PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Vtec Light

dundas
26-02-2005, 12:11 AM
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Do at own RISK=
OZHINDA TAKES NO RESPONSIBILTY FOR YOUR ACTIONS
IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND DO NOT ATTEMPT-
I AM NOT LIABLE FOR THINGS BLOWING UP ETC
DO NOT COMPLAIN TO ME IF YOUR CAR BLOWS UP or VTEC "FALLS OFF"

tools: sumthing to cut wire ^_^
A 12 Volt globe
wire stripper
shring wrap or wiring tape
if you want solder n soldering ion
a couple of meters of cable (not too thick :D)
anything else you require eg, for the ground -

ok easy-
Step 1--- Find your VTEC SOLENOID wire (usually a single wire in the engine bay) most people know where it is, if not do a search on the net ^_^
OR
Find your VTEC wire from the ECU

Step 2--- Find a suitable spot to ground, and also a suitable spot to mount the globe/light

Step 3--- Strip some of the wire from either cables.. only 1 necessary.

Step 4--- measure qire required, Attatch new wire to VTEC wire-

Step 5--- connect the wire to globe
-----to vtec solinoid or sumthing :)
VTEC WIRE ----split____GLOBE______GROUND

----- is original wire VTEC
_____ new wire

Step 6--- Wire it all up make sure car is warm, start it up, give it a test without completely soldering etc ur globe or mounting it yet... incase bad ground etc.

Step 7--- YUP put da light sumwhere safe to see while driving so u dont take eyes off road. or have sum1 in da car with you ^_^

Step 8--- Confirm everything and make it semi/fully permanent- mount globe etc.

FULLY SICK MATE--- VTEC comes on quite early on an accord btw after 2800 if u flat foot it- yup its true---watch the light-

Happy VTEC'ing
Dundas

toE
26-02-2005, 10:41 AM
some pics would've been good. :rolleyes:

tRipitaka
26-02-2005, 12:27 PM
Does this work on Auto VTECs ?
Just heard that it uses a different wire or something, and if you do it, the vtec light is constantly on..

_JENZA_
26-02-2005, 09:54 PM
if i take pics, you will post right?

ill take some pics 2morrow ^_^ umm Mr Toe ummz, ill give to u--- via ummz, msn or sumthing.. oops, btw its -DUNDAS- ^_^ <------ signature move ^_^

for the question from tripitaka- VTEC LIGHT well i wouldnt have a clue mate-
LOL well, all i knowis that it worked on my car-- eg, used a vtec controller to see vtec shift points nd at 3500rpmit worked ^_^...
noticed on da accord, it comes on early at stock vtec engegement ^_^

Sp3rMz
26-02-2005, 10:10 PM
This guy....Too much jibberish....To hard to understand....Should use pictures so we can understand whats going on a bit more.

Steer^Gimic
27-02-2005, 01:21 PM
cant_____seem to _______________UNDERSTAND_______much___bad________ __ENGRISH

dundas
27-02-2005, 05:54 PM
ok i'll go simple with no pictures.
splice wire from VTEC solenoid, attatch new wire to it which goes to a globe, and then attach another wire to the ground side of the globe. DONE

lerroy
27-02-2005, 06:04 PM
LOL
Easy as that hey

try here http://speed-society.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10490&sid=3658b33dcf8c01d8566e8a5bd25f73c7

reyesone
27-02-2005, 09:33 PM
Steer^Gimic + Sp3rMz
you guys are both idiots.

His grammar and spelling wasn't 100% correct but if you couldn't understand that at all.....then i'd be taking a good hard look at my own "engrish" skills.

In his own time he made an article for us all and instead of saying thanks or whatnot you go and try to make fun of/disrespect his efforts.

Sp3rMz do you only read picture books? cause your reply seems to indicate just that.

ECU-MAN
27-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Vtec works the same for auto and manual

Sp3rMz
27-02-2005, 11:35 PM
Steer^Gimic + Sp3rMz
you guys are both idiots.

His grammar and spelling wasn't 100% correct but if you couldn't understand that at all.....then i'd be taking a good hard look at my own "engrish" skills.

In his own time he made an article for us all and instead of saying thanks or whatnot you go and try to make fun of/disrespect his efforts.

