PDA

View Full Version : 86 accord - what oil to use

adamc11
12-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Hi,

I have a 1986 accord with 240,000kms.

It does not use or burn or leak any oil at all.

I'd like to put something good in, happy to spend $$$ on synthetic.

Could someone tell me what oil and what grade to put in?

Thanks,

Adam

6thgear
15-02-2012, 07:42 PM
what oil are you using at the moment? if its not burning/losing oil i'd just stick with what you're using...

otherwise imo i'd try 10W30 or 10W40 oil and check the condition at the dipstick every now and again. as with any car regular oil and filter changes should keep it happy.

if you really want to try something fancy, im a fan of royal purple oil...however, i think it would be a waste of $ on a daily to be honest. have heard good things about Nulon also

adamc11
17-02-2012, 11:13 AM
My mechanics use mobil oil, i am not sure what type of mobil oil or grade though.

Maybe Castrol Edge 10W40 would work well? Or Hondas fully synthetic oil?

khanguskhan
17-02-2012, 01:30 PM
240k kms, australian climate, 5/10/15w 50

adamc11
17-02-2012, 05:24 PM
I just purchased a ryco oil filter, 5w40 SN edge (they didn't have any w50) and a cheap sca drain pan, funnel and filter change tool. I won't be changing it for an hour or so. Is this stuff ok? If not, tell me now!

Thanks again.

adamc11
17-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Just noticed super cheap have 20% off this weekend. Bummer, I purchased this stuff from super cheap.

Anyway, I couldn't change the filter. The tool I got in the kit was too small to fit it by a tiny bit.

Car drives a lot better though, although I can't say the engine sounds quieter.

Jccck
20-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Just noticed super cheap have 20% off this weekend. Bummer, I purchased this stuff from super cheap.

Anyway, I couldn't change the filter. The tool I got in the kit was too small to fit it by a tiny bit.

Car drives a lot better though, although I can't say the engine sounds quieter.

If the engine is loud, and ticky.. You could have your mechanic re-adjust your tappets.
8-9 thou of an inch on Inlet, 10-11 thou of an inch on Exhaust iirc.
Using a thicker oil will also lessen the noise.

Fredoops
01-03-2012, 12:41 AM
I just purchased a ryco oil filter, 5w40 SN edge (they didn't have any w50) and a cheap sca drain pan, funnel and filter change tool. I won't be changing it for an hour or so. Is this stuff ok? If not, tell me now!

Thanks again.

Even the Penrite HPR5 5w-40 (just became full synthetic) would be fine. That's $40 bucks at the moment.

40 should be plenty weigh for daily or even spirited driving.

Speaking about noise, when was the last time the carby / injectors got cleaned

Fredoops
01-03-2012, 12:46 AM

Thanks again.

Even the Penrite HPR5 5w-40 would be fine. That's $40 bucks at the moment.

40 should be plenty weigh for daily or even spirited driving.

hondapop
01-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Interesting. First time I've seen an 86 Accord getting Q's asked about it. Had 2 of them, both H/backs A20A carby's (auto and manual). What model have you got?

adamc11
30-05-2012, 04:18 PM
I just got some import mobil 1 10w40 high mileage from ebay. Changed the oil and filter.

I'm amazed, the car drives like new. Engine revs so much more free and smooth, definitely will be using this oil again!

Interesting. First time I've seen an 86 Accord getting Q's asked about it. Had 2 of them, both H/backs A20A carby's (auto and manual). What model have you got?

1986 Accord Manual Si

Jccck
31-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Newly changed oil shouldn't noticably affect your Motor's performance/feel compared with the same oil 10,000km's later.
If it is, maybe you should be changing more often/using a better oil/get a new Motor.

Fredoops
31-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Newly changed oil shouldn't noticably affect your Motor's performance/feel compared with the same oil 10,000km's later.
If it is, maybe you should be changing more often/using a better oil/get a new Motor.

Oil does make a notable difference, ell when you switch from xw-40 to xw-30 you could feel it.

Not to mention to switch from dino to full synthetic.

When my euro changed from xw-40 castrol GTX to mobil one xw-30 the car feels much smoother and revs muh easier.

adamc11
31-05-2012, 03:27 PM

I always notice a difference with new oil, haven't you noticed your car always feels better after a service? Oil degrades with use, fresh oil makes a huge difference.

Jccck
01-06-2012, 09:10 AM
I always notice a difference with new oil, haven't you noticed your car always feels better after a service? Oil degrades with use, fresh oil makes a huge difference.

Only ever noticed it once in my old 4wd.. Because it was running the wrong oil, Motor was tired, etc.
In any of the other cars, bikes, etc i've ever owned/driven/serviced.. Never noticed a difference.

Oil should be changed out before it degrades to a point that it is no longer doing it's job.
You should never feel a difference, like i said.. If you are, change it more often.

Fredoops
01-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Only ever noticed it once in my old 4wd.. Because it was running the wrong oil, Motor was tired, etc.
In any of the other cars, bikes, etc i've ever owned/driven/serviced.. Never noticed a difference.

Oil should be changed out before it degrades to a point that it is no longer doing it's job.
You should never feel a difference, like i said.. If you are, change it more often.

Your butt dyno needs recalibration then :-p