PDA

View Full Version : QLD Random new P Plate law

Dubstein
31-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Recently there was a write up in our local newspaper about the location of 'P & L plates' on vehicles.. Local police are pulling over people that have the plates located or stuck inside the cars rear/front windows, even if they are fully visible..

Apparently the plates HAVE to be magnetized ones stuck the the front and rear of the cars body. The first time you get pulled up for this 'infraction', police let you off but tell you to go get the magnet ones and place them in the 'right spot'. Now if you get pulled up for a second time, i have heard there is a fine of $300 or so and 3 points... Ridiculous..

A few people i know have already been talked to once by authorities and have to change the location of plates..

Anywhere else like this? Its just silly because a local Police officer actually WROTE into the newspaper, they published it and then is suddenly a legal law. D:

chunky
31-01-2012, 08:07 PM
i think in nsw you cant display it inside either
has to be on the outside and fully visible, so you might need to get a bracket or the magnetic ones

Dubstein
31-01-2012, 08:10 PM
i think in nsw you cant display it inside either
has to be on the outside and fully visible, so you might need to get a bracket or the magnetic ones

True? Is that the law for all of NSW though? :/ Just strange how only this town has it.. And why the consequences are so large.

rubixcube
31-01-2012, 08:25 PM
this is blatantly not true. if you get done for it, take it to court immediately.

steeeven
31-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Where abouts are you located? This law has been in effect for ages in NSW.

rubixcube
31-01-2012, 08:54 PM
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Getting-a-licence/Car-licence/Provisional-licence/Displaying-P-plates.aspx

A P-plate is a plate that features an uppercase red letter 'P' or an uppercase green letter 'P' on a white background. You can buy P-plates from service stations, major retailers and automotive outlets. Check with your local supplier for cost.
You can also download and print a red P-plates (PDF, 21.7 KB) or a green P-plates (PDF, 21.8 KB). When printing the P-plate template use a colour printer, white A4 paper or card and ensure the page scaling is set to 'None'.
The minimum size and colour of a P-plate is 14.6 cm x 14.6 cm. The P-plate may be larger than the minimum size requirement of 14.6 cm x 14.6 cm but not so large that it will obscure your view when driving.

If you can print your own P-plates on paper from the QT website, then they cannot expect you to put them on the outside of your vehicle at all times - otherwise they wouldn't even offer you this option.

Dubstein
31-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Where abouts are you located? This law has been in effect for ages in NSW.

Im in Atherton, up north..

Dubstein
31-01-2012, 08:59 PM
If you can print your own P-plates on paper from the QT website, then they cannot expect you to put them on the outside of your vehicle at all times - otherwise they wouldn't even offer you this option.

Thanks for this.. handy evidence if someone or myself get pulled up..

rubixcube
31-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks for this.. handy evidence if someone or myself get pulled up..

no probs mate, just print that whole page from QT website and carry it with you. the only things it says is "musnt block your vision" and has to be visible from x angle at 20 metres. a p plate in the upper left corner of a windshield certainly doesn't block your vision.

Lazarus
31-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Yeah NSW implemented that law around 2007 that L's and P's must be on the outside.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/gettingalicence/200707_restrictions.html

Changes to the display of L and P plates on vehicles.
L or P plates may no longer be displayed from inside your vehicle. All learner and provisional drivers must clearly display their L and P plates on the front and back of the outside of the vehicle. The letters L and P on the plate must not be hidden. The penalty for incorrectly displayed plates is two demerit points and a fine.

Dubstein
31-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Well that is my front..

http://i.imgur.com/3mMsr.jpg

I think i'll have a few troubles with the rear.. (Tinted)

http://i.imgur.com/xfSzq.jpg

Dubstein
31-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Yeah NSW implemented that law around 2007 that L's and P's must be on the outside.

Well until i see that in implemented into QLD Legitimately.. im not following it.

rubixcube
31-01-2012, 09:11 PM
put your front one on the top left corner, above the sticker - as long as it isnt at too much of an angle to see it

Dubstein
31-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Sounds good man, ill print those pages off too. Might give to a few other plater friends and give them the rundown.

steeeven
31-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Well until i see that in implemented into QLD Legitimately.. im not following it.

Personally I'd run P plates outside on the back of the car and on the inside out front. Just so cops don't find an excuse to fine you for not seeing it clearly.

rubixcube
31-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Personally I'd run P plates outside on the back of the car and on the inside out front. Just so cops don't find an excuse to fine you for not seeing it clearly.

yes, outside if you have a tinted rear window

TyD
31-01-2012, 09:52 PM
I got introuble for mine being tucked half under my dash in the corner, just explained that I just bought the car that day and I hadn't had time to fix them up.

I now run mine zip tied onto my number plates, looks cleaner and easier than having them fall down on you and getting in shit.

Grayfox
01-02-2012, 12:49 PM
This is law in NSW and has been for a while.

Even when it was law I Kept on had them on the inside and I tried magentic ones and they just blew off the front and their was no where to put it on the rear.

khanguskhan
01-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Thank god Melbourne is free of that law, I have some friends in Sydney that saw my plates, the perforated ones that you just stick on and stays for ages. They wanted to use those but couldn't because of how you gotta display your plates.

At the same time they get their plates stolen on a monthly basis. Maybe the government should start a system where they send you new replacements every month cause it adds up to alot of money when it's sold at 5+ bucks a set.

chunky
01-02-2012, 02:34 PM
^i think thats what they want lol

steeeven
01-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Thank god Melbourne is free of that law, I have some friends in Sydney that saw my plates, the perforated ones that you just stick on and stays for ages. They wanted to use those but couldn't because of how you gotta display your plates.

At the same time they get their plates stolen on a monthly basis. Maybe the government should start a system where they send you new replacements every month cause it adds up to alot of money when it's sold at 5+ bucks a set.

In Sydney you can get free P plates from the RTA.

khanguskhan
01-02-2012, 08:16 PM
In Sydney you can get free P plates from the RTA.

You serious? Better start spreading that news.

Dubstein
01-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Friend just told me a few people in a nearby town have been fined and 2 demerit points deducted. How are they alowing these fines if its not even a official QLD Goverment law? Last time i check a police officer cannot just make up a random laws..

steeeven
01-02-2012, 09:33 PM
You serious? Better start spreading that news.

Not sure if serious? haha

Lazarus
01-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Well..if they pull you over and you feel that you have a valid argument...just print this out and show them...(found it for yas)

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Getting-a-licence/Car-licence/Provisional-licence/Displaying-P-plates.aspx

How the plate must be fitted

A P-plate must be fitted:

to the front and rear of the car (rear only for motorbikes)
so the 'P' character is visible on each plate from 20 metres (m) away at any point within an arc of 45 degrees from the surface of each 'P' plate above or to either side of the car or motorbike.

You're welcome =P

khanguskhan
02-02-2012, 01:48 AM
Not sure if serious? haha
Yea I am lol, didn't know RTA handed them out, my friends have always been buying them every time they get racked.

CrystalSkull
04-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Get some brackets that hold P plates, attach the brackets to your rego plates, insert the P plates and zip tie them on. Problem solved your plates are visible, legal and they won't fall off. :)

CivicEGSI
04-04-2012, 02:50 PM
friend just told me a few people in a nearby town have been fined and 2 demerit points deducted. How are they alowing these fines if its not even a official qld goverment law? Last time i check a police officer cannot just make up a random laws..

what uganda do about it ?

grifty
06-04-2012, 08:46 PM
revive a 2 month old thread to post that ^^^?