PDA

View Full Version : 22mm rear sway bar fitted to Gen 2 CRV (now with pics!)

Jaymz
26-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Hi Guys,

We are limited to any suspension components here for Gen 2's so i'm having as much as i can custom made to get what i want.

Just had a rear sway bar made, its 22mm and cost around $250 landed on my doorstep.
Just took it for a quick ride and even with the soggy std suspension this is an awesome upgrade and nearly all of the body roll has gone.

I only drove it at 60k's but at this speed it is immediately noticeable.

Turn in is excellent also and gives the front end a lighter feel even when doing slow speed u turns.

Well worth the money if anyone is considering.

Only took me 30 minutes to get the old one out and the new one in.

Here's the bar
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h371/JamieandKristieH/P1000786.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h371/JamieandKristieH/P1000783.jpg

I used the stock links and nuts but I will upgrade the nuts to nylocks.
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h371/JamieandKristieH/P1000685-1.jpg

Came with Urethane bushes and new mounts (& lots of grease!)
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h371/JamieandKristieH/P1000764.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h371/JamieandKristieH/P1000683.jpg

IV73CI
27-02-2012, 09:09 AM
which car is this for?

CRV?

RSBs are generally the best bung for sussy upgrades.

helps eliminate sways at cornering and provides a better/safer driving experience.

will work better with HD endlinks, lowered vehicle height, better shocks/suspension and some decent tyres.

time to take it to the tracks! :p

Jaymz
28-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Yeh CRV. No definitely not a track car, if anyone thinks just because you can lower a SUV its a track car then you're way off track, excuse the pun!

The Gen 2 CRV is a great buy at the moment and is imho a better car than the volume selling Rav.
The suspension is a good design but they realised when considering the facelift in the Gen 2.5 that it needed a little work. They upgraded the rear sway but from what i know they went from a hollow bar to a solid, only a small upgrade.

So changing to a 22 mm rear bar has made a good family car a great handling family car and imo a much safer car. So the pursuit here is safety not performance.
Also as it has 100,000k's on it the struts have started to leak so ive ordered KYB struts from the states as they're not available here and i'm in the process of getting Kings to make a std height/tension variable rate spring so its more compliant over bumps.
If anyone has one of these CRV's, these springs should be available soon.

By the way, what are RSB's and sussy's???

Cheers

dougie_504
28-02-2012, 09:13 AM
'Rear Sway Bar' and 'Suspension'

IV73CI
28-02-2012, 10:34 AM
'Rear Sway Bar' and 'Suspension'

+1

If only i could braz..

Jaymz
05-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Ok ive had the bar in for only 2 weeks and unfortunately ive had one of those rare occasions where a bush has failed.
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h371/JamieandKristieH/P1000758.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h371/JamieandKristieH/P1000760.jpg

Now i must give Todd from Signature Sway Bars a plug here as he has confirmed that this is rare (especially inside of 2 weeks on a road car) and he has posted me 2 new bushes at no charge:thumbsup: So big thumbs up here as he couldve easily told me to PO.
So as soon as these arrive i'll put the bar back in with the new nylocks.

Another plug must go out to Pat from Wholesale Suspension as he gave me great advice on setting the car up for what i really needed and wanted to achieve. So Ive just had a set of KYB's fitted and it feels great for a road car, let alone a SUV (So thanks again for the advice Pat).
So it'll be a brand new car with the rear bar refitted. My wife will have the fastest baby hauler out on the road lol

IV73CI
05-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Ok ive had the bar in for only 2 weeks and unfortunately ive had one of those rare occasions where a bush has failed.
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h371/JamieandKristieH/P1000758.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h371/JamieandKristieH/P1000760.jpg

Now i must give Todd from Signature Sway Bars a plug here as he has confirmed that this is rare (especially inside of 2 weeks on a road car) and he has posted me 2 new bushes at no charge:thumbsup: So big thumbs up here as he couldve easily told me to PO.
So as soon as these arrive i'll put the bar back in with the new nylocks.

