PDA

View Full Version : Recently purchased DC5S brakes...

Lubetube
14-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Having recently purchasing dc5s brakes, I was hoping to do a 5 stud conversion on either my EG or ED9. i was wondering is it:
- even possible?
- a simple exchange, or does it involve more custom/technical work?

chargeR
14-02-2012, 09:43 AM
It is possible, but not worthwhile. If you want 5 stud then get the setup from a DC2R or similar, it will just bolt on (at least on the EG, the ED is a bit harder).

IV73CI
14-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Having recently purchasing dc5s brakes, I was hoping to do a 5 stud conversion on either my EG or ED9. i was wondering is it:
- even possible?
- a simple exchange, or does it involve more custom/technical work?

Youll have to get custom brackets made up for the calipers,

And may require some spacers.

Google dc5 brakes fitted in EG/ED and see what comes up.

chargeR
14-02-2012, 09:50 AM

And may require some spacers.

Google dc5 brakes fitted in EG/ED and see what comes up.

This guy is correct. But that still won't get you 5 stud. So you can really only use the calipers.

IV73CI
14-02-2012, 10:06 AM
check this out ...huge debate about it .. LOL

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?159819-DC5-brakes-on-EK&highlight=DC5+brakes

there is also a link to honda-tech (i think) showing some mofo has it installed. but in an EK.

Lubetube
14-02-2012, 10:11 AM

sorry not sure if i was clear; ill rephrase...

since im doing an engine swap sometime next year, it's a given that i need bigger brakes. i recently purchased 5 stud hub conversion parted from a dc5s. would it have been ideal to buy like brembo brakes or aftermarket brakes in general; or get the 5 stud conversion and then upgrade those form there?

this is such a head **** :(

thanks for the response!

IV73CI
14-02-2012, 10:30 AM
sorry not sure if i was clear; ill rephrase...

since im doing an engine swap sometime next year, it's a given that i need bigger brakes.

its very clear that as part of engineering and safety regulations that you upgrade your Brakes if you increase the current chassis engine capacity by more than 10%.

Since when EG's did come out in B16A and NOT B18, then upgrading from D16 will not require an engineers nor bigger brakes.

(but having a nice slotted rotors would be nice and has a better braking confidence).

i recently purchased 5 stud hub conversion parted from a dc5s. would it have been ideal to buy like brembo brakes or aftermarket brakes in general; or get the 5 stud conversion and then upgrade those form there?

Depends on what engine conversion your planning to go. if B16/18 from a lets say D16, then there is no need to upgrade your brakes.

If your going above 2000cc engine capacity then YES its advisable to upgrade your brakes. MOST people are getting away with just upgrading the rotors to a Slotted type and upgrading the brake pads to match.No need to upgrade to a 5LUG.. BUT this will also depend on the engineer who is going to pass you. e.g. turbocharging etc.

No need for Brembo's or Spoon type calipers (expensive ass) unless your planning to track / drag the motor continuously.

this is such a head **** :(

thanks for the response!

YES it is,

IMO - you should of waited until you got your conversion done, then decide exactly what you need with brakes upgrade.

Generally a 5LUG from a DC2R/EK9R are the common brake swaps as they normally bolt up without any issues.

DC5 5LUGs require fabrication and technical knowledge if your going to do a DIY. Otherwise pay someone to do it for you which will cost you more in the end.

vinnY
14-02-2012, 11:21 AM
I'd hazard a guess and say, near impossible

on one hand you have double wishbone suspension
on the other hand you have brakes from a macpherson strut equipped car

if you look at the two setups you'll see why it's near impossible

Lubetube
14-02-2012, 11:26 AM
awesome (... and gay at the same time)! thanks for the detailed response :)

i guess i'll make do what i have and see where it takes me.

once again, thanks for the info :)

dorikin
14-02-2012, 11:56 AM
I'd hazard a guess and say, near impossible

on one hand you have double wishbone suspension
on the other hand you have brakes from a macpherson strut equipped car

if you look at the two setups you'll see why it's near impossible

Listen to this man