PDA

View Full Version : help: lowering an EK

UW15HN
25-02-2005, 06:05 PM
hey there i plan to lower my 97 EK civic hatch 3" from stock..

i plan to just change to lowered springs and leave the stock shocks..

the shocks are 8 years old and are running fine.. if i change to lowered springs i dont want to change the shocks.. is this possible??

and also anyone know how much it cost to install springs??

thanks

elim
25-02-2005, 06:38 PM
I'm interested in this also. I want to drop it low so that the lip of my guards just meet the lip of my 15 stockies. :D

z3lda
25-02-2005, 06:49 PM
u can get lowerd springs without changin shocks. it'll be fine as i have done the same thing. lowered my car and still have standard shocks.
u should really upgrade shocks when changin springs. cuz the standard shocks werent made for lowered springs.

Astro
25-02-2005, 08:02 PM
I'm interested in this also. I want to drop it low so that the lip of my guards just meet the lip of my 15 stockies. :D

to get that you will need to drop the front like 2.5" and rear would be bout 3"
that is what i did to my civic also running on stock 15s

my springs and shocks and all the rest of the sussy is for sale. let me know if ya interested ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/astro44/ek4a.jpg

nobbs
25-02-2005, 11:01 PM
your shocks should be fine if u only change ur springs, although it is advised to upgrade shocks

on my old car i had a 4inch drop at the front and 3.75 at rear (stock shocks), i drove it like that for 1.5 yrs and never had a problem, its been bout 6 months since i sold it and the new owner has not had any problems either

CIvIc_HatCH
26-02-2005, 11:01 AM
take off ur tyres , and then it will be lowered. if u wanna be totally pimp, take the wheels off to. crazy shiznit huh....

HyperZ
26-02-2005, 01:19 PM
Nice Car, what do you use to wash / polish / wax it with?

Cheers

to get that you will need to drop the front like 2.5" and rear would be bout 3"
that is what i did to my civic also running on stock 15s

my springs and shocks and all the rest of the sussy is for sale. let me know if ya interested ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/astro44/ek4a.jpg

UW15HN
26-02-2005, 05:31 PM
thanks for the help

anybody know how much it will cost to install the springs and where from?

Muckafutha
26-02-2005, 05:40 PM
whereabouts are u? if in melbourne go to suspension city. They can install king springs for 300+ and in half an hour...cash terms of course.

but if u go really low without changing shocks then have to be really careful of potholes and stuff. my stock shocks died after a few big bumps.

UW15HN
26-02-2005, 05:47 PM
im in western sydney..

thanks for the advise

anyone know the cheapest place to install springs in western sydney??
also if they can lip the guards for cheap?

Knyte
26-02-2005, 06:38 PM
it's advise not to use stock shocks. Should get performance shocks when upgrading springs so handling will be better.

CTR Coupe
26-02-2005, 06:43 PM
it's advise not to use stock shocks. Should get performance shocks when upgrading springs so handling will be better.

and the fact that standard shocks will fail on lowered springs. not just a peformace increase but a safety one.

bumpy1
26-02-2005, 07:14 PM
just ask yourself, do you want looks or performance? if you want looks then just dump the car with the stock shockers and if you want performance then change it all! me im more of a looks person.

btw, with my eg hatch that i had, i use to lower my car and put it back to standard all the time (just depends on my mood as it only took me an hour to do) and through out the five years i had the car the stock shocks were still all good. that was running on chopped king springs *not advisable*

good luck with your decision

nobbs
26-02-2005, 07:15 PM
pm sent UWISHN

UW15HN
26-02-2005, 07:37 PM
thanks nobbs i got it

bumpy: yeh im just after looks atm my car is non-vtec and no plans to do engine mods so im keen on installing the springs and not replacing the shocks

jus need to find the cheapest place to get them installed and guards lipped..

thanks

UW15HN
26-02-2005, 07:41 PM
http://tinypic.com/1y1t6v

this is a pic of it.. hopefully it will be lowered 3" .. it needs it

bumpy1
27-02-2005, 05:32 PM
should look sweet after you lower it! i bought my super low kings for 220 and i installed them my self so i saved some money. shouldn't cost u more than 300 all up i reckon. good luck shopping around.

jackosimm
27-02-2005, 06:45 PM
ull have to post some pic's up when its done!!!

LVNIT
27-02-2005, 06:50 PM
I lowered mine over the weekend .. 3" drop rear and about 2.75" on the front

I bought the springs off flipmods *the ones u were after :P*

If you have the tools, i would advise doing it yourself, its not that hard plus you learn something while your doing it. I've driven my car with the drop, its not that bumpy and handles quite nice.

one more chance
27-02-2005, 06:54 PM
if ur lowering ur car anything more then 40mm (1.5"), its highly advisable to change the struts. this is so ur shocks have enough travel space between the bump stops.....
3" on standard shocks is just too much and too dangerous. and i doubt insurance will want anything to do with you!

UW15HN
27-02-2005, 07:01 PM
LVNIT - haha yeh i was going to get flipmods springs but i wasnt sure if i needed to change the shocks and all.. hope your enjoying them :P

jackosimm - yeh man if i get them done

onemorechance - what are struts? how much are they? if i change the struts can i keep my stock shocks?

yeh insurance wont cover my rims anyway im not fussed.. it can easily be changed.. if i have an accident just get the car towed home and return stock parts on it then claim insurance..?