PDA

View Full Version : Driving tips.

DarkAgent
09-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Hey. Just wanted any tips you guys can give for drivign a DC2R.

I have had mine around 6 months but feel as though my driving is not doing it justice.

I guess the first problem I am having is keeping the car in vtec when changing gears. I have around a 5% success rate of keeping it in VTEC from 2nd to 3rd. I'm changing gears at around 8000 - 8200 RPM, I could probably do the change a bit faster but from seeing other people in vids etc it doesnt seem like I should have to be that fast.

Sometimes when changing, if I dont do it smoothly it feels like the engine kind of bounces a little and the revs really drop.

Any tips you guys have would be appreciated, either for the issue above or just general driving tips.

dougie_504
09-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Shift at 8,500 and be fast about it. Push that clutch pedal hard and full. Accelerator pedal straight back on.

munkaii
10-02-2012, 11:58 AM
I hope you're only doing this on a track of some sort? On the roads, I wouldn't venture near 8500 (cop target/ why would you need that high revs, no more than 2nd gear). Your issue isn't related to VTEC, moreso just a driving style.

1900-hustler
10-02-2012, 12:01 PM
you seriously cant keep in vtec from 2-3?

how slow are you shifting?

srs

u mad?
10-02-2012, 12:17 PM
you seriously cant keep in vtec from 2-3?

how slow are you shifting?

srs

this.

fukin shit driving or what lmao.

just keep practicing.

EKVTIR-T
10-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Look besides all the nonsense the easiest way is to copy this guy in the dc2.

Watch when it shows the in cabin shot and the way he shifts. Its a fast snap just like bam bam..copy this and you'll be fine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKJ3cszKB1A

infurNOS
10-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Look besides all the nonsense the easiest way is to copy this guy in the dc2.

Watch when it shows the in cabin shot and the way he shifts. Its a fast snap just like bam bam..copy this and you'll be fine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKJ3cszKB1A

Im too scared ill hammer the syncros like that, even if the DC2R has double strength ones.

aurnob88
10-02-2012, 12:58 PM
yeah thats seems like pretty harsh shifting

EKVTIR-T
10-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Im too scared ill hammer the syncros like that, even if the DC2R has double strength ones.

Better buy a Camry :)

We're talking about for the purpose of staying in vtec and for drag I assume,not 24-7 or going to Coles..

dougie_504
10-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Better buy a Camry :)

We're talking about for the purpose of staying in vtec and for drag I assume,not 24-7 or going to Coles..

Ye seriously if you wanna have a race and insist on shifting slowing at 8,000rpm you deserve to lose your pink slip bish lol.

Drive it like it was meant to be driven or sell the car to somebody who has the balls to enjoy it.

DarkAgent
10-02-2012, 02:12 PM
The problem has been trying to find the lowest RPM that I can shift at and still remain in VTEC for third. It seems I just got into the habit of shifting at 8000 and the change would sometimes be fast enough to stay in VTEC but most of the time would kind of bounce out of VTEC.

I can just change at 8200-8500, I just thought it would be quicker overall to change at 8000 seeing as though it starts to lose power after this point. Correct me if I'm wrong but if its 141kW @ 7900rpm wouldn't it be optimal to change at around 7900RPM?

u mad?
10-02-2012, 02:41 PM
The problem has been trying to find the lowest RPM that I can shift at and still remain in VTEC for third. It seems I just got into the habit of shifting at 8000 and the change would sometimes be fast enough to stay in VTEC but most of the time would kind of bounce out of VTEC.

I can just change at 8200-8500, I just thought it would be quicker overall to change at 8000 seeing as though it starts to lose power after this point. Correct me if I'm wrong but if its 141kW @ 7900rpm wouldn't it be optimal to change at around 7900RPM?
no. your b18 has a peaky powerband.

shifting at 7900 rpm will cause you to drop out of your powerban when you get to the next gear. its not as if the power immediately drops off after 7900, its still making good power all the way up to 8500.

lmao

dougie_504
10-02-2012, 02:43 PM
But it might maintain that power output, or similar power output, until a bit higher in the RPM.

The main point is that if you drop out of VTEC when you shift up you'll fall straight out of your main powerband. So it's much better to shift higher even if your car doesn't keep making more power, because then in the next gear you'll get power sooner/immediately.

