PDA

View Full Version : modified vti-r intake manifold and tb

ginganggooly
26-02-2005, 03:01 PM
dyno dave had some ideas for improving the airflow through the stock plenum and throttle body, and i was more than happy to be a test mule so dave went ahead and worked his magic and voila. nice feeling low end, improved top end... and the noise! i love that sound, you wouldn't think that something so small could make such a difference.

i'm yet to dyno it, but my inner ear tells me the mod was worth the pain :)

man.exe
26-02-2005, 04:13 PM
could you perhaps outline what you did? I'm curious...

hong_ung
26-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Yeah me too
Is this mod permanent or can it be changed to its previous state?

wynode
26-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Come on fill us in! :p

DynoDave
27-02-2005, 08:37 AM
Once I have dynoed the mod I will get some pictures posted up.It is a very simple reshape of the throttle body and the entry to the manifold where the throttle body bolts on.The idea came to me as I have been working on the design of a restrictor for a turbo engine in a class of racing that I run a car in and the airflow we have picked up is very good so I just went out paid for a VTiR Integra manifold and throttle body and started to redesigned what the Honda enginneer's had done.All I was looking at with a STD or engine with some small mods done to it was increase airflow and not change the butterfly size as Honda has that correct for Vtec engines and is something I can do for the guys that are not running some sort of engine management system (yes this does work with STD ECU) as the map in Slims car is not modified from the last time I had it on the dyno and his butt dyno told where he could feel the difference and anyone that knows him will tell you he knows his car inside out and how it pulls at any RPM in any gear it is in.PM me if anyone wants this done as we can do it for any Honda EFI throttle body and intake manifold.

Regards Dyno Dave

wynode
28-02-2005, 09:00 AM
Is this only for b-series engines?

egSi
28-02-2005, 09:50 AM
bah!! tell us!

im very interested too!

DynoDave
28-02-2005, 11:22 AM
Is this only for b-series engines?
Win it works on all EFI engines with a single throttle body and plenum type
intake manifolds. All I need is your manifold and throttle body it takes around 4 days to do the mods and get them back to you.Slim will come down and dyno his car on the dyno day so have a chat to him and remember it has not been dynoed since this mod as I am just way to busy till next week to fine tune the mod.
Regards Dyno Dave
PS I will have VTiR Integra as an exchange deal and will over time carry most Honda maniflods and throttle bodies in stock.

egSi
28-02-2005, 11:35 AM
Win it works on all EFI engines with a single throttle body and plenum type
intake manifolds. All I need is your manifold and throttle body it takes around 4 days to do the mods and get them back to you.Slim will come down and dyno his car on the dyno day so have a chat to him and remember it has not been dynoed since this mod as I am just way to busy till next week to fine tune the mod.
Regards Dyno Dave
PS I will have VTiR Integra as an exchange deal and will over time carry most Honda maniflods and throttle bodies in stock.

i want i want :D

SPEEDCORE
28-02-2005, 12:06 PM

:thumbsup: Keep us posted!

DynoDave
28-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Thank you all as the response has just blown me away and as soon as I am happy to post the results you will all be the first to read it.
Regards Dyno Dave

egSi
28-02-2005, 01:42 PM
u got pm dave.

Spoon-Accord
28-02-2005, 06:36 PM
hey dave..

reckon u can hook me up with a H22a one? i think i need one of them :D

Kenny

ginganggooly
28-02-2005, 07:00 PM
well, now i can add a more quantifiable observation-

i hit the injectors with an ultra-sonic cleaner and installed a new fuel pump a couple of weeks ago, after that my fuel economy suffered noticably. it went from 450km a tank (after dynodave's tune) to 300-320 a tank. since adding the throttle body and plenum, i've gone back up to 215km on half a tank (got about 160 before). i guess i could infer that it's leaned it out a bit and is therefore changing airflow, quite dramatically too.

i guess i should reserve final judgement until the dyno day saturday...

be very interesting to see what a little tuning will do.

bennjamin
28-02-2005, 08:58 PM
basically...is this a venturi of sorts ( like a inlet restrictor on WRC cars ? ) ???

DynoDave
28-02-2005, 10:18 PM
Yes that is correct and as I said in my first post about this the idea came from working on a restrictor for the last 3 years for the front of a turbo and how much more air I can get to flow thru by changing the shape to a venturi.What I am doing is nothing new and I am surprised that it is not used alot more but everyone just seems to wack on a bigger throttle body and all is good, well air does not like to flow thru a straight passage so that is how I made this mod work just made it accelerate thru the throttle body and it gives you the benifit of a small throttle butterfly with the airflow of a much larger throttle body.Hope this helps you all in understanding what I have done.
Regards Dyno Dave

basically...is this a venturi of sorts ( like a inlet restrictor on WRC cars ? ) ???

Nuttz
28-02-2005, 10:29 PM
is it like one of those funny plates that being sold a while back? the ones with the holes in it and kind of shaped like a fan??

But anyways congrats on great discovery...

DynoDave
02-03-2005, 06:28 AM
is it like one of those funny plates that being sold a while back? the ones with the holes in it and kind of shaped like a fan??

But anyways congrats on great discovery...

No metal or any funny fan things are installed in this mod it is just reshaping the the throttle body and the entry to the intake manifold.And to all you H22A I got a manifold and throttle body yesterday and have started to machine the mod into that as well I have a car ready to fit it to which I have spent alot of time on the dyno with so it is the purfect car to do testing on.
Regards Dyno Dave
PS I have one of the fan things sitting at work and ready to try when I put Slim's car on the dyno.:D

ginganggooly
19-03-2005, 04:13 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/84dyno1-med.jpg

the red line is with the stock manifold, the green line is from the pull with the modified tb and intake manifold.

the fan thing didn't make 1kw worth of a difference anywhere, maybe if we mounted it closer to the tb...
the blue line was an experiment with a short ram :)