PDA

View Full Version : Oil life?

Dogchaser
10-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Gday all,

Just had an interesting conversation.
A workmate has been told by Mobil, that u don't need to change Mobil 1 oil, just change your filter instead.
Another said he has been told the same about Castrol R.
Given all our Honda's liking for quality lube, has anyone else heard anything similar?
I know in my industry oil sampling and regular top ups are the norm, not regular changing.....
But this is new for cars....
Any thoughts?;)

Type R Positive
10-02-2012, 03:58 PM
I'd like to see you change the filter without loosing oil...

My industry is the same, but jet oil is a million times better quality than car oil, and we use thousand plus liters in our tanks. The Honda engine only holds ~5L.

For what an oil test costs, 5 liters of redline or royal purple oil is cheaper. Significantly.

Fredoops
10-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Well in the States the long service engine oils last something like 15,000 miles, or 24,000 km... so yeah, probably dont need to change....

But the filter will choke ya.

curtis265
11-02-2012, 11:22 AM
I've heard you drain the oil, change the filter, then put it back in.. sounds bizarre to me, because you may as well change the oil while you're at it..

Neilz
11-02-2012, 02:29 PM
i have seen they resuse the same oil at a mechanic shop especially when they are returning customers and they know the oil they filled up last will be mobil 1 - they always use new oil trays when they refill the oil... i find this odd but have been told by the mechanic doing the service that its pretty normal practice in new cars as the oil is hardly burnt :\

dougie_504
11-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Just change it it's easy and cheap lol

cris
12-02-2012, 06:47 PM
ive been told the same about mobile one by my partners father who worked for mobile 1 that u can resuse the oil. however for piece of mind and the $90 it cost id prefer to put fresh oil and filter in after 10thou

Fredoops
12-02-2012, 07:40 PM
ive been told the same about mobile one by my partners father who worked for mobile 1 that u can resuse the oil. however for piece of mind and the $90 it cost id prefer to put fresh oil and filter in after 10thou

The weakest link is the filter I was told, so If there are high capacity filters avail then you probably wont need to change the oil for 15-25k km's.

IV73CI
12-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Just read and follow what the honda service manual says regarding vehicle servicing.

Irving
13-02-2012, 02:08 AM
After the 1 year warranty finished, I used Mobil 1 in my 200SX (turbo) for 13 years and did 120,000 kms in that period. I changed the Oil and filter once every year. That’s all I did. The car was driven spiritedly to say the least.
I never had to top up the engine or any other fluids. The engine was like new to drive as it was when the car was new. There were no oil leaks, or oil consumption. What more can I say?
Doing the same with the CU2 and close to 10,0000 miles on the last fill. You also get a smoother revving engine with Mobil 1.

WIL70S
15-02-2012, 01:29 PM
what oil to use for a 2003 euro?

aramou
27-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Gday all,

Just had an interesting conversation.
A workmate has been told by Mobil, that u don't need to change Mobil 1 oil, just change your filter instead.
Another said he has been told the same about Castrol R.
Given all our Honda's liking for quality lube, has anyone else heard anything similar?
I know in my industry oil sampling and regular top ups are the norm, not regular changing.....
But this is new for cars....
Any thoughts?;)

I wouldn't put myself out as an expert but would be a little sceptical. If I followed through with this I would certainly take regular oil tests to ensure my oil wasn't deteriorating and building up contaminants. Have you considered oil analysis?

trism
27-02-2012, 05:06 PM
this whole myth about changing oils every 5k kms is so rubbish.

The quality of oils these days has advanced so much. Why do you think companys like VW, bmw etc can all recomend 15k+ oil change intervals, and still provide a decent factory warranty?

Its because they know the oils are quality stuff.

As long as you read the back of the bottle, and get an oil that meets VW/Mercedes/BMW long life oil standards, you should be good for 15k changes.

As for changing the filter only, you shouldnt really lose that much oil, maybe a couple of hundred milliliters, which you can just top back up .

3RotaRX
27-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Yep you're right Trism, my parents drive an X5 and according to the log books it gets its fluids changed every 20,000KM's.
So relax people, oil lasts a long time nothing to worry about :)

Fredoops
28-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Yep you're right Trism, my parents drive an X5 and according to the log books it gets its fluids changed every 20,000KM's.

Full synthetic oils has nothing to worry about... Your old style semi synthetic or Dino oil still won't last very long.

Also, you'd find a clause in the manual stating if the vehicle is used in severe conditions (ie city start stop/towing etc), you'd adhere to a shorter service interval.

