PDA

View Full Version : [VIC] Unregistered BB4

slayer22
06-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Hey guys,

just about to purchase a unregistered BB4, not sure what is the process of getting it registered(kinda, just want to clarify).

I have the previous rego paper from prev owner, copy of drivers license as well as a brief letter saying they've sold the car to me for $x,xxx with VIN & engine number.
No plates came with the car.

I now need to get a RWC and book a appointment so VIC ROADS can confirm engine & chassis number?

RWC items: sunroof rust and new seat belts. 4 new tyres and 1 stock prelude rim required.

cosmetic items. front bumper

costs involved in getting this done (excluding rwc)? rego $600 approx, appointment fees($100 tops), 28 day permit $75approx. new plates to be issued(prefer slimline)?

$875+plates fee + rwc cost?

if anyone can clarify this it will be greatly appreciated :D

sorry if the information is confusing/misleading in any way.

thanks

ng

drsilliez
06-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Buying an Unregistered Car

A vehicle can be sold with or without registration. Buyers of a registered vehicle must lodge an application to transfer the registration within 14 days of the sale. Your responsibilities when buying or selling a vehicle depend on whether the vehicle is registered or unregistered.

Unregistered vehicles
An unregistered vehicle can be sold without a Certificate of Roadworthiness.

Seller’s responsibilities

cancel vehicle registration, remove number plates and return them to VicRoads. Refunds on registration are available if you cancel registration before it expires and the registration was in your name.

Buyer’s responsibilities

ask the seller for a receipt and keep this as proof of purchase and ownership.
get an Unregistered Vehicle Permit (if you want to drive the vehicle home)
register the vehicle (if it will be used for driving on the roads), see: light vehicle registration.

source: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/BuySellTransferVehicles/BuyingSelling/

Moving an unregistered Vehicle

The safest way to legally drive an unregistered vehicle is with an Unregistered Vehicle Permit (UVP).

You can only move an unregistered vehicle on the road when:

driving with an Unregistered Vehicle Permit
driving to VicRoads for a vehicle registration inspection
towing – on a trailer or behind a registered vehicle.

Driving with an Unregistered Vehicle Permit (UVP)
An Unregistered Vehicle Permit allows you to drive an unregistered vehicle with some conditions.

When driving with an unregistered vehicle permit you are covered by the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) charge. This charge pays for treatment and support services for people injured in transport accidents.

For more information and to buy a permit see Unregistered Vehicle Permit.

Driving to VicRoads for a vehicle registration inspection
When driving to VicRoads for a vehicle registration inspection you don’t need a permit but you must:

call us on 13 11 71 for an appointment to get your vehicle inspected
take the most direct route to the VicRoads Customer Service Centre
carry a current roadworthy certificate with you
carry your appointment details with you.

If the vehicle isn’t registered at your appointment, you must purchase an Unregistered Vehicle Permit to drive home legally.

source: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/WhatHasToBeRegistered/HowToRegisterYourVehicle/MovingUnregisteredVehicle.htm

Unregistered Vehicle Permit

How long will my permit last?
Unregistered Vehicle Permits normally last up to 28 days. Permits cannot be extended. If you need more time you must apply for another permit.

How to apply
call us on 13 11 71 (Mon - Fri 8.30am - 5pm, Sat 8.30am - 2pm) Visa & Mastercard only
visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre.

You will need to provide

Personal details

full name and address
your vehicle's garaged address
your telephone number
your fax number (if applying for permit over the phone).

Permit details

reason for the permit
desired start date and time
number of days required.

Vehicle details

make
model
body type
colour
year of manufacture
either the engine, Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or chassis number.

Fees
Fees vary depending on duration, vehicle type and garaged address. The Transport Accident Commission (TAC) charge is included.

There are no concessions available.

source: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/PermitsModificationsAndDefects/UnregisteredVehiclePermit.htm

bleh bleh...

its all on the vicroads website. cost, steps and all!

drsilliez
06-02-2012, 10:10 PM
RWC usually costs around 100 bucks (80-150$) +/- the cost to get it roadworthied if its already not. depends on where u go.

Bloke
09-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Hi ng

I was looking at purchasing from interetate and then registering in Victoria. I emailed VicRoads and they phoned me within a few working days. Because I had detailed my request in an email the person that rang me was well prepared and provided very comprehensive information and also answered questions. I finished the conversation with clear information. So it may be worth an email/phone call if you need to clarify anything that is not clear on their website.

Cheers

JDM EP3
14-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Do they allow you to drive a unregistered vehicle at night with a permit?

chinx_4eva
15-02-2012, 09:19 PM
you have the price already for rego and stuff that you cant change
Vehicle permits depends on how long you need the permit for, maximum i think its for 30 days.. when i last got it, it was around $28 for the first and $2 for everyday after that, not exact figures but it'll give you a margin of where your heading.

RWC is really dependable on where you go, as said anywhere from between $80 - $150 but the more expensive you do should include the double check, some cheap places charge for the second check
personally ill take it to a RWC tester first so you know what problems you have to fix, rather then attempting something yourself.
tyres as well, ill probably just buy a new set of cheap rims from someone with roadworthy tyres, for BB4 stock wheels you can probably pick up new tyres for $70 a piece but you can find bargains for a set of rims and tyres if your lucky, just hunt around ;)
seat belts ill got some pick 'n' pay joint as wreckers are known to charge you $40 or so a piece, so save some extra cash in the pocket
the sunroof is 50/50, if it does show up on the check you'll have to fix
really depends on the level of rust, any bubbles or just surface rust.. if its gone through the metal then worst case you'll need to metal and again thats more money flowing away..

:)