PDA

View Full Version : 89-91 ED Struts onto EG 91-95

shake
13-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Hey all,

I have an 89 Civic with Koni struts fitted, mostly out of curiosity. I was wondering if it is possible to swap them onto an EG. I did some googling and found out that the rears will fit, providing its not an early ED 87/88. I also read that EG struts are wider that the ED on the front, so I'm asuming you couldn't go the other way (ie EG front struts > onto ED). But will ED struts go onto the EG?

Keen to hear back, thanks!

trism
13-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Correct. Where the lower part of the shock slides into the fork, the EG is thicker. You could put the ED one in, but itd move around, not be solid. I wouldnt risk it.

You could use the ED fork though, and get away with it.

grifty
13-02-2012, 08:18 PM
You should be able to use the ED fork with no probs.

shake
14-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks!

Setanta
14-02-2012, 05:00 PM
ED forks may be interchangeable but there may be issues with the reverse.

I ran EG suspension on my EF9 which required machining 2 mm off the "u" shape on the lower wishbone to clear the EG struts (slight geometry change between the models). I'm not sure how this would impact on the reverse fitting.

hondapop
14-02-2012, 05:50 PM
ED forks may be interchangeable but there may be issues with the reverse.

I ran EG suspension on my EF9 which required machining 2 mm off the "u" shape on the lower wishbone to clear the EG struts (slight geometry change between the models). I'm not sure how this would impact on the reverse fitting.

Interesting that, someone with an EF8 on crxAus had a problem with CV shafts rubbing on the forks on full lock and no-one could suggest a reason why. Maybe this is it. I haven't as yet put the front EG struts and forks onto my ED9 (D16A8) so I'll be taking note to see if it does. As you've said there are geometry differences also between EF8/9 and ED's probably because the steering arms on the EF8/9 knuckle are longer,and the tierod ends are shorter than the ED.

Other factors to consider with using ED forks/struts on an EG is that while the vertical distance of the fork (between clamp and LCA pivot) are the same, the front part of the EG fork is curved inwards more than the ED and is thicker. (Stronger?) I believe this is to give greater clearance for the Brake caliper hose union at full lock. I haven't checked this out on the EG to say that this is indeed a fact, but it came up when doing an investigation into changing ED 242mm brakes for DA9 262mm (requiring exchanging knuckle/hubs as well). The DA9 forks also have this extra curved inwards/heavier constuction.

So as a suggestion, should you run into brake hose union bolt head to fork clearance issues after fitting ED gear to your EG, you could try fitting DA9 forks because they fit ED shocks. You may also run into some brake hose fitment probs where they bolt to the clips at the bottom of the struts.

shake
15-02-2012, 07:26 AM
Interesting. Let me know how you go when you get around to it.