PDA

View Full Version : coilover spring rates

cihanvtec
31-01-2012, 10:58 PM
hey guys, found some really cheap coilovers. theyre drag coilovers. the front spring rate is 12kg and rear is 18. how would this handle as a daily driver. i understand it is fairly stiff, but would it be bearable? also, how would it handle on a track, or around corners?

also what makes the drag coilovers different? is it just the fact that they are only height adjustable and not damper? anything else?

thanks guys.

EKVTIR-T
31-01-2012, 11:02 PM
18kg'mm is too hard for a daily

I wouldnt advise it

trism
31-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Lol. 18 and 12?

I ran 8 and 6 daily, and that was about as stiff as I'd go.

As for them being drag spec, its the way they are valved.

The fronts will have soft damper and stiff rebound, and the rears will have stiff damper and soft rebound.

This is so on launch the car doesn't lean backwards heaps, and it keeps the front wheels firm down for traction.

I wouldn't do it.

cihanvtec
01-02-2012, 12:18 AM
hmmm fair enough.. is it dangerous in anyway for daily driving/spirited driving? as in would it cause the car to slide out around corners because its so stiff?

EKVTIR-T
01-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Yes it will cause you to lose contact with the road on uneven surfaces and dips which our roads are full of.

Also running a high rate rear spring in a light fwd will end up giving you head and back aches. Believe me Ive used them lol

vtecing
01-02-2012, 04:24 AM
Very unsafe for any public roads over 60km/h, even 8 & 6 can be dangerous on the touge due to uneven lumpy roads etc. race coilovers really are intended for track only use because race tracks are a lot smoother and are constructed in a way to allow safe fast driving, among other aspects. Even the tarmac mix they use is completely different

More specifically to your quiry the drag coilovers are designed for forward -> rear weight distribution which is completely different from circuit/street weight distribution

u mad?
01-02-2012, 05:36 AM
that would be quite an oversteery setup

add 32mm rsb for maximum drift spec fwd.

senna
01-02-2012, 08:14 AM
What these guys said ^^^^

lil_foy
01-02-2012, 08:17 AM
18kg'mm is too hard for a daily

I wouldnt advise it

Personally I think it'd be bearable, pending person.
I'm running 16/12 in my weekend car but I dailyed it for 3 weeks straight zero problems while my real daily was off the road. Damper quality will make a huge difference in ride quality.

In saying that I wouldn't run cheap suspension anyways, spend the extra bit and get the benefits of quality suspension all around.

u mad?
01-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Personally I think it'd be bearable, pending person.
I'm running 16/12 in my weekend car but I dailyed it for 3 weeks straight zero problems while my real daily was off the road. Damper quality will make a huge difference in ride quality.

In saying that I wouldn't run cheap suspension anyways, spend the extra bit and get the benefits of quality suspension all around.

are you using an aftermarket rsb with them coilovers?

lil_foy
01-02-2012, 08:28 AM
are you using an aftermarket rsb with them coilovers?

Asr+dc2r rsb, and I have a complete hardrace bushing kit in the car.

cihanvtec
03-02-2012, 08:27 PM
installed the coilovers today and i must say, WOW!!! i absolutely love it! its not as hard as you expect! it feels nice and firm! very sporty and handles like its on rails! its goes into tripod mode when i really fang it around a corner :D. and gets a tiny bit of oversteer. but thats when im really pushing it. (all this driving was done off road mind you, didnt want to test it on the road after some guys on here told me it could be dangerous!)

i honestly have to say, compared to my mates bc br coils, it handles absolutely amazing. and yes it is a little bumpy, but very bareable. best 900 bux spent! id highly recommend!!!

senna
04-02-2012, 02:44 PM
I guess you haven't driven it in the wet and on rough roads yet then! Take it easy with that set-up mate :thumbsup:

trism
04-02-2012, 03:03 PM
^^^ x2

i thought the same thing about my old coilovers, but i got over them pretty quick, and they were only 8/6

cihanvtec
04-02-2012, 05:39 PM
hmm yeah i havent driven them in the wet yet. if 8/6 was giving you trouble, what are you supposed to use? i hadnt considered my setup in the wet. its got me thinking now. i may hve to change my rear springs to something with a lower spring rate then..

stndrd
05-02-2012, 02:11 PM
which in turn may require you to re-valve the rear shocks to suit. look into it a bit more first

marquee
05-02-2012, 02:19 PM
I had 8/6 on my euro and it would be as hard as i go

midnightdood
07-02-2012, 01:18 AM
I'm with 8 and 6 in a DC2r (not track driven).... on public roads - its as high as rate as i would have.

nguyenimproved
14-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Say I were to go buy a pair of Cusco Zero2 Coilovers 13F 9R (This is for a stanced set up), if I put the damper to the softest setting, what will change? (besides the ride comfort obviously) Like will suspension travel be different ect.

Reason is I don't want anything scrubbing as soon as I go over some bump.

stndrd
14-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Suspension travel will not be effected by changing dampening settings, tho 13/9 will be uber stiff and even on damper on the softest, will become uncomfortable for a daily. What car are the Zero2's getting fitted to?

nguyenimproved
15-02-2012, 12:05 AM
Ek. What spring rates will be good for a car this light, so that my rims/tyres dont destroy my guards going over a bump.

lil_foy
15-02-2012, 06:15 AM
Suspension travel will not be effected by changing dampening settings, tho 13/9 will be uber stiff and even on damper on the softest, will become uncomfortable for a daily. What car are the Zero2's getting fitted to?

Sigh, 13/9 is not that overly stiff, provided you have a quality damper it will be fine, firm but fine.
As ive stated before in this thread, I run 16/12 on a <1000kg car and it is fine.

u mad?
15-02-2012, 06:27 AM
yeah i run 8k 12k toda's and they're fine for daily. Firm yes, but not bone jarring or crashy, even on the uper end of the damper settings.

nguyenimproved
15-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Thanks guys.