Sp3rMz do you only read picture books? cause your reply seems to indicate just that.

Sigh another internet hero trying to start trouble out of nothing -_-. All I was trying to point out was, it was hard to understand. To me its easy because I already know how to wire a vtec LED but for other people it might hard for them to understand. Hence I asked for picture so it would tie up what he was saying. Much more easy to relate words with pictures. Alot of peoples grammar suck. Mine does too I don't deny it. I was just helpin him with his article. Seriously u guys need to have a chill. I see why people complain left rite and center bout ozhonda now days. You read into things to much and have a go at anyone.

And if dundas has a problem with what im saying let him take out on me. What reason for you to butt in and start trouble out of nothing for. And if Dundas has a problem with me then (I'd get Jenza to poke him in the eye :p) I would apologise, but theres really nothing in it.

As for Steer^Gimic his only taking the piss out of Dundas. Have a sense of humor I'm 100% sure he meant nothing in it. Thats the problem with Ozhonda these days no one has sense of humor and take things too serious.

dundas
28-02-2005, 12:04 AM
reyesone== thanks dude, appreciate it-
as for the people giving me shit- its ok if you want to pay me out. I dont mind, just couldnt be bothered taking pics.. btw i write this up while it was late and i was tired so obvious that i didnt make sence 100% ===
as for my english LMAO i know it is shit---oh wells no study and still make it into uni *shrugs*
hmmz.. all i have to say you guys are mean.. :P
ummz reyesone-was being nice--- dont go dissing him... please keep to topic dudes-- if u wanna abuse each other.. please do so in the lounge or by pm's thank you.

SiR JDM
28-02-2005, 12:14 AM
reyeson - the purpose of your post was...? nothin but to start trouble .. forum hero...
spermz was pointin out that the grammar and english of dundas were a bit hard to understand and that accompanying pictures would have been benefitial, to that i agree, regardless of his grammar etc, guides to exactly which wire/s should be used, where should be grounded etc are beneficial areas that i think should be covered in a proper DIY article... like spermz said if dundas had a problem with wat Sp3rMz or Steer^Gimic said, he would approch them himself ..

anyway, in order not to sound like a hypocrit my contribution to this thread is that it should contain pictures to help guide. I know im a visual learner and sometimes find it hard to visualise things, hence why pictures are helpful.

btw, is there a purpose to this other than rice factor? i dont mean that in a bad way before people flame me, but if it has no other purpose than just for looks then i think that fits the rice category. If done subtly, to some people with some setups i think it could look quite cool.

edit : i began writing this before dundas replied

Sp3rMz
28-02-2005, 12:19 AM
Requested by DUNDAS. Just couple of pictures of his complete job.

reyesone
28-02-2005, 07:18 AM
take my post as you will. i was merely trying to help dundas out and if that makes me a hero then i guess all i can say is thanks...

the purpose of my first post was to compliment dundas on his efforts as well as be a hero as all you sheep put it.

if you got offended in my first post then im not sorry

egSi
28-02-2005, 07:29 AM
nice work dundas :)

J-MuN
28-02-2005, 07:35 AM
its kinda like the vtec light i've seen in a video clip of an EP3... the one wit some ex-formula 1 driver driving it... :p its kinda ricey but pretty kewl :D

Sp3rMz
28-02-2005, 07:42 AM
You can buy a vtec light for your dash. You know on your dash theres engine light, oil, hand brake etc....Well you can get one that says vtec. Its pretty ricey but rice is good :D

incoming
28-02-2005, 10:56 AM
what i did was use the shift light from the autometer monstar tachos!
works a treat!

joyride
28-02-2005, 11:04 AM
it doesnt work if u use the shift light on any car. i think it has to do with the light bulb.

