PDA

View Full Version : Modifications, Insurers POV

Levinson Durbin
10-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Hi Gang,

am looking at upgrading the Jazz when it arrives just shortly after. These modifications will be all chassis based (rear swaybar, strut brace etc) to stiffen up the chassis points. I drive over some twisty terrains and I consider these from an engineers pov to be an improvement in handling and hence safety. I also understand that the safety rating that Honda achieved with this chassis did not have these structures in placed, and hence they may hinder/distribute forces differently than otherwise intended.

My real questions is what do insurance providers make of these changes in vehicle dyanmics? Its not like am I going to S/C it, well not yet any way. What has other members experiences with these types of modifications, where they well received or did premiums raised?

also with electronic equipment for example OBD II gauges and electronic throttle controllers are these considered modifications?

edit* found some information Qld based (http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/c792a0c9-92b1-43ee-933b-7bdd8b20842f/pdf_modification_motor_vehicles2.pdf) page 6, answered my questions regarding chassis modifications.

ta

Levinson.

dougie_504
10-02-2012, 11:24 PM
I had to pay an extra $20 for my strut brave but nothing for my CAI lol

curtis265
11-02-2012, 11:19 AM
there's 2 ways to look at it. modifications can encourage you to drive harder, or modifications can encourage you to look after your car better because you're more likely to take pride in it. I have no idea what they think, but it seems that it can go either way

adding a thick RSB will make you oversteer more which is supposed to be 'unsafe'.

dougie_504
11-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Yeah.

They consider it to be a 'performance' upgrade so your premium will go up most likely. Anything else, like a sound system or some rims, isn't necessarily performance-orientated but it will increase the value of the car's accessories/likelihood of theft and probably increase your premium too.

Levinson Durbin
12-02-2012, 09:09 AM
thank you all, appreciate the input.

trism
12-02-2012, 07:05 PM
[QUOTE=curtis265;3239t188
adding a thick RSB will make you oversteer more which is supposed to be 'unsafe'.[/QUOTE]

i dont think an insurance company is going to look this far into it TBH. Most of the time, as long you let the insurer know that it has X amount of dollars of modifications, that are legal, and you want the agreed value to be raised by this much, they dont have a problem