PDA

View Full Version : 15 year import rule dead (possible OFN)

Setanta
26-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Bummer - no more '90-'91 EF8 and EF9s - and there were only a tiny number of them built in '89 as the official release date was '90.

On the plus side - I want to look into the idea that post '90 cars can be SEV'd although the EFs don't have behind bumper reinforcing or intrusion bars - let alone the generic changes for compliancing.

From J-spec:

After many months of speculation, the Minister for Local Government, Territories and Roads, Jim Lloyd has finally announced via media release the discontinuation of the 15 year old rule in it's current guise as of today, February 7th, 2005.

As of this date only vehicles manufactured before January 1st, 1989 will be eligible for import without restriction, vehicles newer will be subject to SEVS eligibility and will need to be complied by a Registered Automotive Workshop. Exemption has been given to anyone who has made a financial commitment prior to today... this means anyone who has purchased a vehicle already but has not yet brought it into the country can still import it under the now old 15 year old guidelines. The evidence necessary will be prove that you have purchased a car before today will most likely be a copy of the transfer of funds for a specific vehicle.

The reasons for this change, according to the media release, is that the importation of 15 year old vehicles is not in line with current government policy regarding the continuous improvement of safety and emissions of vehicles in the Australian fleet, and that the scheme which was intended as a means of enthusiasts to import older, unusual vehicles is currently being used as a 'loophole' to import cars which don't meet this criteria.

The media release also makes mention of the the rule being extended to a 30 year old rule after this current 'buffer period' expires, however the specific workings of this and its implementation are not discussed.

There are some 15 year old vehicles currently still in Japan for which J-Spec Imports' agents have Australian import approval for, and as such can still be imported even after today. We will indicate which of these vehicles on our mailing list can still be purchased and imported shortly.

J-Spec Imports will NOT increase prices on any vehicles we have control over to capitalize on any panic which may ensue as a result of this change, we do however expect vehicles to sell quickly as they are the last and only chance to import certain models manufactured after Jan 1st, 1989.

For anyone who wishes to read the full media release it can be found here:
http://www.j-spec.com.au/MediaRelease.pdf

And an FAQ on the changes to these laws:
http://www.j-spec.com.au/FAQ.pdf

McChook
27-02-2005, 12:48 AM
ahahaha, um, that's only a gazette... mate bought a Mitsi GTO today... law has not yet changed..... end of march....

zigengt
27-02-2005, 06:46 AM
Yeah, can someone confirm if this new law is indeed in effect? Cos Jspec is still selling cars that are 1989 & above

McChook
27-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Yeah, can someone confirm if this new law is indeed in effect? Cos Jspec is still selling cars that are 1989 & above
NO IT ISN'T IN EFFECT!!!!

I'm pretty sure I made it clear above dude...

Setanta
27-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Yep - but you'll notice that j-spec's bulletins are leaning towards '89s now. Currently, if you have the transaction in progress (eg waiting for the car to arrive) up to the cutoff date then it will be ok.

jackosimm
27-02-2005, 06:29 PM
ive heard about this change, sounds good:thumbsup:

JDM Element
28-02-2005, 03:48 AM
sounds good??
i was aiming at an rx7 fd in a couple of years!
looks like ill have to look at the ones already here..... :(

I guess it okay for ppl selling their cars...

Civ_97
28-02-2005, 11:33 AM
why not just save a lil longer and get a series 8 cause from what i hear they will be easier to get over here under the new laws.

Disciple
28-02-2005, 11:34 PM
for the dumbies like my self, this means that no cars unless 15 years and older will be allowed for import?

Dominik
01-03-2005, 11:17 PM
No. It means that 1989 and newer cars must be imported under the SEVS scheme, which basically means the car must be completely stock, and it it cant have been sold in Australia through dealerships (i.e. No Honda Civics, Toyota Celsiors (Lexus LS400s), no mercs, NSX etc).

I wouldnt complain so much except that the SEVS scheme is failing (depending on which side you are on). Even if the car wasnt sold here, a workshop must spend tens of thousands of dollars to get the 'right' to comply and register that type of car. Today, over a year since they introduced the scheme, only a handful of types of cars have had this 'right' granted - Skylines (of course), Soarers, Delica (wtf??), and a couple of others. And because it has to be completely stock when it is complied, you will never get a VIP car or worked turbo over here.

Basically, if we want an interesting car from Japan, we are SOL... With the passing of this rule, It must be 88 or older (not much choice there), OR a stock standard Skyline, Soarer or Delica.

