PDA

View Full Version : EM1 Clutch slipping

akira
01-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Hey guys,

I got a exedy HD racing clutch and spoon flywheel installed into my em1 about 2 1/2 years now and travelled 40,000kms. I was just told by my mechanic that the clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced very soon.

Is that possible? Can the clutch be worn out after only 40,000kms of driving?

seihoa
01-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Yes, change the way u drive.

Riced_Civic
01-02-2012, 02:57 PM
yes it can be possible, its all about how you drive.

akira
01-02-2012, 02:58 PM
so im assuming some city driving will do this easily to your clutch right? Is there a need for me to change the flywheel as well?

Mikecivic78
01-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Hey guys,

I got a exedy HD racing clutch and spoon flywheel installed into my em1 about 2 1/2 years now and travelled 40,000kms. I was just told by my mechanic that the clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced very soon.

Is that possible? Can the clutch be worn out after only 40,000kms of driving?

Flogging it on big launches can do that I guess, but wtf?

How much power u making at the wheels?

If it's pretty stock and N/A, you must have been absolutely brutal on the car to fark it in that short a timespan.

Aleksa
01-02-2012, 04:40 PM
check the flywheel for warping, missing teeth, etc. You don't always have to change it but if it's damaged you should. Your mechanic should be able to tell you if it's good or not...

akira
02-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Flogging it on big launches can do that I guess, but wtf?

How much power u making at the wheels?

If it's pretty stock and N/A, you must have been absolutely brutal on the car to fark it in that short a timespan.

Its pretty much stock N/A

akira
02-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Could it have anything to do with the person who installed it? dodgy?

reason being is it was done at a garage/mechanic but i cant get a hold of that person as he went overseas

bennjamin
02-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Could it have anything to do with the person who installed it? dodgy?

reason being is it was done at a garage/mechanic but i cant get a hold of that person as he went overseas

Mate

If it was dodgy or bad workmanship it wouldn't last a few hundred kms without something failing or falling off etc. If something was loose or too tight ( pressure plate etc) there would be a dramatic failure very soon after installing.

I think your car has just had some bad driving. Too much slip on hills or stop-start driving etc.

My old car has a exedy organic clutch , and after a dozen 1/4 mile runs , a few days at the race
Track and a lot of hooning around the new owner assures me it's like new. About 40-50,000kms I'd say.

IV73CI
02-02-2012, 02:09 PM
so im assuming some city driving will do this easily to your clutch right? Is there a need for me to change the flywheel as well?

Yes city driving especially in heavy traffic - your always on the pedals. so Stop / GO / Stop / GO ...riding the clutch will definitely wear out the clutch disc.

And the obvious style of driving ... ripping vtakk all the time and dumping the clutch etc.

You dont need to replace the Flywheel ....just get it machined ($25-50).

40thou clicks on your clutch seems reasonable .. and generally can last anywhere from 1-3years depending on the style of driving.

i have a Exedy Stage 2 hybrid clutch on my fozzy sti..and its still going great for like 4yrs now... even when i flog it here and there....

so when u get your new clutch in ...and u want it to last ...take it easy on crazy vtakks and smokin tyres :)

also ..make sure they replace the thrust/spiggot bearings when you get it replaced. Others dont replace it and re-use the fcker and after 1month you get bearing noises and a fcked up clutch pedal/gear crunching feel :(

senna
02-02-2012, 02:15 PM
This can happen if you rest your foot on the clutch pedal too - sounds stupid but i've seen heaps of people do it, a small amount of pressure on the pedal can cause the clutch to wear out early...

trism
02-02-2012, 02:30 PM
^^^ especially if the car doesnt have a dead pedal. I know i do it in the work car without even thinking.

IV73CI
02-02-2012, 05:55 PM
^^^ especially if the car doesnt have a dead pedal. I know i do it in the work car without even thinking.

x3 ...i do this too ..but i have a lil bit of freeplay on the pedal which is my resting pressure.. LOL.

just granny shift and disconnect the VTEC solenoid harness plug .. this will keep vtec out of the question .. LOL

dc292177917
06-02-2012, 03:53 PM
when i got my car
the clutch was believed to be original from 1993
it had 180000km on and still grabbing lol

akira
07-02-2012, 07:44 AM
when i got my car
the clutch was believed to be original from 1993
it had 180000km on and still grabbing lol

haha no way!

Mikecivic78
07-02-2012, 09:36 AM
haha no way!

yes way

its about average there. My EM1 had 203,000km and original clutch still going strong

if you take care of your car, it'll take care of you.

Drifter995
07-02-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm on 160~ thou in my 77 civic. Second clutch, but only because we bought it off an old man who only drove it sundays, and then it went through two l platers. Pre-sure it's getting close to needing a third.. but probably not for a while, think I still have some headspace. I was one of those under revving l platers as opposed to an over revving one lol.

kraiye
07-02-2012, 12:49 PM
agree with bennjamin. I had single plate racing clutch and it was dead in no time :( not good for daily city driver
running exedy organic now and it's great. easy to drive but still launches well and no problems with the power. best value v performance imo but be sure to shop around (for parts AND labour).

akira
03-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Sorry to bring back the old thread guys...

I got exedy sports organic clutch installed and the spoon flywheel machined few months ago. The release point of the clutch is very high, about 3/4 up. Is this normal?

Has anyone experienced this? I got the mechanic to have a look at it again and said that theres nothing wrong with it. he bled the clutch twice and its still pretty high up.