PDA

View Full Version : [CU2] Reversing on a steep hill, clunk noise?!

I CU2
22-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Today on a driveway which is quite steep, I went from Park to Reverse and there was this clunk noise which sounded absolutely horrific. It happened twice, when I picked up and dropped off my passenger on the steep driveway.

In normal situations where the incline isn't as steep or flat it's fine. The first time I heard the clunk was today.

Any idea what it is? Is it normal?

shadou
23-02-2012, 12:04 AM
could it be due the crappy design of the automatic gearbox that when u went from Park to reverse the car backed up/rolled forward before you were able to accelerate?
If that were the case then it's just the gear forcing itself in I think, happens to all Honda Auto boxes from memory, did you have a more difficult time shoving it into R from P ?
It's nothing to worry too much about

Bludger
23-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Sounds normal.

Fredoops
24-02-2012, 11:24 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?154787-CL9-amp-CU2-You-got-Automatic-transmission-*you-ll-WANT-to-read-this*&highlight=automatic

It's Hondamatic

its designed that way, a metal rod physically blocks the GB from moving when placed in park, so when you do park on an angle the extra friction creates that noise.

white_ep3_civic
25-02-2012, 10:57 AM
I think it's just the way the automatic transmissions are. My parents have an auto camery and does the same thing at times.

hondapop
25-02-2012, 11:19 AM
This will happen because either the hand brake was not applied hard enough BEFORE engaging park, or the brake pedal was being used to hold the car. The park "brake" is not actually a brake in the normal sense i.e. if you were rolling along and engaged it, it wouldn't slow you down or stop you. All you would get is a hell of a lot of noise from the G/box and a big fright. (apart from not stopping). What has happened in your instance is that the car has rolled forward/backward and jammed onto the locking pawl (similar to the ratchet on your handbrake) which is fitted to all automatics as a last line of defense against h/brake failure because the trans itself won't stop movement unllike a manual trans where you can put it in a gear as a safety measure. The noise you heard while disengaging the "park" mechanism (better name than brake) was just because of the pressure applied to it.

djpro1
26-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Happens to me on a flat surface too reversing on my 03 CL9. Seems to be a common problem?

hondapop
26-02-2012, 02:27 PM
If you're in the habit of coming to a stop, then putting it in park before applying the hand brake, yes it will happen on the flat as well. Or if the handbrake has only been lightly applied. It's not a problem with the trans, same thing happens with the steering lock on models that have key operated ignition (don't know about the 03's etc) where it can be impossible to turn the key if the steering has swung against the locking mechanism.

binhcat
12-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Here's a tip when parking on a steep hill/drive.
1. Once car has stop, pull hand brake up
2. Put it into neutral and take foot of brake (car will roll slightly back) if you car keeps rolling then you havent pulled the hand brake tight enough
3. Now put it into P

Next time you go to put it into reverse, it will not make that noise.

BigBen
12-03-2012, 08:20 PM
That's a normal sound from most auto transmission. Funny enough I've never notice the clunk noise on high end luxury cars.

Fredoops
12-03-2012, 10:17 PM
That's a normal sound from most auto transmission. Funny enough I've never notice the clunk noise on high end luxury cars.

they arent hondamatic... remember our design are different