PDA

View Full Version : Installing rear trailing arm bushing. Energy suspension.

90civicGL
16-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Hey guys, On the website it says to reuse hardware. I know that i have to re-use the metal bit that goes through the bushing. But my question is do i reuse the outer metal ring? I know in all the other bushings you dont. But its not very clear on the RTA. The trailing arm itself only has around 2cm's or so that would actually grip the bushing. So this is why i have the impression I do reuse the outer metal sleeve. Thanks

stndrd
16-02-2012, 01:54 PM
With the super pro rta bushes you need to re use the metal outter sleeve, but not 100% sure with the energy suspension ones. If there is no sleeve on the bush, you will have to re use the oe one

senna
16-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Super Pro also have a complete replacement option now, comes with the centre pin and the bush is bonded to an alloy shell SPF3495K

chargeR
16-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Get OEM ones from the US and save yourself the headache. That is what I did on my SiR and would do the same again. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that the polyurethane rear trailing arm bushes can cause spooky handling.

senna
16-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Links to said evidence of spooky handling? I would be interested to read...

90civicGL
16-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Well after more research and closer inspection I do need to use the O.E outer shell. I plan on doing the EG rear disk swap 1-2 years down the track, so ill see how I like the polyurethane bushings in it.

chargeR
16-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Links to said evidence of spooky handling? I would be interested to read...

Sorry I should have said "conjecture". Plenty of guys on Honda-tech report difficult on-limit handling with polyurethane trailing arm bushes, there is a very large thread about it but I can't find it at the moment, here is a small example: LINK (http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1551311&highlight=energy+RTA%2A). It seems reasonable to me that restricting the motion of the trailing arm about the longitudinal axis could cause unwanted side effects given that the whole thing has to tilt as the wheel cambers with bump travel, so for the sake of a few dollars (how much is a typical polyurethane replacement bush anyway?) I went OEM.

senna
16-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Hmm, perhaps these experiences are caused by a very high duro poly bush or a non voided design.

Something like this should work perfectly and comes with all the hardware too, no re-using parts!

http://www.superpro.com.au/find-superpro-parts-for-my-vehicle/part?id=SPF3495K