Bludger
28-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Suzuki's advertise they're better than Honda in the respect that they only need to be serviced once a year(15,000km) instead of every 6 months(10,000km).

coming from a reputable mechanic, after about 100,000km's they opened up the suzuki head and found the hydraulic lifters all gummed up & failed.

so yeah, when they say long service intervals, I still wouldn't. Really depends how you drive your vehicle.

If you granny drive, then maybe 15,000km's should be ok, but nah, I'll change my Suzuki's oil every 7500km/

Irving
28-02-2012, 01:57 AM
Absolutely agree that you don’t need to change the oil every 5K or six months (whichever occurs first) LOL....Dealerships and mechanics make more money that way and will love you for it....:zip:

If you are using a good Synthetic oil which meets the recommended viscosity the oil should be good for at least a year. However, if you only do short trips where contaminants such as acids build up without a chance to heat up and burn off then more frequent oil changes may be necessary.

redseven
28-02-2012, 02:10 AM
They specify 5000 km intervals here in China and I've seen a similar interval in Asean countries for Honda and Toyota cars. That's really low if the Honda-spec oil is a synthetic 5W-20. I wouldn't mind a 10,000 km interval because it's easier on the wallet and there's less chance of gunk building up compared to a longer 20k interval.

ChaosMaster
28-02-2012, 08:05 AM
I guess it comes down to conditions. In Europe, it's relatively cold, with snow and all that. And they assume a chunk of your driving is done through cross country. For Australia, there's less cross country, and more desert where it's really hot. Servicing your car every 10 000km is there as a protection, in case your car has had a harder than normal life. My cousin did 40k km without a service in his 07 Accord. It ran low on oil, so we changed it, runs like new since. I mean that is really pushing it (he didn't have time to service his car then, but then again, he drove in relatively cool/easy conditions [6-7am, 9-10pm] and on freeway/cruising type roads).

Also note, Synthetic oils are better quality than Mineral Oils, but they break down much faster. So your fully Synthetic stuff won't last as long as your Semi oils. Again, it depends on several conditions, but 15k km would be as far as I go with your full Syn stuff. Maybe 20k km with the Semi. Then, there's the age of the oil, although I don't think it makes much of a difference.

Fredoops
28-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Also note, Synthetic oils are better quality than Mineral Oils, but they break down much faster. So your fully Synthetic stuff won't last as long as your Semi oils. Again, it depends on several conditions, but 15k km would be as far as I go with your full Syn stuff. Maybe 20k km with the Semi. Then, there's the age of the oil, although I don't think it makes much of a difference.

I dont know where you got that from, maybe Nazi Germany WWII esther based aircraft oil break down faster than dino, but that is simply not the case these days, synthetic oil oxidises at 1/2 the rate of dino/semi-syn oil or less, so that in it self means the oil will hold their conditions longer.

If you browse around www.bobistheoilguy.com you'd see a lot of test results that clearly how the supermacy of synethetic oil in breakdown resistance and longevity compared to semi-synethetic or dino oils.

And the term "Semi-Synthetic" is really a mis-leading term, the usual mix of semi-synthetic oil contains no more than 10% Synthetic oil, so it's still in reality dino oil with anti-oxidants...

trism
28-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Actually, I was talking to the penrite rep about the change of the HPR range from semi to fully synthetic.

They were 90% synthetic, so they just went full.

However, its based on a group 3 oil not a group 4.

white_ep3_civic
29-02-2012, 06:10 AM
My dad's BMW doesn't have a recommended oil change. The computer will tell you when to change it depending how hard you drive the car. I think the longest he went was about 25,000k's

BigBen
03-03-2012, 10:34 AM

The X5 holds 8 litres of oil and the Honda holds 4 litres of oil.

Bludger
03-03-2012, 11:03 AM
The X5 holds 8 litres of oil and the Honda holds 4 litres of oil.
not many are bright enough to realize.

and short drives will kill the oil too.

aaronng
03-03-2012, 11:19 AM
A few years back in the US, BMW recommended a 2 or 3 year old change interval by using a factory filled 100% synthetic oil, the idea being that if you were leasing the car (like many people do over there), you didn't have to bring your car to the dealership for servicing. However, when it comes to the 2nd owner who buys it as an ex-lease car, they found that the engine had sludge buildup. We have to remember, car companies are in the business of selling brand new cars. A long service interval leads to worn engines for the 2nd owner, which the car companies don't care about since they don't offer factory warranty anymore. Any used car warranty is usually provided by the dealer and not by the parent car company.