Another plug must go out to Pat from Wholesale Suspension as he gave me great advice on setting the car up for what i really needed and wanted to achieve. So Ive just had a set of KYB's fitted and it feels great for a road car, let alone a SUV (So thanks again for the advice Pat).
So it'll be a brand new car with the rear bar refitted. My wife will have the fastest baby hauler out on the road lol

Dude..

That D bushing doesnt look lubricated man.. Looks dry as ****.

Who ever installed it, forgot to lube the D bushes, hence this is why it failed in half..

Dang!!!

Jaymz
05-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Dude..

Who ever installed it, forgot to lube the D bushes, hence this is why it failed in half..

Dang!!!

Dude im an old hand at spinning spanners & I can assure you it was well lubricated. Look at the top shots.
It was wipped clean for the pic

IV73CI
05-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Mayb.. Hard to tell 100% by the pics.

Yeh but it would be very rare for that to happen..

Reason why mentioned lube coz 15yrs ago on me first car.. Had a similar bushing issue, but it was due to no or minimal lube was used, even incorrect compound i believe..

So are they going to replace the D bush?

na-118
05-03-2012, 09:58 PM
these d bushes do not need to be lubricated

Dude..

Dang!!!

IV73CI
05-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Why may i ask?

Where all or most them instructs to lube the D mounts accordingly to allow roll sway when required.

Curious to knw...

na-118
05-03-2012, 10:05 PM
sorry boss,

are these nylon or rubber?

nylon you don't have to

IV73CI
05-03-2012, 10:10 PM
According to the OP.. Utherane (hard rubber compound)??

Hmmm..

Ive seen nylons lubed too.. I guess its a matter of choice should they wish to be lubed or not.. Lol..

Jaymz
06-03-2012, 07:37 AM
are these nylon or rubber?

nylon you don't have to

Hi na-118,

Todd from Signature Sway Bars tells me the bushes are Urethane and are the softer 70 Duro rather than the STD 80 Duro.
He advised that these are to be lubricated on installation and grease was supplied with bar, bushes and mounts.

From his experience he said that although this is not common for this to happen, manufacture faults can happen to anything. So based on his experience its more likely a rare fault in the product and he has posted 2 more bushes out to me.

Cheers,
Jamie

IV73CI
06-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Hi na-118,

Todd from Signature Sway Bars tells me the bushes are Urethane and are the softer 70 Duro rather than the STD 80 Duro.
He advised that these are to be lubricated on installation and grease was supplied with bar, bushes and mounts.

From his experience he said that although this is not common for this to happen, manufacture faults can happen to anything. So based on his experience its more likely a rare fault in the product and he has posted 2 more bushes out to me.

Cheers,
Jamie

Thats good news bra..

Excellent service and theyre giving u two bushes...

This time put shitloads of lube to be sure.. :)

dougie_504
08-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Hi na-118,

Cheers,
Jamie

Well just see how you go with the new bushes then, time will tell.

Hopefully just got a random bad egg!

senna
09-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Not all Poly is created equal! Lubrication is required to stop squeaking and tearing of the bushes

Jaymz
24-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Hi Guys,

The new bushes turned up and they're the harder 80Duro Eurethane. I tried an experiment and put the harder bush in the pas side where the previous one had failed without lube and lubed the bejesus out of the softer one on the drivers side and low and behold the softer one failed within a day. It actually ripped it completely out, tore the side out of it, and was still sitting on the swaybar but next to the D shackle.

So i cleaned up the bar and the bushes, with no lube at all, and put the harder bushes in both sides. Have had them in now for a week and no problems at all.
No squeeks or anything audible from the back, so until i hear anything i break out the lube again.

So it leads me to believe that the 70 Duro is too soft but could be inconclusive as i never got to try without lube.

Anyway thanks again to Todd for supplying the replacements, so far so good.

Oh and Pat, thanks again for the advice on the struts. All fitted up with the STD springs and its made a dramatic improvement.

Cheers,
Jamie

senna
24-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Glad It's worked out for you Jamie!