I understand that you want to stay in VTEC but put as minimal stress on your tranny as possible, so try 8,500 or shifting faster. Try a short shifter. Try using something like a VTEC controller to make your VTEC a tiny bit sooner.

dougie_504
10-02-2012, 02:44 PM
no. your b18 has a peaky powerband.

shifting at 7900 rpm will cause you to drop out of your powerban when you get to the next gear. its not as if the power immediately drops off after 7900, its still making good power all the way up to 8500.

lmao

beat me to it :D

1900-hustler
10-02-2012, 03:10 PM

lol if your too scared im sure the guy who owned it before you wasnt

jus sayin

infurNOS
10-02-2012, 03:56 PM
lol if your too scared im sure the guy who owned it before you wasnt

jus sayin

according to him it was babied :P The condition, kms and overall how mechanically sound it is for a 10 YO car proves it :)

Don't worry, i'd like to drive it like i stole it but don't really have the place for it :(

1900-hustler
10-02-2012, 03:58 PM
according to him it was babied :P The condition, kms and overall how mechanically sound it is for a 10 YO car proves it :)

Don't worry, i'd like to drive it like i stole it but don't really have the place for it :(

hehe i babied mine too and mine was A+

as long as its all warmed up and maintaned the ITR loves to be driven hard (on track :p)

simmy
10-02-2012, 05:01 PM
get a vtec controller set it at 3000rpm, das it boy

problem solved

close thread

slingsy
21-02-2012, 06:40 PM
I can shift 2nd to 3rd and keep it in vtec without even glancing at the rpm and I'm not trying to shift as fast as I can either.. it's also about feel, just take the car to the rev cut then work out your shift point, listen to the motor. A nice smooth direct shift is always best, but in saying that keep a decent shift speed. Practice, practice, practice.

ks_87
25-02-2012, 12:55 PM
If you want to have a smooth drive, rev match.. watch where your 3rd gear rev sits at straight after u change gears - try to aim for that rev when u let clutch engage next time u do 2nd to 3rd. (applies to all gears).

If your trying to put the gas back on as soon as possible - shift quick.. if you do it fast enough, you will engage the clutch at a higher rev than the 3rd gear would be at, too slow and your rev will be lower. if you have sudden clutch engagement, both cases will result in jolt in drivetrain

TGW92
25-02-2012, 10:24 PM
hehe i babied mine too and mine was A+

as long as its all warmed up and maintaned the ITR loves to be driven hard (on track :p)

THIS

Never VTEC when cold, if possible allow the car 5 minutes of idling before it goes anywhere. Then take it easy for a while, and then drive it however you like. Don't VTEC everywhere coz that's just unnecessary, but redlining every now and then helps clean injectors and carbon build up in exhaust....

A DC2R has a higher redline than most other cars because it is made to handle it. Getting driving it right may take some time, and it can be more difficult to drive smoothly than a lot of other cars, but just keep trying and you will get there eventually. Practice things like heel toe downshifting to make life a bit easier for your transmission, don't lower vtec (it comes on exactly when it should for a stock dc2r (modified is a different story of course)) and don't try and flat shift every gear or do crazy double clutching because fast and the furious told you to.

Learn to drive more smoothly under casual driving conditions, then try higher rpm and more advanced techniques as you improve.

Bludger
25-02-2012, 10:50 PM
5 minut idle?

YeahByuddy
25-02-2012, 10:55 PM
idling car to warm up not recommend by honda.also idling not good for any engine even type r coz it make incomplete combustion and ruin sparkplug

Bludger
25-02-2012, 10:56 PM
idling car to warm up not recommend by honda.also idling not good for any engine even type r coz it make incomplete combustion and ruin sparkplug

do you warm up your tanks?>

Bludger
25-02-2012, 10:57 PM
or do you start and nek minut start driving.

_bORdO_
26-02-2012, 09:18 AM
5 minut idle?
lol i was thinking that too

DarkAgent
26-02-2012, 05:19 PM
or do you start and nek minut start driving.

Left my Integra outside the dairy...

Indie
27-02-2012, 12:46 PM
This people on this forum have become even more stupid since my last visit.