_JENZA_
28-02-2005, 12:49 PM
I use it as a rice product and also to ensure vtec is working ok.

lerroy
28-02-2005, 01:28 PM
how about this ricey hehe :P but pretty cool

Quote :

VTEC Indicator

New for Honda owners is the Do-Luck VTEC Indicator. Encased in a 1.38inch' billet casing, this VTEC Indicator is sure to add a nice touch to your interior. The Ignition and VTEC colors can be changed to 7 different colors each, allowing you to coordinate the LED color with your instrument panels for 64 different color combinations. Do-Luck's VTEC Indicator can be installed to all Honda VTEC engines and can also be used in conjunction with other brand VTEC controllers

http://www.importstreetscenes.com/interior/gauges/doluck/doluck_vtecindicator.jpg

G33K
28-02-2005, 01:54 PM
Hahahaha you guys are funny! if you think Dundus sounds wierd online you should meet him in real life! I have no clue what he's saying! bahahaha

Anywayz, i would have done this but i dont have Vtec! boooooooo

Rice is very Nice! lol

toE
28-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Let's keep the replies to the topic, ok kids. :)

Understandably this is your first attempt at a DIY "tutorial" dundas, and I'm pretty sure we at OH appreciate the thought.

Just bear in mind to include some pics or diagrams even in future. That goes for everyone. It just makes life a little bit easier. ;)

That said, thank you for this write-up and hope to see more in future.

Anyways, dundas, where did you put the light at? Can't quite make out where that is. :o

dundas
28-02-2005, 06:22 PM
on da CD accord u know where ur steering wheel is.. to the left of that-- above ur knee (if in da car driving)-

tRipitaka
28-02-2005, 06:40 PM
Vtec works the same for auto and manual

So it should work ?
Because I read on another honda forum that when they put a VTEC light into an auto, the vtec light was on all the time ? like constantly throughout the rev range

Steer^Gimic
28-02-2005, 06:53 PM
cheers dundas, just taking the piss out of you mate. damm, i couldnt go through the effort of writing a tute, i would rather scratch my nuts cause im just so lazy! so thanks!
cool little mod, might not serve much of a purpose, nevertheless..cool!

tegstar83
28-02-2005, 10:40 PM
So what is the point of the light? Just to know if Vtec is on??
Dont flame me its just a question, no sarcasim intended.

Disciple
28-02-2005, 11:32 PM
smart idea, isnt there a vtec light on some clusters tho? so i've heard..

Sp3rMz
01-03-2005, 11:42 PM
So what is the point of the light? Just to know if Vtec is on??
Dont flame me its just a question, no sarcasim intended.

Its just another rice to the addition. Eg i hooked up in my friends VL commo a little light exactly where dundas put his. Instead of vtec though, vls have a power button and when he presses that power button his lil light fashes LOLOL.

|N|
02-03-2005, 12:28 AM
thats nice rice.... i want it ... but i dun have vteeeccccc... can i still have sth like that? like the led would come on when i reach a certain rpm??? or do i need to connect it through a proper shift light?

Sp3rMz
02-03-2005, 12:33 AM
Umzz....i pretty sure you can make something like that. Ask Dundas to help you out because he told me he was goin to build home made shift light too.

SiR JDM
02-03-2005, 12:36 AM
A guy i know did that, but instead of the *power button*... he repalced THAT with a missile switch .. so when u flick it it goes into power mode..

muli
02-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Would it be possible to wire up the Vtec solenoid somehow to turn on the light on a tacho when vtec is engaged

dundas
04-03-2005, 04:31 PM
muli-- do u mean a seperate tacho or the tacho on your dash?
just add a vtec solenoid as power cable - it will go on when vtec is running ^_^
if ur thinking wat im thinking.. datd look siiickkk

as for da rice thing Muahhahaha-= yes it is rice and it is nice ^_^

muli
05-03-2005, 01:01 PM
separate tacho

dundas
06-03-2005, 06:00 PM
Muli, just give it a shot man, without making any premanent solfdering etc.. and ensure it can be remeove without damaging anything,
if it works, why not write up a DIY?

