PDA

View Full Version : EK/EG Speedo/ODO Bench Test?

sebtoombs
02-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Hey all,
I want to put the whole speedo unit into my EG cluster from my new engine, so that the km's match. (EK4 B16A2). Now, without everyone getting into the legalities/ethics of doing such a thing, I need some help with the electrical side.

Apart from the fact that the unit doesn't actually fit into the EG cluster - which I can fix - the EK unit has an extra wire. So the EG has 12V, GND and SPEED, and the EK has those 3 plus ODO. Now I want to get it working on the bench to see if its possible to put it into the EG. From what I can gather, the speed input (direct output from the VSS) is a square wave Vmin=0V and Vmax=5V. Can anyone confirm? And if anyone can confirm, do you have any idea what the freq./duty cycle (in assuming 50% for duty) should be?

My next question is, does anyone know what the ODO input is? The EG unit presumably calculates this internally from the VSS?

Help would be just dandy...

the animal
03-03-2012, 10:04 PM
wouldnt it be better and alot more easy to get a eg cluter with 50 or 100 km more or less ?

sebtoombs
04-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Yes. That wasn't my question though. Anyone?

ECU-MAN
04-03-2012, 10:30 PM
both EG and EK speedo works on the same frequency and voltage.

sebtoombs
05-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Are you saying that the input to the ODO wire should be EXACTLY the same as the SPEED input? I.e. I can just give both the output from the VSS?

ECU-MAN
05-03-2012, 10:11 AM
what Im saying, is the EG and EK share the same signal from the VSS to the cluster,

I cant comment on the signal from the cluster to drive the actual speedo itself, I dont think there is any voltage stepdown or freq change to the signal, however you will want to check