EKVTIR-T
27-02-2012, 12:49 PM

Hey Indie
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/psychophantomphan/GIFS/tumblr_lyr76fhqjG1qa920yo1_400.gif

u mad?
27-02-2012, 01:02 PM

enjoy mr kelly.

IV73CI
27-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Dont buy those VTEC Controller rubbish .. - it will destroy your heads / engine.

Instead ...if your worried about overshifting or dont know when to shift ..

buy a Shift Light and set it at 8400rpm - this way you have an 100rpm to change into the next gear without overkill.

and if you want to be supercool and know when your in VTEC .. - do a DIY VTEC Dash light indicator.

Basically - run a LED light or use one of your spare T wedge bulbs on your dash and hook up the +pos of the LED/light wire to the VTEC Solenoid and ground the -neg of the LED/light.

So when your in VTEC the LED/Light will light up and bobs your uncle.

Problem solved and closed. :p

+1

EKVTIR-T
27-02-2012, 01:32 PM
May as well wire your high beam to vtec so people move outta the way

IV73CI
27-02-2012, 01:35 PM

ahhaha

lovin it! might try that ..keep em slow ass off my lane!

or hook up an amplified siren screaming VTAKKKKKKK!K!!K!K

inb4delete

kraftycuts
27-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Try powershifting.. Though probably not recommended, but it will definately keep you above 5600PRM

u mad?
27-02-2012, 04:28 PM

lollolol

TGW92
28-02-2012, 08:29 AM

Ahahaha genius!!!!!!!!!

DarkAgent
28-02-2012, 04:07 PM
How do you guys find heel-toe shifting in the DC2R.

I'm fairly tall and when I try rotating my ankle onto the accel pedal my knee hits the steering wheel and I cant get my foot around enough. I have found that I can just use one side of my foot for brake and the other side for accel.

Not sure if all the Australia delivered DC2Rs came with the standard pedals. Seems like the JDM Integras have the alloy style pedals that probably make heel toe easier as the accel pedal has a little bit that juts out.

Bludger
28-02-2012, 04:09 PM
How do you guys find heel-toe shifting in the DC2R.

I'm fairly tall and when I try rotating my ankle onto the accel pedal my knee hits the steering wheel and I cant get my foot around enough. I have found that I can just use one side of my foot for break and the other side for accel.

Not sure if all the Australia delivered DC2Rs came with the standard pedals. Seems like the JDM Integras have the alloy style pedals that probably make heel toe easier as the accel pedal has a little bit that juts out.
don't blame the pedals. lawl, keep practicing. you know the saying about practice.

IV73CI
28-02-2012, 04:26 PM
If ur knee is hitting the bottom steering column.. Just adjust the tilt yo.

Or maybe u sit too close to the steering wheel.

Try sitting abit back more - not low rider styles lol.

If u want i can show u how to drive your dc and u can watch the rpm, gearshifting kills whilst u sit back and enjoy it..

EKVTIR-T
28-02-2012, 04:28 PM
If u want i can show u how to drive your dc and u can watch the rpm, gearshifting kills whilst u sit back and enjoy it..

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/9656/b0ner.jpg

IV73CI
28-02-2012, 04:40 PM
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/9656/b0ner.jpg

Haahah

Possibly by the gforce and not by me.. Lol

rhys.l
28-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Yeah heal toeing in the dc2 is difficult, so it needs practise. I find the accelerator pedal doesn't sit far enough out (i.e. towards the seat). Heal toeing in my mum's corolla is easier lol.

I don't rotate my leg/foot much at all. I just use the side of my foot like you described.

u mad?
28-02-2012, 07:41 PM
im a 6'1 white kunt and i know the feel use are talking about

can only do it whilst under hard breaking where the brake pedal is pushed in a fair bit

i honestly think itd be easier if i had low mount rails.

then again im probably just a shit driver that needs more practice (basically as bludger said).

i dunno lol

mr brightside what about you, u a tall bloke in dc2r, you got plenty of leg room to dance?

Bludger
28-02-2012, 07:42 PM
just for the record, audm dc2r has different accelerator pedal to jdm dc2r.