Spoon-Accord
08-03-2005, 12:25 AM
i got one of these in my car too.. dunda's didnt i tell u its fun?

using a shift light wont work.. due to the resistance or wattage of the globe (somehting like that correct me iff wrong*)

i just used an 12 volt LED.. lights up great at night.. all those commonwhore driver look and think.. gee this guy with redlining his car for a while now.. lolz

anywayz guys.. have fun.. i might post up some pictures for u guys.. cause i gotta fix mine up anywayz..

take care

Kenny

h22a accord
08-03-2005, 08:45 AM
looks interesting, i want one in my dash cluster though. will have to get my friend the auto elect to do it cos im too lazy hahaha.

its not as if ya cant tell when a h22a engages vtec, at WOT 5300rpm comes and goes quickly...the power at the wheels increases by 20 hp instantly which pushes ya back in your seat and the induction noise goes insane. lolz.

jdmlvn
25-10-2005, 10:53 PM
pics or leave..lol i would be suprised if this works

tRipitaka
25-10-2005, 11:05 PM
pics or leave..lol i would be suprised if this works
what do u mean ?

kayot1k
28-10-2005, 05:19 PM
shit man pics already.
what do u mean youll be suprised?

dundas
28-10-2005, 05:54 PM
OMG this is an oldy...
anyways, YES THIS WORKS!!! its a basic concept where power from the VTEC solenoid hooked up to a globe with the usual ground will light up when VTEC engages.
basic power conduction.

Pics... hmmz. i think they have been removed by now. PM me if you are really interested!

rosso
12-11-2005, 08:26 PM
Stop begging him for pics, he wrote what he can and what he did best was trying hard to share his DIY! I'm disgusted at some people who is such a fag and wants what he can get you greedy bastards!

Good work dundas, telling me which wiring was useful, but for some people who bugs you doesn't know shit about car. Goodluck dood.

fusion_VTi
15-11-2005, 03:39 PM
do rew speaka engarish????

rosso
15-11-2005, 05:52 PM
naw I sqeek na enrish za dou?

dundas
05-01-2006, 09:51 AM
ok the reason why there are no more pics is because its super old thread.

marte
13-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

just touchin on an old thread. i saw this in the diy section of one of my old mags so i tested it out, i've revised it and changed abit to make it as simple as possible, same way i did it bassicly

Aim: Vtec indicater
Required:
2v 5mm LEDS
12v Small amp relay
2m thin black wire
2m thin red wire
light enclosure(used was a DIN space and charcoal perspex)
soldering iron
solder wire
super glue

Steps:

step 1;find a spot with in your car where you want to fit ur vtrec light. you could potentially put a small LED in the dash somewhere or altenatively utilise a small electrical box to fit the light in.(spare single din storage space that is mounted in the centre of the car infront of the gear shifter)

step 2; determine the parts needed to build the enclousure for your light. (cover the front of the DIN storage space wtith charcoal perspex on top of the perspex was some black vinyl with the VTEC logo cut out of it with the LED'S mounted inside the boxm the logo will light up red when the vtec solenoid is actv.

step 3; cut the charcoal perspex to shape rounded the cornors so that the peice would fit neatly over the opening of the "spare single din storage space"

step 4; select ur vtec logo (prefebally off the net) place it on a disc, take it to your local graphics shop(print out more then one just incase). The idea is to have your charcoal perspex all black exept for your VTEC sign.

step 5; use six 2V LED's wired in series to light the chrcoal perspex, using 6 2V LED's in series means that the lights create a 12V circuit to be used inn an auto electrical system(if you use lower voltage LED's then your cars power voltage will cause them to blow)

step 6; solder the LED's into a simple circuit to fit around the DIN stoarage box with 3 on each side. when soldering the LED's you will need to connect the diode of one LED to the cathode of the next LED and so on till they all connect(heat shrinked was used to cover all of the connections)

step 7; with the LED circuit complete, drill the corresponding holes into the DIN storage box,line up each of the LED's around the DIN box, mark where they can be fitted and drill holes

Step 8; secure the LED circuit to your DIN boxx with superglue, while doing this make sure that the LED's were poking far enough into the DIN encloursure to provide adequate light, with glue on the LED's we applied some pressure to the diodes for a few minutes to ensure they set in the right posistion

Step 9;apply the vinyl with the vtec logo cut out to the back of the perspex ( had the logo cut out in reverse so that it could stick the vinyl on the inside of the DIN enclousure. b4 glueing the perspex to the DIN box, place some reflective cardboard inside the enclousure to point the light directly out the front

step 10; with the LED's wired in series, you will be left with a single positive and a single negative wire exiting the cicuit. these are wirres that need to be fed 12V of power(cut the positive wire at the point where you want to place the relay and then solder both sections to the switching poles of the relay) attatch the neg. wire to a ground point in the chasis

step 11. tap a wire into the vtec out of the ecu(this is indicated by the pinout diagram)(the one used was OBD2b ECU from a b16b) search the net for the diagram. tapped the wire into the B12 pin from the ecu, soldered this wire to one of the trigger poles of the relay. soldered another wire from the 2nd trigger pole to the relay and then attatched this to a clean ground point.

step 12; clean ur wirings, hdie it under the dash, fitted the DIN unit back in posistion replaced and removed trim panels and the job was done. As soon as the ecu activated the secondary cam lobes the LEDS shone bright and VTEC screamed out.

