PDA

View Full Version : Reducing Wheel Spin

JPR28610
11-02-2012, 08:43 PM
hey oz!

this might belong to noob thread but i want to reduce my wheel spin before i take it to the quater mile. taking off its okay but its when i shift into 2nd gear and wheel spins pretty hard. the last time i thrashed my car a few months ago it was good but i took it out for a hit yesterday and 2nd gear lagged pretty hard. just after some advice on mods or driving advice? lol

pretty much got 15x8 enkeis with re01s (good tread), skunk2 proc coilovers and camber kit with dead level settings all around. i also want to avoid putting semis on atm $$

heres a video i took when i gave it a hit yesterday and on my channel i got the video where i ripped it 3 months ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpJHA1Snd68&context=C3d600ceADOEgsToPDskJkoAMAHVCcXEITGmmMQJLA

btw i rarely drive my car and when i do drive it i rarely rip it. so i dont want to get flamed for dumb thread or being a hoon. ive rip it like 3 times since i done the conversion lol.

thanks..

senna
11-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Work on your timing between clutch and accel. You are probably coming off the clutch too hard while the revs are still up which will cause wheel spin.

In saying that though a drag strip is alot more grippy than the street, so it may not be a problem - just get out there and give it a run!

unl3a5h
11-02-2012, 09:24 PM
on the track should be different u will grip alot more than on the street but i think thats usually on take off im not sure about by the time u snap seconds

JPR28610
11-02-2012, 09:47 PM
yeah maybe i do need to work on timing ay. dont really like hooning it up and down the street practicing my shifts. gotta hit up the track, only sensible way to find out!

so no mods or upgrades that will help this besides semis?

senna
11-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Control arm bushes can help with traction, but i'd say you just need to lay off the clutch for a fraction :thumbsup:

JPR28610
11-02-2012, 10:56 PM
thanks senna. but i dont think i ride the clutch at all? ill give it another shot though when this dumb rain goes.

planning to replace front lca and rta bushes to the hardrace soon anyways. mine keeps cracking over time and i keep replacing em with cheapo used ones. replaced rear lca to f7 so thats all the bushes done.

HmGLuCaS
11-02-2012, 11:21 PM
man! you make me want a eg with a b18cr! xD! nice ride!

u mad?
11-02-2012, 11:42 PM
man thats a fukload of wheelspin for a b18, how much power are you making?

what are your tyre specs and what psi do you run them on?

you can try raising the rear height or drop the front a little, should help a bit.

JPR28610
12-02-2012, 12:17 AM
thanks man..

JPR28610
12-02-2012, 12:27 AM
man thats a fukload of wheelspin for a b18, how much power are you making?

what are your tyre specs and what psi do you run them on?

you can try raising the rear height or drop the front a little, should help a bit.

yeah i know man. havent dyno'd it yet, waiting on my s300. i mean cant be making that much power?

tyres are 205/50 15 with 36psi all around. ive drop the front as much as i could before it rubs the guards. tyres control really good around corners or even when taking off at 4k rpm.. its just when i snap 2nds

i havent even strip the interior yet for the track and im assuming it will spin more with less weight?

Oz_Striker
12-02-2012, 07:22 AM
You could drop your front tyre pressures a bit I reckon. Maybe soften the front dampers a bit as well but leave the rears stiff

boboz81
12-02-2012, 07:33 AM
Im not sure if its just calder park thats crap or every strip is the same.. But from the time I went, traction on the track is halved, was a complete shock to me.

I'm able to launch perfect on the street but at calder wheelspin was crazy to control.

So if your like that on the street you might have some serious issues at the strip

unl3a5h
12-02-2012, 09:41 AM
at wsid you grip heaps more than the street it just makes sense cause of thousands and thousands of cars that have gone down leave tyre residue so the road has a nice fat layer of rubber. rubber on rubber = moarr traction!!

JPR28610
12-02-2012, 10:25 AM
You could drop your front tyre pressures a bit I reckon. Maybe soften the front dampers a bit as well but leave the rears stiff

give it a go today. front damper was set pretty stiff ay. worth a try

JPR28610
12-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Im not sure if its just calder park thats crap or every strip is the same.. But from the time I went, traction on the track is halved, was a complete shock to me.

I'm able to launch perfect on the street but at calder wheelspin was crazy to control.