BigBen
03-03-2012, 11:35 AM
My previous car was a Mazda 3 and exclusively used Amsoil, and changed at every 20,000km. I change the OEM filter every 10,000km. I was averaging about 35,000km-40,000km per year so I was looking for an extended drain oil which Amsoil can deliver. I recently sold the car to my neighours son at 130,000km and still running strong. No sludge or tappet noise from the engine.

I was running a 0w-20 Amsoil oil in the Mazda3 and I will do the same with the Honda.

Fredoops
03-03-2012, 02:27 PM
My previous car was a Mazda 3 and exclusively used Amsoil, and changed at every 20,000km. I change the OEM filter every 10,000km. I was averaging about 35,000km-40,000km per year so I was looking for an extended drain oil which Amsoil can deliver. I recently sold the car to my neighours son at 130,000km and still running strong. No sludge or tappet noise from the engine.

I was running a 0w-20 Amsoil oil in the Mazda3 and I will do the same with the Honda.

Yeah..... Use 0w-30 instead.... Unless you live in Alaska.

BigBen
03-03-2012, 04:47 PM
0w-20 is what is recommended for the Mazda 3 and I think for the Euro as well. I haven't taken delivery yet but that is what the specs are for the Acura TSX.

Fredoops
03-03-2012, 07:27 PM
0w-20 is what is recommended for the Mazda 3 and I think for the Euro as well. I haven't taken delivery yet but that is what the specs are for the Acura TSX.
0w-20 is allowed in the acura tsx but not the accord euro. 30 weight is the minimum.

for good reason too. not many folks at acura forums actually use the 20 weight oil on their tsx's
just sayin.

BigBen
04-03-2012, 08:23 AM
The reason why the 2011+ motors uses 0w-20 oil is to push for better fuel economy and squeeze out a little more HP. Here is the link from Honda themselves. when I get my 2012 in a couple of weeks I can verify this. The older first gen Euro uses a 30 weighted oil.

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=5819-en

Fredoops
04-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Using thinner based oil was Hondas solution to "reduce friction" outlined in their Earth Dream Technology?!?!

...sounds like a bandaid solution to me

Anyway, you'd find the fuel saving between 0w-20 and 0w-30 minimal, because the yard stick used in the CAFE test to compare with the synethetic 0w-20 is conventional 15w-40 or something. And the difference was only 4% odd.

Hardly worth the effort, especially to those of us that drive the car hard anyway.

Edit:
Average tempature also makes a big difference in oil recommendations. For example: a Spanish Toyota Pirus recommands 5w30 to 10w50 weight oil. While in Sweden it recommands 0w-20 to 0w-40. Just because Acura/Honda recommends 20 weight in Japan, Canada and US doesn't mean we should use it here.

Furthermore, synthetic oil in itself already reduces friction over conventional oil, add that to the anti-friction addictives that many oil companies add (mobil 1 ESP, castrol advanced fuel economy etc). I doubt a Honda 0w-20 is going to be any better than a M1 ESP 0w-30.

maclovin
06-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Just found this on ebay. Has anyone purchased from this seller? http://stores.ebay.com.au/GL-Lubricants/Mobil-Products-/_i.html?_fsub=1417179013&_sid=913406203&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Fredoops
06-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Just found this on ebay. Has anyone purchased from this seller? http://stores.ebay.com.au/GL-Lubricants/Mobil-Products-/_i.html?_fsub=1417179013&_sid=913406203&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Yep, several times, he's good, and you can probably pick up goods from his shop is Eastwood sydney

Bludger
06-03-2012, 05:04 PM
excellent, thanks.

Yep, several times, he's good, and you can probably pick up goods from his shop is Eastwood sydney
can you pm me address?

Fredoops
06-03-2012, 05:28 PM
excellent, thanks.

can you pm me address?

Www.gllubricants.com

maclovin
06-03-2012, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the info.

ChaosMaster
15-03-2012, 05:18 PM
CBF starting a new thread, so I'll just hijack this one. Got some RedLine 5w30 oil coming, and stuck between getting an OEM Oil Filter or a K&N Oil Filter. Will there be any benifit? Anyone know where to grab one and for about how much?

trism
15-03-2012, 05:34 PM
just got the oem.

the k&n is good coz it has a nut of the end you can get a socket over to make it easier to take off.

MingZai
15-03-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm currently using Motul 300v