PDA

View Full Version : Modifying your P plates

IDV8
23-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Is it illegal to cut out the P of your P plates and stick that on your car? I also noticed I can only stick it on the boot part for the rear of my car, if I try put it on the lower bar where the number plate is it doesn't stick - looks like I don't have a metal bumper bar :(

They seem pretty picky about P plates, had mine stuck inside the window and behind the number plate for about 2 years and never had an issue but was never pulled over either, heard you can be fined for obscuring their view even though a big white P plate on your front window is VERY obvious.

1900-hustler
23-02-2012, 10:16 AM
i dont think there is an issue so long as the P Plate is clearly displayed on the front and rear on the vehicle without any obstruction.

these days you can buy the magnetic ones shaped as the P rather than a square

and in NSW you cant have it in your on your dash
it might be obvious to you but at night its not so easily seen which makes P platers harder to target by police lolol

IDV8
23-02-2012, 10:33 AM
Yeah I get what you mean, thanks for the reply :D Right now I have the back one stuck next to my Honda badge and the other just at the front of the bonnet - guess I can't be pulled over for that, they're VERY noticeable. Thing I hate about that is they're so easy to steal, sister used to have magnetic plates and they were taken twice so may just have to put them in my car whenever I leave it parked.

1900-hustler
23-02-2012, 10:34 AM
yeah dude just take em off when you park

its a hassle but at least it wont get stolen

just remember to put it back on lol

IDV8
23-02-2012, 10:40 AM
True true :D Thanks again mate

IV73CI
23-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Ive seen and heard ppl getting done by the big bruddaz for cutting around the P and just have the P letter displayed without the border.

Reason they say this is because the border acts as a background that suits any colour of the vehicle (which i think is POS) .. and it is not that visible to the eyes from a distance.

so to me, i would take real care of where you go and how u drive. - as once the BB (big brudda) pulls u over ...he maybe nice or a prick.

its best to be safe and just buy yourself the P Plate holder if your worried bout display locations etc.

Otherwise u can custom spray the P plates on your chassis. LOL

IDV8
23-02-2012, 10:49 AM
lmao :D could be an idea, an expensive one though I'm sure - might just have the regular magnetic P plates to avoid any issues, its nice to actually never be pulled up by BB's -.-

duzy
23-02-2012, 10:59 AM
I had mine cut out, without the 100km/h part and my car was white. Didnt have any problems, few cops followed me but nothing

Another story is friend got pulled over for cutting p plate, cop said it was ok if ur car is white? not sure
Also cop said that the p plate must have more than 50% shown

Bludger
23-02-2012, 11:27 AM
I like it when the P plate is a dragon shape

mocchi
23-02-2012, 11:41 AM
just saw a p plater this morning. they stuck the p plate on roof of car.
like taxi cars.

IV73CI
23-02-2012, 01:33 PM
like taxi cars.

Wtf? Lmfao!!

U shoulda taken a pic and post it up in the spam section? Lulululul

dougie_504
23-02-2012, 03:05 PM
I wouldn't risk it personally, don't give them an excuse to dick you. Ask your RTA if you want.

None of our bumpers are metal either dude, all plastic so you don't shred pedestrians when they get in your way :D

Drifter995
23-02-2012, 03:14 PM
like taxi cars.

It's apparently something they're going to try and enforce for l platers I think... Saw an ad on tv.. makes it even easier to see them :|

I'm still not getting this whole 'everywhere but vic and tas you have to have them on the outside of the car' thing.. We have ones you stick to your window, and everything is all good... unless you have tint, then you're probably ****ed. xD

IDV8
23-02-2012, 03:40 PM
My mum saw that and suggested it to me actually, she said shes seen L platers driving with the triangle thing you put on your roof like learner driver instructors and its an L plate on the front back - would completely ruin the aesthetics of my Honda :( lmao .. Well I was around 2-3 cops today driving all day, had my magnetics on the front and back - they look fine and I can't get in trouble so I'll stick with them and just throw them in my car so noone steals them when I leave to go shopping (and strong wtf at stealing L/P plates).

IV73CI
23-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Time to upgrade your P plates to an S plate.

L = lazy drivers
P = pussy drivers
S = skilled drivers

Lol
http://img.tapatalk.com/31b28020-d52f-305e.jpg

simmy
23-02-2012, 04:22 PM
you can cut your p plate out of the white background, but it must be stuck on a white car... pretty stupid..
its so the police can see it,
i drove past a car that has p plates boxed into a cube and tied to his car.

magnets are shit, you leave it on for too long (hood heats up from engine ) or leave it out in the sun, it will leave an oily stain or melt on.
id only put magnets on the back, not on the hood imo

IV73CI
23-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Cut out the P plates and put it in a picture frame then hang it on your car.

To make it extra visible - put neon lights around the frame ftw!!

Lol

Zilli
24-02-2012, 09:39 AM
moved to road laws section

IDV8
24-02-2012, 04:32 PM
I got magnetic ones, end up just putting them in my car when I park - its a bitch but beats having them stolen ..and they look 'okay' lol :P

24-02-2012, 10:00 PM
I saw a guy driving a white ute and he DIY his P plate. What he did is that he use 6 piece of P-plate from the RTA then he use those plate to form like a dice then attach it to the rear tow hook !!

black8thgen
25-02-2012, 11:25 AM
u can cut the P out but has to be on a light colored car.. my mate had it on his black euro and the cops pulled him over saying "what the fuk is that shit mate..."

