PDA

View Full Version : eg civic - think my motor has blown? rebuild or go for da VTECH!

christofski_dc5
27-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Hey guys thanks if you help me out (in advance)

So ive had a the luxury of late to have a couple of cars, still on my p's but i own a JDM S15 for when i get my full license in may this year, and since i drive to work about 5mins away from home, ive been driving the s15 everywhere.

ive got a car meant for my daily, an eg civic 1992 i think?

my problem is, i went away for about 2 weeks at the start of this year, let my friends use my car and well pretty sure they thrashed the shit out of it, or drove it with no oil. cause when i got back from my holiday, when i was driving it, it had a really clunky noise.
i topped it up with oil cause it was low, and then it was driving a bit better, drove to work and back that thinking it was the clutch cause it kept stalling at low revs, so i was like driving a bit erradict.

lucky for me my brother is a mechanic, so im towing it to his workshop tomorrow for him to have a look.

i got a spare 5k in the bank, but i dont wanna throw money at an eg civic. the shell in it is pretty straight, interior is immaculate, its just the motor now.

how much would it be for a rebuild for the car? its the si model so no vtec?

and instead would it be worth just grabbing a b18 motor and swapping, ive seen ones going for 2500. and since labour is free for me, whats your guys opinions?

id probably sell it about june or i may keep the car for a little bit?21177

so open to suggestions?

i mean another scenario would be to sell the car as a rolling shell?
how muhc does an eg civic with rego fetch for these days?

jdm18c
27-02-2012, 09:00 PM
just go wreckers man get a second hand motor and chuck it in

Red_EG4
27-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Give it to your mates and invoice them for the cost

na-118
27-02-2012, 10:02 PM
just get a replacement motor, like you said it's a civic why pour 5k into it, pour 5k into your s15 :)

dougie_504
27-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Just a D16A8. $300-500 max. If the labour is free you're winning even more, but for $300-500 you can probably afford new seals/rings/bearings or close to. Plus a bit for engine workshop labour (checking the block/head) and if your brother does the rebuild for free it would probably be my choice to have it reco'd. Never know what you'll get in a 2nd hand motor after all. A healthy D16A8 pulls quite nicely for what it is.

Certainly wouldn't bother with an engine conversion, just mod the S15 with the rest of the $$$. Larger FMIC, exhaust, intake, fuel setup, tuning etc. Will make plenty of ponies for you :)

FAITHLESS
28-02-2012, 12:04 AM
just get a replacement motor, like you said it's a civic why pour 5k into it, pour 5k into your s15 :)

you make me feel like a money waster lol.
but yeah if your civic is your daily car. keep it as a daily. don't go pouring money into two cars. a replacement engine will be cheap as.

white_ep3_civic
28-02-2012, 03:39 PM
I would just put a standard motor back in like said before or if you can get by without a car till you get your fulls you would probably be better of just selling it as a rolling shell.

zhong
29-02-2012, 12:30 AM
Rebuild it, and sell it when you can drive your S15. Be worth alot more methinks.

Or wreck it and sell me your lip.