PDA

View Full Version : CL9 - Manual Gearbox Issue - Shake

dirlok
29-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Hello,

I've searched a few posts and couldnt find anything about my specific issue.

I've got an 04' 6speed CL9 and I'm having some issues with my gearbox. The issues only occurs in 3rd gear. I'll be driving along normally and shift up to 3rd gear and under acceleration the car shakes, it feels like gearbox/transmission shake. All other gears are fine.

The shake occurs at all speeds. I've also had the dreaded 80km/h shake fixed previously, so its not this issue.

Any ideas?

Thank you

HunterZero
29-02-2012, 10:44 AM
How far has the car gone? How long since the last gear oil change?

- HZ

dirlok
29-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Car has done about 140,000kms. Last gearbox oil change was just in December, when I had the clutch changed.

HunterZero
29-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Have you checked the level of gear oil since they did it?

If no problem with gear oil, it sounds like a problem either with gearbox debris or damage to the 3rd gear, or more likely a problem with the 3rd gear synchro/selector/linkage not engaging the gear properly.

And did they use the correct gear oil? Honda gearboxes are very fussy about the gear oil used, you really need to use Honda MTF.

- HZ

dirlok
29-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I've not checked the oil levels since they did it. I'm not sure how to be honest. I also doubt they used Honda oil.

Could a simple thing like oil be causing a gear box shake? Is it possible to change this myself?

Lets pretend it isnt the oil. What kind of cost (roughly) is involved in getting the synchro's or the like like repaired?

Thanks

mocchi
29-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I've not checked the oil levels since they did it. I'm not sure how to be honest. I also doubt they used Honda oil.

Could a simple thing like oil be causing a gear box shake? Is it possible to change this myself?

Lets pretend it isnt the oil. What kind of cost (roughly) is involved in getting the synchro's or the like like repaired?

Thanks

2-3g.

dirlok
29-02-2012, 11:16 AM
ouch. I'm guessing buying a second hand box is better option?

mocchi
29-02-2012, 11:18 AM
ouch. I'm guessing buying a second hand box is better option?

if you buy second hand from US
and diy the gbox swap yourself then it would be cheaper yes.

otherwise it will be more expensive maybe.
this is just my opinion, not fact. call up workshops for facts.

HunterZero
29-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Yes, improper oil can cause problems like the one you are seeing as components don't get lubricated properly. I think it's most likely improper oil that's causing your problem.

Owner's manual has details about transmission fluid, but I'd probably query the workshop where you had the clutch done to ask what MTF they use, if it wasn't a Honda workshop. They might be nice to you and flush the gearbox and replace with proper Honda MTF.

Cost for gearbox rebuild... Couldn't really say, but it's going to be expensive. If they only fix the synchro/gear mesh on 3rd, they won't replace the whole gearbox, so we're not talking 2g-3g.

- HZ

mocchi
29-02-2012, 11:20 AM
buy the honda mtf yourself and give it to your mechanic?
your mech would probably charge twice as much for generic trans oil anyway

dirlok
29-02-2012, 11:50 AM
thanks guys. I'll do the oil change first and see what happens. I'll purchase the Honda MTF and give to my mech.

tony1234
29-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Engine,gearbox mount??Get a good mechanic to check it out.Better than getting advice from us.

dirlok
05-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Thanks for all your advice guys. I took it back to my mechanic. They've checked it all out and reckon its the driveshaft? This mechanic I've used for the last 10 years and trust him. I just dont understand how it could be the driveshaft, wouldnt the shake occur ALL the time if it was the driveshaft, not just under acceleration?

HunterZero
06-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks for all your advice guys. I took it back to my mechanic. They've checked it all out and reckon its the driveshaft? This mechanic I've used for the last 10 years and trust him. I just dont understand how it could be the driveshaft, wouldnt the shake occur ALL the time if it was the driveshaft, not just under acceleration?

Sounds a bit bizarre to me if the problem only happens in 3rd. Get a 2nd opinion perhaps?

- HZ

Benson
06-03-2012, 11:12 AM
From the sounds of things, your drive shaft will need replacing

Which side is the vibration coming from?

dirlok
06-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Hard to say exactly which side the vibration is coming from, im going to say more from the drivers side as it seems to pull that way a little more (ever so slightly).

Either way, he reckons the driveshaft is gone and needs replacing anyway, much cheaper than a gearbox fix. I'll let you know tomorrow how it feels.

Thanks again

cheapdouchebag
06-03-2012, 04:32 PM
I just dont understand how it could be the driveshaft, wouldnt the shake occur ALL the time if it was the driveshaft, not just under acceleration?

you are incorrect. driveshaft fault is common with the cl9's. ive had mine replaced.
my car would shake like haywire if its only 1km over 100km/h. doesnt matter what gear im in. and it only happens when gas pedal is pressed if you let go of the gas pedal you shouldnt feel it at all.

it was a real pain repair for me. simply because i wasnt keen on having just the housings replaced/modified/reconditioned. Honda wanted 1grand per side for a new driveshaft, and they failed at finding an aftermarket one.
I did however end up finding a set on ebay which was about $300 delivered to melbourne with 2 years warranty. and they are in my car at the moment and have fully rectified the issue.

Unless your mechanic has fantastic connections, accord euro driveshafts arent the easiest part to source and mechanics generally estimate the price of driveshafts to the average price of other cars. But my fingers are crossed for you! i hope you dont struggle as much as i did!

HunterZero
07-03-2012, 10:29 AM

Does the shake occur at a specific speed that happens to be while you are in 3rd?

If you trust the mechanic and he says driveshaft, then that's what you should go with.

I don't think you have anything to be worried about by using exchange reconditioned driveshafts. I think they just grind out the original housing/shaft and replace the bearings with slightly larger ones. It would be easier to claim on warranty if there are any problems.

- HZ

dirlok
15-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Alright, sorry for the delay in the update.

It was the driveshaft.

Got it replaced and the car is perfect now! Thanks for your feedback 'cheapdouchebag' that really helped out. My mechanic didnt have any issues sourcing the set of reconditioned ones, only pay $900 fitted, which I was happy with. Sourcing them yourself would have saved me money, but I didnt have the time to wait for this due to work.

Thanks again everyone