PDA

View Full Version : Import History

Azz86
12-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Hi Guys,
Purchased a second hand EP3 CTR a couple of weeks ago.
Just wondering if anyone has any good methods for proving the kilometres are genuine?

I've heard of people checking brake pads (mine have been replaced) and stuff like that.
Maybe I'd be better off not knowing but would be nice to know it is in the ball park.

Would also be helpful to know for service milestones and stuff like that.

DakDak
12-02-2012, 11:48 AM
It'd be a real pain in the arse. You'd have to litigate with Japanese official types in there Motor Registry industry. Do you know Japanese? Alot of jap imports have been rebirthed. Particularly skylines, whilst still in Japan. I read this guy on Syklines AU had a imported 32 or 33 gtr gun metal grey, he checked the history when it was in japan and after much stuffing around found out his car was listed as white as opposed to gun metal grey which was its stock colour and also which was spposedly to never had been sprayed etc. I bet the Yakuza run car rebirthing jobs all the time.

Only real way is to just sit in it and see how it feels. I jumped in a supposed 150000km Supra RZ and the engine was still strong but the paint, interior looked F()ked. the stock steering wheel leather was coming off, fraying really badly. My DC5r has got about 146000km and the steering wheel looks fine. No way it had only done 150000km. And if the car is mechanically A1 and with a befitting price, you cant really complain man.

Looks for small things and just think why.

Azz86
12-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Hi DakDak,
Thanks for the info.
I never thought about contacting the Japanese motor registry. That would be a pain in the arse lol. I don't speak Japanese.
Interesting story about the Skyline. A situation where you probably wouldn't want to know the history.

Stuff like the steering wheel and carpet would be a good way to tell. Although there is always a chance that it could of been replaced.

mugen_ctr
13-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Your only best bet is to rely on the cars overall conditions, kms dont mean jack all..... ive had previous exp with imports, 180sx an skylines, an most that come into the country have had there odometer wounded back for obvious reason.... Yes there are genuine examples out there with low kms, but those ones expect to pay a high price tag..... and most often are from prestigious dealers

There have been examples of crashed vehicles repaired in japan and other countries than sold off to ppl here with zero knowledge of the accident nor ever recorded on the countries vehicle data base, which does make the import scene a massive gamble.... Think off all the 180sx and gtrs that have come into the country, some of em are ex drifters and returned back to stock, so you would b wise to think has this 180sx ever had a drift accident where its bent the chassis rail or other vital components

Btw, did the owner give u all the import papers and that? Have a look on the Import paper, If its an auctioned vehicle, the auction papers should tell you what import grade the vehicle was... Generally speaking, the grades range from 1, being the lowest score and deemed unsafe or scrap cars to grade 5 Or S being new...

This should give u a better understanding of imports

http://japanimport.co.uk/auctiongrade.htm

Azz86
13-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Hey mate,
All I got was a receipt from IMG which has the sell price on it and stuff like that. Maybe I could request more info from them?
Didn't know that proper import papers actually existed. Interesting link. Thanks.

I have had the car on a hoist to check out the crumple zones and stuff like that. Did look all good.
I guess thats about all you can do really.