PDA

View Full Version : Euro still best mid sizer

antony
16-02-2012, 09:37 PM
For March 2012,Wheels magazine tested 11 mid sized sedans/wagons,as this segment is very competitive,but important,as is now selling in greater numbers in large segment.

The winner was the Accord Euro,followed by Mazda 6,Ford Mondeo,VW Jetta,and Skoda Octavia.

Others included Peugeot 508,Suzuki Kizashi,Hyundai i40,new Toyota Camry,Kia Optima,and Subaru Liberty.

Very interesting reading...but EURO felt the most premium,and deserves GOLD...:thumbsup:

buddah51au
18-02-2012, 04:59 PM
It was a very interesting read with a few surprises -

11. Kia Optima Platinum.
10. Camry Atara S.
9. Peugeot 508 Active.
8. Subaru Liberty 2.5i.
7. Suzuki Kizashi Sport.
6. Hyundai i40 Elite.
5. Skoda Octiva 90TSI.
4. VW Jetta 118TSI.
3. Mondeo Zetec.
2. Mazda 6.
1. Accord Euro.

The Euro & Mazda 6 have been the leaders in this segment since 2008, but i was surprised the Mondeo finished so high & the Liberty finished so low. I also thought the Kizashi Sport may have finished a little higher. Typically the Camry is still near the bottom of the pack even being the newest release of those tested. If it wasn't for fleet sales the Camry wouldn't rate a mention.

Fredoops
18-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Until I see the review I remain skeptical, how could i45 rank so high above Optima? They are the same car.

I CU2
18-02-2012, 05:09 PM
^ Brand whores.

buddah51au
18-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Until I see the review I remain skeptical, how could i45 rank so high above Optima? They are the same car.

The i45 was not in the comparison, just the i40. In a previous comparison the optima rated above the i45

Fredoops
18-02-2012, 09:40 PM
The i45 was not in the comparison, just the i40. In a previous comparison the optima rated above the i45

i40? along with Jetta and Octavia... this comparison makes even less sense now.

SPQR
18-02-2012, 10:10 PM
There is no Peugeot dealer in the whole of the Northern Territory: Has anyone (in ozhonda) seen a Peugeot 508 in the flesh? Is it as nice looking inside and outside as the photos suggest? Has anyone driven one? It is highly rated in Europe; why does Wheels hate it so much?

jono_l
18-02-2012, 10:14 PM
i40? along with Jetta and Octavia... this comparison makes even less sense now.

Whilst I agree that the new stretched Jetta (although bigger than the previous Golf-with-a-boot) is still a fraction smaller than most others in the segment, the i40 would be pretty much the same size as a Mazda6 or CU2 if it were in sedan form - certainly a mid sized car by any definition.

Never driven a Mondeo before, but would have to agree that the CU2 is a better package than the 6 from a driving dynamics perspective - the CU2 handles no worse but is much more comfortable on patchy roads. The 6 has the better steering feel though, thought the CU2 EPAS setup felt a bit artificial in comparison. Personally not a fan of the Jetta, felt boring, rode a bit harsh and quality isn't what it used to be now that it's made in Mexico.

Fredoops
19-02-2012, 01:23 AM
There is no Peugeot dealer in the whole of the Northern Territory: Has anyone (in ozhonda) seen a Peugeot 508 in the flesh? Is it as nice looking inside and outside as the photos suggest? Has anyone driven one? It is highly rated in Europe; why does Wheels hate it so much?

Cause we're are effectively quasi-American..... Any european FWD that's not German, we simply just aren't interested. Undeniable bias is there. I blame the falcodore culture.

I've sat in the 508, didnt drive it, but it's interior makes the CU2 feel Camry (hell even the optima makes the CU2 interior feel under materialed)

buddah51au
19-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Cause we're are effectively quasi-American..... Any european FWD that's not German, we simply just aren't interested. Undeniable bias is there. I blame the falcodore culture.

I've sat in the 508, didnt drive it, but it's interior makes the CU2 feel Camry (hell even the optima makes the CU2 interior feel under materialed)

I can't say anything regarding the 508, but I had a good look at the Optima including approx 50km test drive on secondary B class roads. To me it has a long way to go before it can get close to the Euro for driving. It was very harsh. the fit & finish was not up to class & while it has a lot of goodies it does nothing for me. I also found the rfont bseats give vey little support, but opinions vary.

Fredoops
19-02-2012, 06:22 PM
I can't say anything regarding the 508, but I had a good look at the Optima including approx 50km test drive on secondary B class roads. To me it has a long way to go before it can get close to the Euro for driving. It was very harsh. the fit & finish was not up to class & while it has a lot of goodies it does nothing for me. I also found the rfont bseats give vey little support, but opinions vary.

The bane of Optima is it's shitty Korean Nexen/Roadstone tyres. Having said that the CPxxxx tyres were rated better than Eagle F1 for wet stop and skid pan during the wheels test. not that it's saying much. anbd optima is a bit under damped.

Having said that. the Infinity sound system unit was the first time I've ever went "wow" in a test drive.... Puts the Mazda6 Bose unit and Euro's Panasonic unit to shame. Maybe because Im asian but the features like sound system, panoramic roof and able to use 93 octane is actually kind of a selling point for me.

The 508 will never get a good reception here, cause we'd rather have RWD expansive, harsh riding, run flat running, uncomfortable 5 series than something like the 508.... else they want an boring arse Audi.

MingZai
19-02-2012, 06:44 PM
The bane of Optima is it's shitty Korean Nexen/Roadstone tyres. Having said that the CPxxxx tyres were rated better than Eagle F1 for wet stop and skid pan during the wheels test. not that it's saying much. anbd optima is a bit under damped.

Having said that. the Infinity sound system unit was the first time I've ever went "wow" in a test drive.... Puts the Mazda6 Bose unit and Euro's Panasonic unit to shame. Maybe because Im asian but the features like sound system, panoramic roof and able to use 93 octane is actually kind of a selling point for me.

The 508 will never get a good reception here, cause we'd rather have RWD expansive, harsh riding, run flat running, uncomfortable 5 series than something like the 508.... else they want an boring arse Audi.

The 5 Series is not uncomfortable ==

Fredoops
19-02-2012, 08:59 PM
The 5 Series is not uncomfortable ==

Run flats + sporty suspension, hard leather, hard dash... compared to the C6 or the Jag XF it is.

ryaan
19-02-2012, 11:17 PM
the 5 series is not uncomfortable.. i have one in my family and i say its so smooth and you dont even feel bumps and shizz.

Irving
20-02-2012, 02:26 AM
The 5 Series is uncomfortable....
The last time one went past me, I felt uncomfortable.:wave:
I feel more comfortable about the Jag XF. Nice looking car. Maybe, I will get one soon...

I am also uncomfortable with WM's review rating the CU2 above the Mondeo with it's engine options and wagon version etc. The Mondeo is the class leader in Europe which makes WM's ratings questionable to say the least. (show me a CU2 that can get 55 or better still 65MPG as the Mondeo does). Ofcourse some may have you believe that their CU2 runs on air, which also makes me uncomfortable....
Yes, very uncomfortable.