PDA

View Full Version : [CL9] roof racks + bike rack question (Melb)

terryansimon
03-03-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm thinking of installing them on my car, in the hope that it encourages me to start cycling a lot more than the rate I am doing it now (aka nought!)

unfortunately I bought my car without the racks or rails, so I was wondering if anybody has done an aftermarket install at a shop. what is the price range I'm looking at, and is there a place in Melbourne that does it for a reasonable price?

in case anybody wants to know, it's to mount a carbon fibre road bike. thanks!

chunky
03-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Thule

Dogchaser
08-03-2012, 05:05 PM
I use a boot mount rack on my Euro...
Takes <5 mins to install, and holds my bike rock solid thru all the bends and country roads and speed...
Plus, it clears the number plate, so the plate is still visible....
Haven't been questioned by any cops yet...
I have looked for roof racks myself...but found the boot mount easier (and cheaper)
That said, Victoria loves fining drivers, so check your rules/regs re bike racks...

Dogchaser
08-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Thule

Thule are the most expensive option.....

chunky
08-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Dude can afford a carbon fibre bike....

Bludger
08-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Thule
funny how it's pronounced tool.

chuboy
09-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Plus, it clears the number plate, so the plate is still visible....
Haven't been questioned by any cops yet...
Make sure you get an accessory plate anyway as the plate is guaranteed to be obscured by a bike according to the ADRs. They are only like 30-40 dollars.

terryansimon
11-03-2012, 02:51 PM
thanks for some of the suggestions.

as for the boot mount, I doubt I can use a boot mounted bike rack as I have a spoiler. unless there is a boot mount that is usable with a spoiler in tow.

Dude can afford a carbon fibre bike....

most road bikes have some sort of carbon fibre in them. not exactly an exotic material in the bicycle world, compared to the car world. so just because I can afford a bicycle with carbon fibre in it doesn't necessarily equate to me affording Thule roof racks! :)