PDA

View Full Version : B18b2 manual & auto engine technical differences

Lukey
27-02-2012, 08:15 PM
hey guys, i picked up a b18b2 replacement engine for my dc4 that came out of an auto.

now obviously i need to take off the auto and put my manual box on it

but i was talking to one of the recently qualified mechanics and he said when he did the same in his fairlane (auto to manual) that he had to change one end of the big end bearings shims or spacers as there was different clearances in end flow of the crank in autos and manuals.

hope that makes sense and someone is able to help me out.

GSi_PSi
27-02-2012, 08:32 PM
dude no need to change shiz, just remove the auto bock , dem gay torque converter and wack on the flywheel,clutch and gearbock from ur gsi psi

my b20b8 was an auto before it got the vtec headjob

Lukey
28-02-2012, 04:53 PM
haha righto.

and does anyone know if the intermediate shaft/half shaft/mid shaft is different between the auto and manual?

mocchi
28-02-2012, 04:55 PM
haha righto.

and does anyone know if the intermediate shaft/half shaft/mid shaft is different between the auto and manual?

check part number using oemacura

2MPRS
28-02-2012, 06:41 PM
its all the same the only thing you would need to change is that plate you connect the accel cable to as auto and manual are diff

Lukey
28-02-2012, 07:05 PM
oemacura parts had different part numbers for the entire half shaft as an assembly

mocchi
28-02-2012, 07:13 PM
oemacura parts had different part numbers for the entire half shaft as an assembly

then most likely half shaft is different.
like in K series, the auto/manual half shaft is pretty much identical.
offset about 10mm or around there so cant tell by eye.

just bin the halfshaft ukley, use your one.

for the axles, swap them boots before you do the engine swap
and use service manual to measure length of axles if youre knocking out the outer joint.
also pay attention to the rubber balancer on the shafts, it might be different between auto/manual idk.

buy the boot band tool from ebay or something to tighten cv boot bands.

Lukey
28-02-2012, 07:21 PM
i was gonna just use the ones i got with the engine when i eventually swap it all in?

IV73CI
28-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Dude..

Ditch the auto tranny and the flywheel.

Put your old newly machined flywheel and manual gbox and put the ****en motor in..

Everything else should bolt up.. And if need be, use your old IM,TB, Ac/PS if your worried about fitment.

Even the harness should all clip on except 1 which u wont need like the transmission oil sensor plug - this on the auto tranny .

My old JDM B16a was an auto.. All i did was put this mofo into my old concerto and used a cable EF JDM crx box and sourced out an P30 manual ecu.

Whopppp

JPR28610
29-02-2012, 03:44 PM
also make sure you use those 6 flywheel bolts for the flywheel only.

since the torque converter is abit thicker, the bolts will be different size.