRX i think its a good middle ground for Daily & the odd track day.

i would try fid something like this OP

IDV8
20-04-2012, 02:34 PM
I found a local mechanic, specialize in mainly performance Honda's - quite a few modded cars there. I asked him if I'd be better off spending $1400 on coilovers etc or just get King Springs and drop it an inch or so, he was all for just new springs. Pretty much just said it'll handle a lot better, look better and since I'm not using it for track or anything theres no point shelling out that amount for coilovers. These guys know what they're talking about, unfortunately I forgot most of what he said but I went in with 1 or 2 questions when they helped me fix something with my Teg and it turned into a 15min convo so I'm still on the fence, we'll see.

curtis265
20-04-2012, 02:35 PM
i say decent branded springs,

or better still, lower it on shocks

DC2-PWR
20-04-2012, 02:56 PM
I found a local mechanic, specialize in mainly performance Honda's - quite a few modded cars there. I asked him if I'd be better off spending $1400 on coilovers etc or just get King Springs and drop it an inch or so, he was all for just new springs. Pretty much just said it'll handle a lot better, look better and since I'm not using it for track or anything theres no point shelling out that amount for coilovers. These guys know what they're talking about, unfortunately I forgot most of what he said but I went in with 1 or 2 questions when they helped me fix something with my Teg and it turned into a 15min convo so I'm still on the fence, we'll see.

In summary this is what your wrote.

They specialize mainly in Honda's... quite few modded cars.. $1400 coilovers vs King springs... King springs win, because they handle better.. look better.. and they know what they're talking about

:thumbdwn:

newpaddy3
20-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Don't get full on coil overs if you're just driving it on the street all the time, or if you don't want to go crazy low.

I have spoon springs a dampers.

Just get decent springs, kings sag all the time and really don't offer a performance upgrade (slightly stiffer than stock, not really worth it).

I would recommend getting spoon springs, they are fantastic.

Great for daily driving. They are kinda stiff, you do bounce around in the car on the more bumpy roads, but that's part of the fun.

DC2-PWR
20-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Don't get full on coil overs if you're just driving it on the street all the time, or if you don't want to go crazy low.

I have spoon springs a dampers.

Just get decent springs, kings sag all the time and really don't offer a performance upgrade (slightly stiffer than stock, not really worth it).

I would recommend getting spoon springs, they are fantastic.

Great for daily driving. They are kinda stiff, you do bounce around in the car on the more bumpy roads, but that's part of the fun.

+1 for spoon springs, ride height is also perfect!!

senna
20-04-2012, 03:01 PM
In summary this is what your wrote.

They specialize mainly in Honda's... quite few modded cars.. $1400 coilovers vs King springs... King springs win, because they handle better.. look better.. and they know what they're talking about

can i say, BULLSHIT

sorry but i can't help it because right people read your post and learn crap that "oh king springs are better because his mechanic said so".

:thumbdwn:

Context is whats required here....

"I wanna lower my car an inch, i don't track it and i'm not really keen on spending heaps of money"

"OK, just put springs in it then"

DC2-PWR
20-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Context is whats required here....

"I wanna lower my car an inch, i don't track it and i'm not really keen on spending heaps of money"

"OK, just put springs in it then"

That sounds better now :thumbsup:

IDV8
20-04-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm just saying what I was told by a mechanic, relax yourself you'll live longer :cool:

butterfingers
20-04-2012, 04:07 PM
get coilovers for the baller factor. flatter your vanity knowing you have $8000 ohlins coils shipped straight from japan

EKVTIR-T
20-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Apparently the jdm Ohlins are made under license and inferior to the swedish Ohlins.

I find it hard to believe that jdm can be inferior to anything

Grady93
26-09-2012, 03:51 PM
im in the same situation, undecided about coilovers due to the uncomfort, its a daily and will never see a track - maybe for laughs..

but anyway, im running standard suspension in my eg sedan, shocks are probably gone and spings are probably sagged, but looking for an upgrade..

one issue i have is the car scrapes on everything when someone is in the back, i have 17's on and want to stop the scrubbing - main reason for an upgrade.

whats your thoughts of coilover sleeves? same price as new lowered springs and with the sleeves i get to adjust the height

aaronng
26-09-2012, 04:04 PM
im in the same situation, undecided about coilovers due to the uncomfort, its a daily and will never see a track - maybe for laughs..

but anyway, im running standard suspension in my eg sedan, shocks are probably gone and spings are probably sagged, but looking for an upgrade..

one issue i have is the car scrapes on everything when someone is in the back, i have 17's on and want to stop the scrubbing - main reason for an upgrade.

whats your thoughts of coilover sleeves? same price as new lowered springs and with the sleeves i get to adjust the height

You'll have the same problems. Do it right this time, you can use your current lowered springs but you need shocks which match the lowered travel range. Coilover sleeves are crap in my opinion.

Grady93
26-09-2012, 04:10 PM
im not running lowered anything lol, all standard..

what do you rekon i do?

blabla
26-09-2012, 04:22 PM
http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/m/mtPNG0Dtzeany6hrVHOoaBw/140.jpg
im getting these for my CRX i think its a good middle ground for Daily & the odd track day.

i would try fid something like this OP

Crap! I had that in my ej8 coupe drove like shit put into my brother's DA9 worked a treat in the da9. ! I reverted to coilover a million times better! GAB's SS all the way!9

curtis265
26-09-2012, 04:35 PM
aaronng what's wrong with coilover sleeves?

TbM
26-09-2012, 04:42 PM
^^^^ +1

im interested to know why you think they are crap. Im using koni yellows with GC sleeves and they are great imo.

PHO
26-09-2012, 04:44 PM
because jdm okay?

blabla
26-09-2012, 05:34 PM
^^^^ +1

im interested to know why you think they are crap. Im using koni yellows with GC sleeves and they are great imo.

KONI YELLOW there is the first reason. GC kit is better.

aaronng
26-09-2012, 05:44 PM
im not running lowered anything lol, all standard..

what do you rekon i do?

Get good lowered springs and a shock that suits the travel range. In the Accord Euro section, we like Eibach lowered springs with either Koni Yellows or Bilstein shocks, which gives handling on the street as good as coilovers but with far far superior comfort but no height adjustment. Not sure about EGs, but there should be similar equivalents out there for much less money than Eibach/Bilsteins.