EKVTIR-T
29-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Good info here guise

rhys.l
29-02-2012, 05:35 PM
What's the difference with the jdm pedal? Is it just a slightly different shape?

I wonder if there are any aftermarket pedals that sit so the brake pedal is further into the footwell and the accelerator pedal further out.

Super-DA9
03-03-2012, 09:18 PM
in terms of heel-toe shifting and leg room issues i know what you mean, 6.3ft here haha.

things like my bride seats (lower seating position) and nardi deep dish steering wheel made a world of difference for a tall guy like me.

although I've had the technique down pretty much since I had my da9 years ago so the leg room was really the only issue.

a great trick to learning the heel and toe shift is to brake late, therefore you must brake very firmly. which means you're toe will be completely steady and pressed on the brake and will be easier to pivot off. just keep that firm toe pressure down on the brake pedal and rotate mostly at your ankle rather then all at your knee.

P.S. i do not reccomend doing this around other cars haha, best to practice at night going into some wide round abouts with lots of all-round vision so you have room for error.

:thumbsup:

u mad?
03-03-2012, 09:23 PM
a great trick to learning the heel and toe shift is to brake late, therefore you must brake very firmly. which means you're toe will be completely steady and pressed on the brake and will be easier to pivot off. just keep that firm toe pressure down on the brake pedal and rotate mostly at your ankle rather then all at your knee.

thats the only way i can do it.

clint how tall are you? ever driven a dc2r?

slingsy
04-03-2012, 12:04 AM
What's the difference with the jdm pedal? Is it just a slightly different shape?

I wonder if there are any aftermarket pedals that sit so the brake pedal is further into the footwell and the accelerator pedal further out.

my audm teg has aluminium pedals is this what you are talking about? I think it was stock on jdm and option on audm.. ?

also when I first got my teg it felt so ****ed to heel toe with such tight foot movement.. then I learnt, now it's natural, it's not necessary to change the pedal position.

rhys.l
04-03-2012, 05:33 PM
I'm not sure, someone said the jdm pedals were different and I was wondering in what way.

I can do it without any problems, but it's certainly not a natural feeling for me in the teg (as it has been in other cars). It requires more effort than I'm willing to expend most of the time, so I'd definitely be keen if there were other pedals out there that appealed more to my lazy side.

DTN
05-03-2012, 01:18 AM
there are 3 types of pedals from honda for the dc2r: the standard black rubber ones, the honda access optional ones (aluminium ones) and the jdm ones.

the honda access one doesnt have those rubber dots on them but has some sort of pattern like this...

http://www.elitejdm.com/productimages/Accessories/Pedals/04700_1b.jpg

maybe get mugen pedals, the accelerator is abit wider than stock so might make heel toeing easier

Bludger
05-03-2012, 10:38 AM
there are 3 types of pedals from honda for the dc2r: the standard black rubber ones, the honda access optional ones (aluminium ones) and the jdm ones.

the honda access one doesnt have those rubber dots on them but has some sort of pattern like this...

http://www.elitejdm.com/productimages/Accessories/Pedals/04700_1b.jpg

maybe get mugen pedals, the accelerator is abit wider than stock so might make heel toeing easier
actually only 2.

Standard black & honda access are the same thing, They just take off the rubber and screw on the alloy backing.

good thing about the honda access is that the left footrest is matching too. 4 piece.

DarkAgent
05-03-2012, 03:59 PM
How hard is it to install these?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OEM-HONDA-INTEGRA-DC2-ITR-TYPE-R-PEDAL-KIT-SET-94-00-/290671343890?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43ad5cb912

Bludger
05-03-2012, 04:04 PM

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OEM-HONDA-INTEGRA-DC2-ITR-TYPE-R-PEDAL-KIT-SET-94-00-/290671343890?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43ad5cb912
how competant are you with tools.

but hey, if you have to ask how hard it is..............

EKVTIR-T
05-03-2012, 04:17 PM

Are you good at yoga or pilates?

Its a pain in the ass working in dat footwell man.Are you asian?

u mad?
05-03-2012, 06:00 PM
protip-take out seat first. kunts fuked trying to get in there

mocchi
05-03-2012, 06:37 PM
protip-take out seat first. kunts fuked trying to get in there

dat real life experience