PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Jazz GLI GD used- opinions?

PaddleFaster
01-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Hi everyone!

I've been searching for a car for a while and noticed this Jazz with approximately 96 000 kms on it. I hear stories about the CVT needing replacement around this mileage but the comment on the posting says "It is a lovely drive and has an auto transmission which is amazingly smooth automatic and the engine is very quiet and reliable". So I'm curious about that.

Also, the Asking price for it is 8700 and with a car that's dated around 9 years old, I'm wondering what are your opinions on the reliability of the CVT transmission at this age.

I'm not a very knowledgeable person about cars in general and hoping that you could share some of your experiences with me :)

Thanks guys!

Artie
01-02-2012, 09:50 AM
The transmission shudder doesn't occur with all auto Jazz's although it is an extremely common fault. It is highly likely that it would have occured before 96,000 kms if it was going to occur at all but that is certainly no guarantee that you won't get problems with it in the future.

I would be insisting on a comprehensive documented service history so that you can determine how often the transmission fluid has been changed and whether or not the car has been back to Honda for the issue to be looked at. It would also be worth asking at a Honda dealer for their service records of that particular car. The automatic transmission fluid is not due for a change until 4 years or 80,000km so if it has been done more often than that, it would be a good indication that you shoud ask why and do further investigations.

Personally, I would opt for a manual GD Jazz over an auto due to this issue alone. However, I am more than happy to be changing gears myself and I realise that this may not be the case for you.

At todays prices $8,700 seems like a reasonable asking price for those km's. I wouldn't say it's a bargain but if the overall condition is very good the price seems fair. You should probably expect some significant further depreciation over the next 3 to 5 years as the GD models pass the 10 year mark and start to look dated. Also, as the average GD kms heads towards 200,000 this will affect GD Jazz values overall. I would predict that you will see GD Jazz prices drop by about 30% over the next 3 years. Of course, DY Mazda 2 and Toyota Echo prices will also drop but Toyota Yaris prices may hold a little longer.

Good luck
Artie

PaddleFaster
01-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Hi Artie!

Thank you for your in-depth explanation, I'll definitely be taking a closer look at those service histories. I'm not too fussed about the depreciation since I tend to get attached to my cars and keep them for as long as I can :)

I would also prefer driving with a manual but I'm currently still on my probationary license which is an automatic license. My previous car was stolen so that's why I'm in the market for a new buddy. I'm actually pretty excited about the car and would probably invest some money into preventative avenues to increase it's lifespan.

I live in Melbourne and am planning to having Stateroads do a comprehensive inspection on it, especially the transmission. However with your suggestion, I believe that looking at the Honda servicing history is a much better and cost effective path.

Thank you Artie!