IV73CI
25-02-2012, 11:39 AM
u can cut the P out but has to be on a light colored car.. my mate had it on his black euro and the cops pulled him over saying "what the fuk is that shit mate..."

Love the corrupt cops language skills.. Lol

But yes its tru...

IDV8
25-02-2012, 02:10 PM
My cars white so an option to consider I guess :D

unl3a5h
25-02-2012, 06:09 PM
asked a cop about it he said it has to be about this much >| .............. |< white surrounding the p i then proceeded to remove my cut out p plate and put a complete p plate as he watched lol

IV73CI
26-02-2012, 09:40 AM
asked a cop about it he said it has to be about this much >| |< white surrounding the p i then proceeded to remove my cut out p plate and put a complete p plate as he watched lol

Pawned by the cops..

Lol

GU357
04-03-2012, 10:34 PM
here in WA the P plate has to be whole. because we have a coloured background with a white P lol. but we are allowed to have them inside the car. ie windows. as long as its visible.

what i dont get is. when i go into the IGA they sell P plates for NSW and Vic in there too. trying to confuse me.

also Why would it matter if people know whether or not we are P plates? its one thing displaying them but adding a sign to the roof of your car?
whether or not ppl know your a P plater seems irrelevant because at the end of the day your still on the road and either next to them, behind, or infront of them. it makes no difference.
but if the law is enforced where we get to put them on the roof, the ultimate one would be cone-ish shaped like a police siren thingy, then when i jump in the car i can put the cherry on top and drive around with lights flashing :P

unl3a5h
05-03-2012, 05:25 PM
they do it to help us spot the other young and attractive drivers :P

GU357
05-03-2012, 08:43 PM
^ +1 lolol

tiksie
12-03-2012, 12:00 PM
here in WA the P plate has to be whole. because we have a coloured background with a white P lol. but we are allowed to have them inside the car. ie windows. as long as its visible.

what i dont get is. when i go into the IGA they sell P plates for NSW and Vic in there too. trying to confuse me.

also Why would it matter if people know whether or not we are P plates? its one thing displaying them but adding a sign to the roof of your car?
whether or not ppl know your a P plater seems irrelevant because at the end of the day your still on the road and either next to them, behind, or infront of them. it makes no difference.
but if the law is enforced where we get to put them on the roof, the ultimate one would be cone-ish shaped like a police siren thingy, then when i jump in the car i can put the cherry on top and drive around with lights flashing :P

Whenever I see a P plater, I swap lanes to move as far away possible. Especially if it's a full car with moehawks and bowlcuts.

If it's a car with just 1 mature looking guy/girl, then I don't mind.

oopoc
12-03-2012, 03:07 PM
I generally avoid red p plates. I only have one on the front window, when I get pulled over I say 'I had one on the rear window, but I decided to put it down and forgot it was on. It's now somewhere behind' they usually laugh and let me go.... Once the cop told me to follow him to the servo and bought me a new set (win). Then one of my mates did the same thing and they riped him a new one.

IDV8
12-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Most the people I have issues with on the road are actually people with no plates .. narrowed it down to late model Holden & Mazda or old model Camry drivers :P Today was a Toyota driver though, 4 wheel drive, looked like a mum driving with her kids in the car in a 70 zone, up my ass, bumped up to 75 and she got even closer so I gave my brakes a little slam and she stayed waaaay back after that :D fkn dumb bish - not only that but I notice a lot of non plated cars driving while on mobiles too, ridiculous.

MR_LATE
12-03-2012, 07:28 PM
buy two p plates
cut out the P
and on the other cut out two squares to resemble this :P problem?

chunky
12-03-2012, 07:48 PM
yeah has to be displayed on a white background

and to add to idv8's post, i come across quite a few full license drivers who cant drive for sh*t
i dno if it was because it was so easy to get their licenses back in the day but the amount of idiotic shit i see on the roads is astounding

Drifter995
12-03-2012, 08:13 PM
yeah... since i've had no license, I've noticed a LOT of people are tailgating and driving like pure idiots... Haven't had anyone try to merge into the lane without seeing the car though... seems to only happen to my car >.>
Tailgaters... how I hate them

IDV8
12-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Saw someone on a scooter nearly taken out the other day simply because the driver wasn't looking .. I don't know how people can be so careless, I love my car and don't take that or my license for granted

kyzz
13-03-2012, 07:01 AM
make sure you don't leave the magnetic ones on for too long, i left mine at the front on for a few months during our hot period, it's melted on to my bonnet now.. fkn hell gonna be a bitch when i get my greens - it's fading too

oopoc
13-03-2012, 07:57 AM
make sure you don't leave the magnetic ones on for too long, i left mine at the front on for a few months during our hot period, it's melted on to my bonnet now.. fkn hell gonna be a bitch when i get my greens - it's fading too

Bugger.... That is the only reason I use ones that stick to your windscreen

unl3a5h
13-03-2012, 06:26 PM

i heard hot water and like a plastic scraper or maybe some fishing line may work

newpaddy3
09-04-2012, 11:33 PM
Why would you want to modify your p plate?

Just use spray paint.