Yippee. :(

**Ghost**
02-03-2005, 02:30 PM
dont u gusy reckon the elimination of this rule will encourage Honda/Toyota/etc in Australia to bring in their new models tho?

heist
02-03-2005, 03:40 PM
dont u gusy reckon the elimination of this rule will encourage Honda/Toyota/etc in Australia to bring in their new models tho?

hell no...they havent in the past and they wont now...

Dominik
02-03-2005, 09:52 PM
There's no chance. Australia doesnt have a big enough car market. Thats the problem - Its not economically viable for the car companies to bring fast/expensive/unique cars to australia becaise we wouldnt buy them in high enough quantities.

The only way to keep some variety on our roads was through a small trickle of imported cars that were available to us. Now that trickle has been restricted to a very slow drip...

temeike
09-03-2005, 03:53 PM
lucky i brough one be4 it change

gambate
12-05-2005, 03:03 PM
confirm dead on 13th May 2005 at 0000 hours

civ_sik
13-05-2005, 08:26 AM
awww so no more?

SINISTR
13-05-2005, 11:37 AM
There's no chance. Australia doesnt have a big enough car market. Thats the problem - Its not economically viable for the car companies to bring fast/expensive/unique cars to australia becaise we wouldnt buy them in high enough quantities.

The only way to keep some variety on our roads was through a small trickle of imported cars that were available to us. Now that trickle has been restricted to a very slow drip...

Australia is too TIGHT! thats the best explanation - they simply want to promote all the Fords and Holdens they can - since there is no restriction on power. Its their way of maintaining the interest.

If you guys notice there has been MORE and MORE imports driving around the place recently than any time before - simply cos every teen that could would import a skyline, sylvia etc - all modified high performance car... so the govt basically is closing down on that!

Terry
13-05-2005, 01:05 PM
wish i can get the EG-9 here.......haha:D

Nodachi
13-05-2005, 01:20 PM
they closed it before we could import nsx..:(

JDM.Power
13-05-2005, 02:30 PM
damn..thats ghey!

tRipitaka
13-05-2005, 02:35 PM
they closed it before we could import nsx..:(

doesn't NZ sell NSXs ?

civ_sik
13-05-2005, 03:54 PM
yea they have a fair few running around over there

Nightrider
18-05-2005, 12:22 AM
[QUOTE=SINISTR]Australia is too TIGHT! thats the best explanation - they simply want to promote all the Fords and Holdens they can - since there is no restriction on power. Its their way of maintaining the interest.

the question is who is they and why? ;)

I think it sucks how the re- elected Howard Federal Gov't is taking it upon itself to represent the interests of multi-national big businesses: Ford, Holden and Mitsubishi ahead of a tiny minority of enthusiasts/small businesses involved in the importation of discarded vehicles from Japan - an enviromentally friendly iniative as no further energy required to produce.

I think that changes like this reflect the Howard Governments values and a payoff for mates - bully boy multi nationals- not "Aussie" firms.

Its not to late to try and influence, after all they are your Federal Government and are accountable to you the voter. Something to remember around next election I reckon ;)

CTR Coupe
18-05-2005, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=SINISTR]Australia is too TIGHT! thats the best explanation - they simply want to promote all the Fords and Holdens they can - since there is no restriction on power. Its their way of maintaining the interest.

the question is who is they and why? ;)

I think it sucks how the re- elected Howard Federal Gov't is taking it upon itself to represent the interests of multi-national big businesses: Ford, Holden and Mitsubishi ahead of a tiny minority of enthusiasts/small businesses involved in the importation of discarded vehicles from Japan - an enviromentally friendly iniative as no further energy required to produce.

I think that changes like this reflect the Howard Governments values and a payoff for mates - bully boy multi nationals- not "Aussie" firms.

Its not to late to try and influence, after all they are your Federal Government and are accountable to you the voter. Something to remember around next election I reckon ;)

It doesn’t really matter who was in power. The labour government would have done the same thing. The big companies have 4 people full time in Camberra that lobby the government for what they want.
Infact I think the labour government would have done it even earlier to "protect Australian workers" in the car industry.

Nodachi
18-05-2005, 10:26 PM
ah.. lets go over the NZ and get one over there...:D import it after a year..;) actulli.. i might have contact over there who could do it for me for the right money..^^

civ_sik
19-05-2005, 09:19 PM
yea we should all get crazy jdm spec cars from over there cheaply...