So if your like that on the street you might have some serious issues at the strip

at wsid you grip heaps more than the street it just makes sense cause of thousands and thousands of cars that have gone down leave tyre residue so the road has a nice fat layer of rubber. rubber on rubber = moarr traction!!

well i want to atleast reduce most of that wheelspin. its alot of lost traction. yeah i heard wsid is pretty grippy

GSi_PSi
12-02-2012, 01:08 PM
RE01's are a street tyre in the end, when i had RE01's 1,2 would be all wheel spin with the tyres screeching in 1st this is in my B20 DC2 though
Since having my CRX with K20a ive tried 3 sets of tyres,
RE01's from my DC2 = too much spin in 1,2,3. Very good in the wet though
Falken Azenis RT615 = Much better than the RE01's, Good traction in 1st, but would break traction in 2nd but reasonably controllable ... heres a video with dem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V-aqDiCQqE
Advan 032R's = Very Good with traction overall 1st,2nd little bit of wheelspin but nothing compared to the Azenis,
Im going to be trying a new semi slick maybe Toyo R888's....
Semi slicks arent that much more expensive than RE01's if you know were to look, Kumho Ku36,R888 are a bang for buck semi slick and definitely way better than the RE01's
Btw downsides to the Semi's are they are a death trap in heavy rain :( but upsides are they last so much longer than normal street tyres.

my 2c. inb4 keep my 2c

EKVTIR-T
12-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Semis last longer than street tyres?

http://www.thehomeplanet.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/maxwell_smart__confused.gif

GSi_PSi
12-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Its just what i have noticed with my car as with the street tyres your spinning like a khunt thru each gear, effectively wearing them out much easier...
Burnout even when slightly hard takeoff yulleh >>?

http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/37-intredasting.jpg

u mad?
12-02-2012, 01:53 PM
gsipsi i am dissapoint

ku36 =semi? wat
semi's last longer then street tyres? wat
Azenis.. known to be shite as soon as you get a bit of heat into them (releases an oily residue)

op when your tyres wear out try going with ado8's or starspec z1's, apparently best street tyres out atm.

try playing around with the tire pressure, ride height, damper settings. maybey also go get your alignment settings checked to make sure they're not outa whack.

otherwise you might just have to adjust your driving style.

u mad?
12-02-2012, 01:58 PM
also i can't see vidya, unless dat ps3 browser being a cheeky kunt

JPR28610
12-02-2012, 03:47 PM
lol semis wear out alot quicker than street tyres. and im happy with the re01r's. grips well in wet and dry but with alot of road noise which i dont mind. will be interesting to try other tyres though.

yeah i got a feeling its my susssy settings. and within the last 3 months ive drop the car abit so that couldve changed my allignment settings? plus i soften the damper not long ago on all four

got a while before my tyres will wear out so ill try muck around with sussy settings and/or driving style and see how i goes. worse case senario might have to go with new set of rims with some kind of semis

chargeR
13-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Don't smash shift to second. It is the shock you are applying to the tyres when you pop the clutch in second that is breaking them loose, if you shift more smoothly and match the revs when you disengage the clutch then you will have much less trouble maintaining traction. Chirping second might impress the ladies but it isn't that fast.

JPR28610
13-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Don't smash shift to second. It is the shock you are applying to the tyres when you pop the clutch in second that is breaking them loose, if you shift more smoothly and match the revs when you disengage the clutch then you will have much less trouble maintaining traction. Chirping second might impress the ladies but it isn't that fast.

yeah that makes sense. ill give it a go when i take my car out on the weekend.

btw i never met a girl who got horny over a chirps :P

shepparton
13-02-2012, 11:53 PM
give it a go today. front damper was set pretty stiff ay. worth a try

imo check your spring rate, not your damper.

RIHIA
13-02-2012, 11:55 PM
try flat shifting... that way your not taking the load off the engine completely

JPR28610
14-02-2012, 12:24 AM
narrr cant afford to waste money on new syncross! and i dont think power shifting will reduce wheel spin?

u mad?
14-02-2012, 12:31 AM
try flat shifting... that way your not taking the load off the engine completely

lollol fuk that'd make it worse 10 fold

mocchi
14-02-2012, 07:13 AM
yeah that makes sense. ill give it a go when i take my car out on the weekend.

btw i never met a girl who got horny over a chirps :P

power of dreams thats why
better street tires is your answer really, safer too.

JPR28610
14-02-2012, 01:23 PM
ive always thought the Potenza RE01R's were a very good street tyre.

only downside is the wear rate... so ill probaly hit up some AD08s after

DreadAngel
14-02-2012, 02:43 PM
RE01Rs are marshmellow street tires, on par with AD07s...

AD08s, RE11s, Z1s, etc are just the latest crop, performance improved some as you'd expect...

If you believe wear rate is bad on your RE01R, you won't get much difference out of the AD08s etc...