PDA

View Full Version : car not starting after ignition lead falling out of distributor

ekfour97
12-02-2012, 01:37 PM
hi all , thought id throw this out there b4 auto elct'n is called , so was driving pretty fast , on a track , when car coughed a bit like it ran out of juice for a split second then car just died and came to a slow halt. acceleration did nothing at all while slowing down. opened the bonnet and seen a lead hanging of the distributor and thought walla solved , but to no avail car still didnt start , turns over fine just seems like theres no spark . checked plugs . seem a gd colour checked ecu and got cel 20 electrtical load , and also got 54, 61 abs whatever this means , would check lead spark against head but not sure if this is a gd or bad thing with newish cars so please let me know . also can smell petrol on plugs after car is turned over so getting fuel , any ideas , thanks

trism
12-02-2012, 07:01 PM
is the lead pushed back on properly?

it might be not sending spark due to the error code, so get the CEL codes cleared.

mocchi
12-02-2012, 07:25 PM
dizzy fried probably, happens to numbnuts that try to test car by pulling out leads while car is running.
im not sure exactly what parts in dizzy needs replacement.

mate did this, we replaced dizzy and it ran fine afterwards.

ECU-MAN
13-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Hi

you have a failed ICM or Coil. Usually the Coil failes when a lead is removed while the engine is running.

you can ignore code 20 inthe PGMFI ECU and your ABS Codes being related to this problem

code 20 in PGMFI is ELD. you probably have a socketed ECU, and no ELD in your car. You can safly ignore this code or it can be removed, but you will always get it unless you have your ECU modded.

xclusive_eg8
13-02-2012, 09:48 AM
two things for you to try:

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2624753
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?56224-Coil-and-ICM-Input-Test&highlight=relay

I had exact same thing happen to me well besides me pulling lead out stupidly. Turned out to be a burnt coil, bought new one of ebay for $30 whilst everyone else wanted $80 and ebay one has been A++ for 2 years of Hondarape

ekfour97
14-02-2012, 09:08 AM
thanks everyone will try the tests above , knew it was dizzy related , luckily ive got a new dizzy already . can someone tell me why lead popped off and how i can prevent it in future , cheers

dougie_504
14-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Nothing, just push it on tight and don't bump it unconsciously.

If the leads are old and loose/not sealing properly get some new ones.