PDA

View Full Version : Cl9 cai

ChaosMaster
02-03-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm wondering if there is any benefit in installing a CAI in my CL9. It's already got a K&N drop in filter (doesn't do anything, but thought I was replacing the original anyway, might as well go better). Seems like one of the cheapest options for modding my car.

3RotaRX
02-03-2012, 06:28 PM
yes theres benefits..

lets in cool air
Better fuel consumption
louder VTAK
makes your engine bay look cool with black/polished tubing
bang for buck when it comes to power gain(not much)

check the CAI threads and see what people say about them.

ChaosMaster
02-03-2012, 08:37 PM
I question it because I've seen Dyno reports where people have had CAI, Exhaust and ECU tunes and only seen 20kw gains at the wheels. I'm sure most of that would have been the ECU.

3RotaRX
02-03-2012, 09:03 PM
yep there isnt much gains on the euro ie I/H/E what power gains were you expecting?

mrgu
02-03-2012, 09:47 PM
if you have the header installed plus the exhuast catback plus the intake . you will prob get a better result. ppl usually start off with CAI then move it's way up~~ INJEN Cai----Weapon header-----Fujisubo exhaust.. most common combination. check on npcan2's build thread.

Fredoops
02-03-2012, 10:47 PM
if you have the header installed plus the exhuast catback plus the intake . you will prob get a better result. ppl usually start off with CAI then move it's way up~~ INJEN Cai----Weapon header-----Fujisubo exhaust.. most common combination. check on npcan2's build thread.

the most common is injen/comptech then DC header and their copies (Topspeed/OBX/Xforce) etc the main thing is header and Cat.

MingZai
03-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Injen injen injen :d

ChaosMaster
03-03-2012, 09:13 AM
I just want to know if I can expect anything. However, after reading up on this a bit. It seems I lose power low down, which isn't really desirable for me, especially since it's my daily car, and I've spend money on making it more comfortable and lux bias than sports. Was hoping for low end gains as that's where I use it most, and better fuel eco now that Premium is 15c above reg.

Fredoops
03-03-2012, 10:32 AM
I just want to know if I can expect anything. However, after reading up on this a bit. It seems I lose power low down, which isn't really desirable for me, especially since it's my daily car, and I've spend money on making it more comfortable and lux bias than sports. Was hoping for low end gains as that's where I use it most, and better fuel eco now that Premium is 15c above reg.

Not with a comptech icebox you dont

aaronng
03-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Should search the old threads since many of us CL9 users over the years have compared the Injen CAI, K&N Typhoon CAI, J's Racing enclosed SRI, GruppeM enclosed SRI and Apexi SRI.

Biggest change will be the induction sound, which is lovely!

MingZai
03-03-2012, 02:46 PM
I still have to do the right up on the J's Racing enclosed SRI :p

ChaosMaster
03-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Lolz, well induction sound isn't what I'm looking for. I spend a lot of time on the freeway, so noise and a harsh ride is the last thing I want. If anyone has any other recommendations other outside of CAI for improving power/fuel eco without making ride/noise worse, or even better improving it, I'm all ears.

HEURO
03-03-2012, 05:24 PM
too much thinking, not enough cold air intaking

MingZai
03-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Like ^

adis
03-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Lolz, well induction sound isn't what I'm looking for. I spend a lot of time on the freeway, so noise and a harsh ride is the last thing I want. If anyone has any other recommendations other outside of CAI for improving power/fuel eco without making ride/noise worse, or even better improving it, I'm all ears.

No matter what CAI you get you will not hear the intake on the freeway unless you are using more than 60-70% of throttle which on freeway you are rarely doing so. Ive got one and it improves power and feel to the car in my opinion.