PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Management Help

barefootbonzai
24-02-2005, 09:53 PM
Hi All,

I'm about to start my turbo project. My kit just arrived at my house today and it looks great. Before i start wacking it in, just wanna ask as question about fuel management. The kit comes with a FMU but my car already has an Apexi V-AFC. Question is, is the Apexi V-AFC enough or should I still install the FMU aswell and just use the V-AFC for tunning. Will probably start putting in my kit this weekend or next.

shecomb
25-02-2005, 08:16 AM
FMU are shit. Don't use them. Why do you see the Yanks blowing up motors all the time? Because they use an FMU. There unpredictable

Just get an aftermarket computer NOW and a fuel reg so you don't have the problems. It will save you money in the long term ie. Rebuilds....

barefootbonzai
25-02-2005, 09:42 AM
If that's the go. What aftermarket computer should i be looking at? So the V-AFC isn't enough? Please explain

Weq
25-02-2005, 11:07 AM
If that's the go. What aftermarket computer should i be looking at? So the V-AFC isn't enough? Please explain

search 'the hack'. on honda-tech. its using the vafc to scale down fuel injectors. u'll need a set of 440cc injectors atleast though.... other cheap options include the e-manage, unichip. u dont need a standalone for a stock engine IMO. waste of money.

as for the FMU, it adds fuel by increaseing fuel pressure per pound of boost. its a cheap solution, i would only run one upto 5psi max. it isnt preciese at all, but i dont think they are unpredictable (unless ur fuelpump cant handle it)

BUUUTT u should of researched this before u bought ur turbo kit.
low boost on a stock engine is fun, but you have to be aware of the basic functions/products of running it./

shecomb
25-02-2005, 12:02 PM
What are you planning to do about your MAP sensor?

barefootbonzai
25-02-2005, 01:16 PM
I'll read into this hack thing a little more. Stick with me fellas, will be needing a lot more of your help.

barefootbonzai
25-02-2005, 03:08 PM
Finished reading the hack method, it's sick. Thanks Weq, this is awsome. Can't wait!!!! Your my idol mate ;) My inspiration for the DIY turbo.

Weq
25-02-2005, 04:25 PM
What are you planning to do about your MAP sensor?

stock is fine

poid
25-02-2005, 04:31 PM
remember that using a VAFC advances timing under boost

Jomsy
25-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Sorry to be off topic a bit, but what sort of kit you using

creativepunka
25-02-2005, 06:49 PM
remember that using a VAFC advances timing under boost

And how would one stop this?

poid
25-02-2005, 07:09 PM
well the easiest way is to avoid the hack :lol:

otherwise, something like an MSD BTM that can retard timing per psi of boost...but by the time you've bought one of those and a VAFC you may as well go with a standalone

A lot of people have used the VAFC successfully, i just think its still too hit n miss

creativepunka
26-02-2005, 09:36 AM
So whats every one do who uses the hack but not the msd btm? Just retard the timing 3 degrees??

Weq
26-02-2005, 09:51 AM
alot of ppl, nothing... just run good octane. or retard at the dist. its a small price to pay (or nor pay). the closer u run to 10psi, the less timing advance there is.

creativepunka
26-02-2005, 02:42 PM
alot of ppl, nothing... just run good octane. or retard at the dist. its a small price to pay (or nor pay). the closer u run to 10psi, the less timing advance there is.

well i run 95 or 98 when i can get it. How much should i retard it at the dizzy?? And when i do that i have to put the compter in learn mode dont I?
I thort the closer to 10 psi the more advance? thanks guys this is a good thread.

barefootbonzai
26-02-2005, 03:03 PM
So from my understanding so for is get some 440CC injectors, set my VAFC to -40% and i'm good to go?

Another question is what injectors should i get? I just went to auto barn and prices range from $50 to $200 each. Does the quality difference matter that much?

And if i run high octane fuel eg 98 there's no need for me to do anything else for the time being?

And should I regap my sparkplugs? I've got iridiums by the way.

pgclee
27-02-2005, 12:59 AM
Dude, if you don't wanna risk of Blowing up your engine, get an ECU and tune it..But if you have the money to go thru all those Hassle, blowing up a few engines, then be it...hehe...getting abit more money out to get an ECU is better than you spend a few more Grand getting another engine mate...

pgclee
27-02-2005, 01:01 AM
To tune the car, pay the Tuners and do it...let the pro's decide what kinda setup shall be...u have less hassle and you're in safe hand as well...Hehe...

barefootbonzai
28-02-2005, 09:44 AM
Why do you say that pgclee? Is this from experience? So your advice to me is to just take my car to a pro, leave it there and let them decide what i should do with my car then just pay them the money. What are the chances of my engine blowing by using the AFC hack method?