PDA

View Full Version : changing coilover springs to something stiffer, need to adjust valving?

anzai
09-02-2012, 03:25 PM
hey guys im thinking of getting stiffer springs for my bc coilovers, just wanting to ask a general question

is it necessary to readjust the shock valves to match the new spring rate when changing springs?

i read somewhere that like say when you order a custom spring rate, they need to 'valve' the shocks to match that spring rate

if i dont, would i be potentially shortening the life of the shocks?

cheers

cihanvtec
09-02-2012, 03:58 PM
as a general rule, you should revalve if you make a difference of 4kg to the factory spring rate. so for example, if your going from 6kg to 10kg, you should be fine, anything more and you will need to revalve.

however, ive read somewhere that hks for example, recomend that you dont change the spring rate by anything more than 2kgs on their hypermax series or it will kill the shock.

so id say the best thing would be to contact bc and see what they recomend.
if they think the shock cant handle anything different to what is originally on there, i would revalve them.

good luck.

senna
10-02-2012, 08:13 AM
I wouldn't recommend anything more than a 2kg difference - if you need more than that (for circuit set-up) then i would say you are in need of a better damper set-up rather than just higher spring rates...