PDA

View Full Version : technical camshaft query

MassiEk4
06-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Hi guys, :wave:

Long story short, I am left with one Buddyclub Spec III+ intake cam.
What I am wondering is that, can the Buddyclub Spec III+ intake cam be used with 2000 ITR exhaust cam????

at 1mm of lift.
Civic Type-R And Integra Type-R(Integra Type R 2000/01 Spec)
Int-243 dur. / 11.5mm lift
Exh-235 dur. / 10.5mm lift

Buddyclub Spec III+
Int-304 dur. / 11.59mm lift
Exh-294 dur. / 10,71mm lift

In my head it should work but with the exhaust cam retarded a little.
What do you guys think???

Thanks.

TODA AU
07-02-2012, 09:46 AM
It'll work no problem,
Also your figures to compare are not quit right.
Your OEM figures are at 1mm lift & the BC figures are advertised.
The actual difference between the cams is not that great.
Moreover, the suggested combination would likely work better than using the pair of BC cams.
Re regarding ex cam, at little, but only a few deg.

MassiEk4
07-02-2012, 10:51 AM
It'll work no problem,
Also your figures to compare are not quit right.
Your OEM figures are at 1mm lift & the BC figures are advertised.
The actual difference between the cams is not that great.
Moreover, the suggested combination would likely work better than using the pair of BC cams.
Re regarding ex cam, at little, but only a few deg.
Thank you for replying. :thumbsup:

VT3C
07-02-2012, 03:32 PM
regardless of the combination, if you're running spec 3 cams of any description, i'd reccomend aftermarket valvesprings and retainers !

MassiEk4
07-02-2012, 06:16 PM
regardless of the combination, if you're running spec 3 cams of any description, i'd reccomend aftermarket valvesprings and retainers !

So true.

TODA AU
07-02-2012, 06:26 PM

BC spec 3's are their entry level cam.
Std type r, they're a drop in.(Std springs)
Dunno why they call them 3's though.

MassiEk4
07-02-2012, 11:42 PM

Also true.
But I think it would be foolish not to upgrade springs and retainers or even valves when upgrading to after market cams; you would want to be able to rev higher than oem red line to make good hourse power, especialy if you are going all motor.

Chr1s
08-02-2012, 06:27 AM

Because the general public thinks they're bigger so they buckle money on them instead of buying the good cams! :)

dougie_504
08-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Also true.
But I think it would be foolish not to upgrade springs and retainers or even valves when upgrading to after market cams; you would want to be able to rev higher than oem red line to make good hourse power, especialy if you are going all motor.

They're not necessary. The new camshaft might not need to rev out to 9,000 to make some kind of power, and even the OEM gear can take a little extra punishment.

Keep your valves OEM.

Chr1s
08-02-2012, 11:07 AM
I fail to understand what you mean by "punishment" on the OEM cam gear?..

dougie_504
08-02-2012, 12:07 PM
You misunderstood me because I wasn't clear. By 'gear' I was just referring to the OEM valvetrain and other parts (IE rods/bolts) which need to be upgraded when considering certain builds.

That is, I was saying that the OEM springs/retainers can take a little more RPM/power than the OEM specifications/limits.

Wasn't referring to the cam gear itself.

Chr1s
08-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Fair enough.. keep an eye on those OEM retainers cracking :secret:

MassiEk4
08-02-2012, 01:53 PM
You guys are all correct, it is true the oem internals can handle a little more abuse than what they are specified for, however that kind of regular abuse will significantly hinder reliability and strength over time. Therefore it is smart to strengthen the weak components of a motor to complement the extra power, because if something is worth doing it is worth doing wright.

Thanks for the input guys.

MassiEk4
08-02-2013, 11:28 PM
Hi guys, I am bringing this back from the dead, as I am going to test the BC spec3+ IN cam with ITR EX cam. Might also order a BC spec 3+ EX cam to compare results, or if anyone is kind enough to let me borrow theirs for an afternoon.
the motor is going to be mildly build with bolt-ons and some custom work like port matching and mild P'n'P.

Just thought this might help someone out there wanting to save bit of money especially if they already have a ITR exhaust cam.

VT3C
08-02-2013, 11:46 PM
Thats interesting Adrian about the spec 3..

Fyi people, its not just the rpm and lift when it comes to the valve spring, the ramp angle of the more aggressive lobes determines the speed/rate that the springs compress regardless of rpm.. this can lead to metal fatigue and can result in float or even failure.

Chr1s
09-02-2013, 07:07 AM
Everything fatigues champ. Regardless how good your design is.

VT3C
09-02-2013, 02:23 PM
:zip: