PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone converted auto choke to manual?

90civicGL
14-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Hi guys, I've heard that I can get a auto to manual choke conversion kit from Repco.

I have a D15B4, but I assume the process is very similar on any carbied engine. So my question is has anyone done this conversion them selves and did it make a difference with your engine running rich/smoking?

Cause I have to decide whether to try get mine working, have a feeling it is the auto choke gone. Or to carry out a swap. So any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

90civicGL
14-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Most auto repair shops (http://www.automd.com/shops/) can do that... have it done by a professional mechanic or might want some advice on them.

Im trying to do everything DIY, mainly to save money, and to not pour money into an engine that may not ever work again. I remember someone saying the kit is $35. Then there is just gaskets for the carbs. Like I dont mind getting my hand dirty and having a shot at fixing it.

But having said that, I dont know anything about carbies yet. So is the recommendation from a professional mechanic just cause its a hard tedious job? Or because its easy to break other things while carrying it out?

I'm going to wring boss wreckers and find out how much a new carby is, and ring repco to find out more about the kit. May also see if I can find any places that recon carbies and just drop mine off and take home a recon'd one.

But I think best bet is to try switch over the choke. So to do that I would have to route a cable from engine, through firewall and into the dash correct? And it works just like how a bike shifter cable would work? But instead of changing gears, it pulls the choke open.

ECU-MAN
15-02-2012, 08:17 AM
are you sure its the choke that is your problem ????

do you understand how the D15B4 carbie system works ?

you might find converting to manual choke may not resolve your problems

90civicGL
15-02-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm probably around 70% sure its the choke, It seems to have the right symptoms. Dont know how the carbies work at this point. I understand how the choke works, and I have a feeling it is stuck. According to my dads mechanic friend the chokes in these hondas are known to go. So I figured its worth a shot.

And if it doesnt resolver the problem then there is one less thing that the problem could be :P.

Repco didn't have any dizzy caps, its the only thing in the ignition system that could still be replaced. That might make a difference. But we think the car is running very rich, and the choke would explain that problem.

hondapop
15-02-2012, 02:16 PM
I've got a problem with the auto choke on my GA2 City, in which the only way to cold start it is to pour some fuel down the carby, open the throttle wide and crank till it starts. Once it warms up a bit it keeps going apart from a flat spot on acceleration but because it's off the road haven't bothered too much about it. Your Q has prompted me to do some googling and I came across this (81 pages of it)

http://www.d-series.org/forums/engine-building/23877-d-series-carbs.html

A haven't gone into it very deeply as yet but it looked the most promising of anything on google.

90civicGL
15-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Does anyone know if this would work on the D15B4, I know it says 12 valve, and 84-87 crx. But also says 1.5l. What you guys think? Anyone on this forum a carby expert that I could PM?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K726-Weber-Carburetor-Kit-Honda-Civic-CRX-1-3-1-5-CARB-/360352652763?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item53e6b11ddb#ht_2072wt_1139

hondapop
15-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Does anyone know if this would work on the D15B4, I know it says 12 valve, and 84-87 crx. But also says 1.5l. What you guys think? Anyone on this forum a carby expert that I could PM?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K726-Weber-Carburetor-Kit-Honda-Civic-CRX-1-3-1-5-CARB-/360352652763?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item53e6b11ddb#ht_2072wt_1139

Seller doesn't post to Australia.

90civicGL
15-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Seller doesn't post to Australia.

ah ok, worst case i can get it sent to some friend in america, so thats not a big issue for me.

hondapop
15-02-2012, 09:28 PM
It's certainly a very tempting proposition.

90civicGL
15-02-2012, 10:00 PM
It gives a 20%ish increase in performance, so roughly 120-125HP, so takes it out of the question for me as a P plater. Still curious if that kit would work though.