PDA

View Full Version : VSS Noob. Car wont start after simple maintainance. Advice need fairly desperate.

PGB
04-03-2012, 01:46 PM
This could set the tone for the rest of my time here but honestly I'm really not as stupid as this will sound lol. Ive owned the car for two years and opened the bonnet 4 times, two of them times was painting it so I'm green as with this thing. Last car had a cable speedo so this is new to me. I read a write up to change gearbox fluid and it said to remove this, realised after there is a filler plug right next to it -.- I changed the engine oil, the gearbox fluid, and put on a power steering belt. Cranked it with the plug leads disconnected to fill up the filter. When I plugged them back in it half started and sounded shithouse like a groaning noise lol Its a d15 non-vtec Aus Spec taxi pack.

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab310/swiftaddiction/VSSCompare.jpg
For the sake of comparison I just wanted to post this to be sure I'm at least talking about the correct part. Would pulling this apart the wrong way stop my car from starting? I did a fair bit of searching but there wasnt anything saying it wouldnt start

I pulled the plastic off the top with the three screws, then the two 10mm bolts. It has been put back together as it was making sure the pin lined up with the other parts. I did try to crank the car once without it plugged in. Would that affect anything?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Kinda like to drive to work tomorrow lol

dc2r-0636
04-03-2012, 02:37 PM
So you cranked it with the ignition leads disconnected ? Did u take out the fuse for the ecu ?
U might have flooded the engine with petrol..

Take the spark plugs out, and the fuel pump fuse out and crank it for abit and try again with it all connected

PGB
04-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Yeah, since learnt the VSS has nothing to do with it. Stuffed the coil I think. Thats what I get for actually looking after it for a change lol. Thanks for your reply though chief.

PGB
04-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Feck I wish I had more contacts here :mad: Anyone is Sydney South/South west selling a Dizzy I could pick up tonight?
Have to catch the train tomorrow, working 7:30-10pm :( fml lol

hmetro24
04-03-2012, 03:05 PM
is it cranking or not starting. if it's not cranking maybe u pulled a wire from the starter motor. otherwise check for spark and fuel.

PGB
04-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Its cranking over, better than ever with its new oil haha Its the coil mate. Done all the trouble shooting. Wont even throw a spark to a screwdriver off the box.

grifty
04-03-2012, 04:28 PM
maybe you burnt out the ignition module since you were cranking the car without the leads being grounded. Your best bet would be to get another dizzy.

PGB
04-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Would be great if I could. Can't really sit around waiting for one to pop up with twin shifts all week. I'll get an ICM and a coil. If they aren't both needed I'll have a spare. I just can't believe that's all it takes to get these dizzy's butthurt. Only gave it two short cranks. Never had any dramas before.

dc2r-0636
04-03-2012, 06:13 PM
It was prbz the original dizzy at the end of its life, and u just killed it off

PGB
04-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Your'e probably right. Not the first person it's happened to either. The easiest topic I've forum searched for , ever :D The more threads I read though the more symptoms like the erratic idle, the occasionally miss and the dancing tacho became recognisable. i think it was genuinely on its way.
I've decided to bite the bullet and by a new one as suggested. Its only $80 on the price of the parts anyway. Who knows, With a new dizzy it might actually have the power to pull the skin off a custard now lol

dc2r-0636
04-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Give it fresh spark plugs aswell, nothing fancy just basic cheap ones

PGB
04-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Your'e getting carried away now! :cool:
I actually put Redline gearbox oil in it today that I had for my old ride. Worth more than the box itself haha

ECU-MAN
04-03-2012, 10:35 PM
you have killed the coil or ICM, no need for a new dizzy, Just need to diagnose and replace the faulty component, search the DIY section for coil and ICM check by EdgeAuto

xclusive_eg8
04-03-2012, 10:51 PM
try this man. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?56224-Coil-and-ICM-Input-Test&highlight=relay & http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2624753 . I did similar thing to my civic, turned out to be internal coil. Feel free to rep ;)

PGB
05-03-2012, 12:17 AM
Cheers guys. All the troubleshooting was done earlier as I said before.That was one of the better write ups. Kudos and thanks to EdgeAuto.
Already explained the reasoning behind buying another unit ECU-MAN. Its no biggie except having to wait for it to turn up.
Going to be a fun week -.-