Mr_will
13-03-2006, 10:44 PM
do rew speaka engarish????

i no speaka no ingli

dundas
17-03-2006, 05:12 PM
hey add some pics for others to see :)

Micko
04-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Nice work guys, thread was a real help.
pics or it didnt happen hehe ^_^ j/k

EDIT: Ive just recently done this, and i have taken photos of each step. if you would like me to post them i will do so. and also note for most EM1's i found that my car has a USDM Enigne and that the vtec solenoid was found on Connector B - Pin 12 (b12)

dtrang
22-10-2006, 08:44 PM
yes please post pics but might be different cause i got a teg vtir ohh wells after the ecu probably similar... i was thinking of taking pics when i was going to do it. hey what stickers did you guys use cause i cant find any good ones out there
there are like VTEC but thats kinda plain ive seen VTEC y0! stickers but i cant find them anywhere :S and i dont want an after market brand either

mattchuej8
30-06-2008, 08:35 PM
wtf is this vtec light! LOL>
is this standard?
if soo i dont have one :(
yes i have a sohc vtec lol :P

trism
01-07-2008, 09:19 PM
dude your such a frikking noob.

its DIY

that means do it yourself.

which means its not there yet.

also, if you cared to read you would see teh instructions.

stop posting shit, im sick and tired of wasting braincells reading your crap

Mooks79
18-08-2008, 03:01 AM
this one is a bit hard to understand....but anyway ill give it a go...........

CRXDEL501
18-10-2008, 03:58 PM
i know this is an old thread, but i did it today.
works really well

love it :)

well done

chunky
18-10-2008, 04:14 PM
i want to do this so badd
i need a car first T_T

tkdbboy
22-10-2008, 02:49 PM
can someone write up a DIY for the AC to turn on full blast when the car hits VTEC? :D I want my vtec experience enhanced haha

CRXDEL501
22-10-2008, 11:06 PM
you gotta be kidding me?
diy = do it yourself.

tkdbboy
23-10-2008, 09:43 AM
bit obvious I am kidding but ........ maybe we can add water, wipers and hazards turning on too ;)

xmkydx
28-10-2008, 09:29 PM
with a relay, im sure you could hook up the vtec signal to switch on just about anything :p
im planning to use it to turn on some under body neons
bahahahahah riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

CRXDEL501
28-10-2008, 10:06 PM
mate did that.

migoreng
28-10-2008, 10:13 PM
make a sign in your rear view that lights up
something like 'smokescreen ftw' !!!

=_=

ndeuro_
01-11-2008, 02:54 AM
heres my vtec light :D comment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvmP7ENgQzk

krzy
01-11-2008, 03:13 PM
fukin orsm

Gazz95Lude
01-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Thats pretty sick but IMO u should get rid of the beep lol, could get pretty annoying.

ndeuro_
02-11-2008, 03:21 AM
lol the preset peak is at 6000rpm and it beeps at that point. but i wired it wrong, theres no constant so everytime i set it, it will just reset again the next time i turn the car on. i need to rewire it. but other than that its all good =]

hurted
19-03-2010, 05:03 PM
hooked the vtec light up the other day and it looked cool.

good write up. thanks:thumbsup:

EVLGTR
18-06-2010, 12:41 AM
This is probably good for those who cant hear their VTEC crossover such as D16Y engines.

Gotta add that this has to be one of the ricest thing ive known besides huge aftermarket trolley spoilers and spaceship-like body kits and Mashi-maro's or Hello Kitty at the back of the car. LOLL

vtecing
18-06-2010, 04:37 PM
it cant be any more rice than a shift light?