PDA

View Full Version : DIY carports? anyone tried?

manonastick
29-02-2012, 02:31 AM
Anyone tried making the simplest carport using wood? I hate leaving my car out in the sun so i thinking of constructing carport with wood(since its cheap). I have space for a car port just can't think of a simple design that will hold up against the harsh aussie climate. Just want to ask anyone who attempted this before i seriously make plans for it.

Something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIfMmVemc4c&feature=player_embedded) would do

Drifter995
29-02-2012, 03:06 AM
i'd consider making one to fit in the little area infront of my unit.. try and give it sides, and leave a bit open in front of the window so I can see in. maybe even give it a door.

Could work. but it'd have to be portable..
Anyway, never tried, but I imagine it'd work.. just need to treat the wood or something so it doesn't degrade or something, i imagine.. (assuming you are making it out of wood)

manonastick
29-02-2012, 03:15 AM
Yeah im thinking of using wood. Im thinking of using lacquer coat too prevent wear and stuff. I actually have a garage + carport already but taken my parents cars.
but i think i need council permit before doing anything now i think about it lol.

Cartoon
29-02-2012, 04:43 AM
For a car Porto wouldn't worry about council unless ya going to build it properly.

Timber will work but will need robe built correctly as u will be putting large loads on it with a roof and such during wind.

After all the hassle of timber an aluminum set up mounted correctly on a conc slab and fully classed would be better

Bludger
29-02-2012, 07:50 AM
inb4carportfallsoncar.

JPR28610
29-02-2012, 08:47 AM
For a car Porto wouldn't worry about council unless ya going to build it properly.

Timber will work but will need robe built correctly as u will be putting large loads on it with a roof and such during wind.

After all the hassle of timber an aluminum set up mounted correctly on a conc slab and fully classed would be better

agreed, why not go metal supports. buy yourself a welder, drop saw and grinder then your set!

bennjamin
29-02-2012, 09:03 AM
id get a nice quality fitted car-cover. IE honda OEM car cover.....thats just me.
Anthing DIY or fold-up is flimsy, will age quickly and qill likely fall over onto your car

mocchi
29-02-2012, 09:34 AM
i probably would weld metal posts and use tarp to make a tent like carport

dougie_504
29-02-2012, 12:25 PM
My CRX is under a tarp held up by poles and ropes.

Take my advice and build a temporary A-frame to support the structure and tarp properly. Heavy rain = fail

EKVTIR-T
29-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Bunnings sell these quite cheap.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/resources.ashx/Products/6182.800.800.0.0.90/images_mainImage/7DB95007F1538ABC5676EC57F9E9A0E8/3191044.jpg

Just cover the sides with some cheap plastic sheet

hondapop
29-02-2012, 02:01 PM
If you want something that can be removed and re-erected elsewhere if necessary and does give good weather protection, maybe consider one of these. Not cheap by any means but at least it should last.
http://www.shadesheds.com.au/garage-sheds-car-cover.html

curtis265
29-02-2012, 02:28 PM
buy a car cover or a proprietary product as posted above.

building one yourself will land you in hot water if it breaks and you can even get into trouble with the LGA.

You may also need your design to be signed off by a chartered engineer so it's seriously not worth the effort.

You can be sued if it blows over and damages people's property

mugen_ctr
29-02-2012, 04:32 PM
U can make ur own, but depends on the design and how far u wanna go with it.... Where do ppl get this an that about it breaking ahahahha, if u build it correct and structurally sound it wont fall over, simple as that... built 2 car ports now, and must say theyve never toppled over or crashed in harsh melb freak weathers!

http://www.capitalsteelbuildings.com.au/assets/images/Carport-Frame.JPG

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeJrQ2GM5ytS7qx-cmkOBz29qiYkiLxl4I1JubOtWEpVrSWoYy

A simple frame like this, is easy to do it and build/cut/saw outta wood, or u can alternative buy a car port diy kit, and erect it urself....for roofing than simply just screw on or bolt on some corrugated panels for the roof, as far as the drainage, its pretty simply really, just add some roof gutters to the side

Bludger
29-02-2012, 04:49 PM
what's your estimate of material cost for bottom picture?

manonastick
01-03-2012, 12:44 AM
thanks guys now i have some idea what to do lol
Did you draw the design for the first pic ctr? cause i like that simple design

mugen_ctr
01-03-2012, 10:43 AM
what's your estimate of material cost for bottom picture?

Not sure man, considering its all metal frame design, id imagine it wont be that cheap

thanks guys now i have some idea what to do lol
Did you draw the design for the first pic ctr? cause i like that simple design

google lol, but a simple frame design, not something thats hectik all out architectural pro design engineering mastered qualifed, isnt needed for a roof over the car

dougie_504
01-03-2012, 12:46 PM
So use wood instead, nothing wrong with that. Corrugated iron isn't that expensive either.

aznstyler
01-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Look on eBay :)

Cartoon
01-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Dude. I'll design and draw u one that will attach to the side of your house with out falling down! It's not that hard, timber in ground is ok but I rather aluminum.

U could even build it out of scaffold ;) heaps of options! Depends on exactly what u want

Bludger
01-03-2012, 07:08 PM
The OP is trying to get away with as little cost as possible.

hondapop
01-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Timber ain't cheap either, time to do some plans and costings. Also check with your local council for the necessary bylaws and permits that will more than likely be required. (anything bigger than a 3 x 3mtr garden shed usually does)

mugen_ctr
01-03-2012, 09:02 PM
For cost measurement, id say stick to wooden frame design with metal corrugated roofing and some plastic see through corrugated sections to allow more light to get in, cant get more simpler than that, and wont cost that much.....

If budget was no cost, than i guess u wouldnt ask a forum for help but a firm to help design it lol

manonastick
04-03-2012, 10:42 PM
^^^^^
As the man says
thanks guys anyways
If all works out ill write a DIY article lol

amant02
05-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Buy one of those self errecting ones, we bought one from bunnings when my family 1st moved to aust approx 12 years ago, we have moved to about 3 units, 2 townhouses and 2 houses and its still standing strong on the side of my house. Cost us $340.

PS: its like a BIG ASS GAZiBO

WATAJK
05-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Anyone tried making the simplest carport using wood? I hate leaving my car out in the sun so i thinking of constructing carport with wood(since its cheap). I have space for a car port just can't think of a simple design that will hold up against the harsh aussie climate. Just want to ask anyone who attempted this before i seriously make plans for it.

Something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIfMmVemc4c&feature=player_embedded) would do

Was going to say that design is more of a carpentry job... Not something for the faint hearted D.I.Y person as theres alot involved in that.
Making sure everything is nailed, bolted and cross braced correctly is key to making sure it doesn't fall down.

If you were in Melbourne, i'd be more than happy to help, but I'd be making it out of steel instead of wood, yes its more expensive but much more durable.
The timber you see as "cheap" is pine, very good at absorbing moisture and then rotting, oh and also buckling which ruins the design...
Treated Pine is the only way to go when using timber for something outdoors but this is where it gets abit $$$ so this is why i say if you can afford that bit more coin use Steel.

You can make something alot more simple then that mate, if you would like some help with a design i can help if you want.
Something like this is very simple, just depends on the room you have available and where you'd like to put it.
Please before you make a decision on what you wanna do, make sure you think about your ideal lifespan of the carport...
Eg. How long do you wanna keep it for etc...

Small Note: Please remember for what Timber is, it's not that cheap. It's not durable for outdoors.